Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alfonzo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2004, 1:36 pm

I'm rather clumsy when it comes to computers, but my IE keeps getting blocked if i try to open a link. I have this "games toolbar" in my browser now too.

I've run adaware and spysweeper and removed temporary interfiles, but the problem is still there.
Could cleaning out my registry help? (i really don't know) And which program should be best to use then?

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Oct 2004, 1:54 pm

Use firefox:

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=49

TenebraruM

25 Oct 2004, 6:24 pm

alex wrote:

I second that.

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

25 Oct 2004, 9:28 pm

I can't say I have had any problems with my Internet Explorer; thus I don't see any reason changing to another if I really don't have to.

Change is supposedly difficult among those with Asperger's.

Edit: I just downloaded and installed Firefox. There isn't an extreme difference between the two, or is there?

I remember having Firefox for several minutes, but removed it feeling that having IE is fine. :wink:

This may be an odd question (not stupid, as no question is stupid): There isn't anything wrong with having both Internet Explorer and Firefox on your system at the same time, is there?

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2004, 9:52 pm

Firefox blocks popups much more effectively, has less security defects, and most importantly (for me) has tabbed browsing.

And I don't think there's any problem having both IE and Firefox installed.

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2004, 10:27 pm

I figured those were the answers. It seems as though I should be getting more of these annoying popups, I don't seem to be having any security defect. I don't even see the tab browsing feature. I see where it's located via one of Firefox's websites.

Last edited by Tom_FL_MA on 28 Oct 2004, 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2004, 11:47 pm

I've never had a problem with Ie. I've never had a virus, and the only real crashes with my computer have been hardware related (hardrive broke, etc.. whcih is to be expected). I don't get spyware, and don't have problems with my computer "bogging down" over time.

I use my computer regurlarly, and do much more then most people ussually do. (so its not simply because I don't use my computer).

Heck, i even have tabbed browsing with IE.

It really isn't that hard to maintain your computer, but most people would rather have one that doens't need maintainance.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2004, 12:11 pm

I used Netscape Navigator almost exclusively until too many sites looked like crap using it as optimised for IE users.

While IE5 and 6 are not bad browsers compared to, say, AOL (try our free trial and knacker up your internet settings forever, mwhahahaha) it must be said they are prone to freezing up, and the pop-up loops/ trojan linked persistant dialog box irritation only improved by using the pop up stopper which I found slowed browsing down to a crawl.

So I downloaded Firefox last night....

what a revelation. clean, small, very quick, easy to configure, good links and search bar, stable (so far), reliable easily adjusted pop up blocker - great stuff.

dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2004, 4:19 pm

I see how you access the tab browsing feature, but if you have several sites in one folder, you have too many tabs to go through.

Also, if you cancel that window and want to stay on a site you were on, you have to open up another window.

Geez. 8) I used Netscape for a brief time with Internet Explorer, so I obviously understand you can have two browsers on your system at the same time.

Last edited by Tom_FL_MA on 29 Oct 2004, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfonzo

26 Oct 2004, 4:35 pm

alex wrote:

Thanks, much better indeed :)

magic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 12:31 am

[I resubmitted this post, because it has been accidentally deleted. It was originally located earlier in the discussion.]

Tom_FL_MA wrote:
I can't say I have had any problems with my Internet Explorer; thus I don't see any reason changing to another if I really don't have to.

Change is supposedly difficult among those with Asperger's.

Thinking along the same lines, I never migrated to IE, but used Mosaic, Netscape and then Mozilla. When IE 1.0 came out, it wasn't really appealing to migrate to anyway. I don't use Firefox, because it is basically Mozilla with trimmed down preferences menu. I prefer more configuration options than less.

Quote:
This may be an odd question (not stupid, as no question is stupid): There isn't anything wrong with having both Internet Explorer and Firefox on your system at the same time, is there?

Since IE is "an integral part of Windows", and unfortunately there is no way to uninstall it, I have two browsers installed on my machine. (Actually three, as I also have the old Netscape 4.7). This has been so for many years, since the times of Windows 95 (I didn't have Mozilla then, of course). I did not notice any problems.

ekukiela101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2004, 1:45 am

My laptop had Firefox and IE with no problems. On my Linux system, I have Opera and Firefox on it. Firefox is a much better browser, though.

XP_Data
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2004, 3:10 am

I've been getting pr0n popups recently and switching to another browser didn't help. :x I installed Windows XP SP2 and the popups have gone away. :D

I have Firefox and IE on my computer. I use IE for accessing Windows Update (which doesn't work in Firefox :( ) and use Firefox for everything else.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also use IE if I'm dealing with big files (I have GetRight installed which doesn't work too well with Firefox).

Last edited by XP_Data on 25 Nov 2004, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2004, 4:05 am

There was a way in win98 to completly remove IE. But programmers used parts of IE so some programs could not access any networks at all but maybe thats a good thing heeh :-)

Zephyr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2004, 5:51 am

I have IE and Mozilla Firefox running concurrently on my laptop. I think Firefox is a much better browser, it's fast, effective and it blocks stupid pop-ups! :)

Beanie
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2004, 6:55 pm

I run Mozilla for browsing and IE for Windows updates. I block IE at all other times. I use PestPatrol and adaware for adware. I also run a tightly configured firewall and antivirus software at all times. I update all of these programs regularly so that they will function properly. So far I have had no problems. I have fixed many computers that have ceased to function due to multiple adware programs and viri. Adware and browser hijacks seem to me to occur with the greatest frequency and many of these malware programs must be removed manually. Ick! I would highly recommend running maybe a trial version of PestPatrol to scan for a browser hijack in your case alfonzo and be sure that your firewall software and antivirus software are up to date. Antivirus scans should be completed atleast once per week. Same for adware scans. You have probably already taken care of the problem, but if not then maybe this will help. There is a trial version of PestPatrol Corporate at this website:

http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Collateral.asp?CID=63383&ID=5222

I have not downloaded it so I cannot tell you if it is fully functional or not. I would try to find that out beforehand. If you get lucky it may work for you and keep you from having to remove the problem manually.