Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Rack
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2009, 5:40 pm

Recently I've picked up World of Warcraft which I enjoy in a weird way, but I'm on a PVE server and occasionally regret not really being able to participate in open world PVP. Only I came to a realisation it may be an aspie thing that I can't really do a PVP server. Open world PVP can happen when I don't want it to and I think this disruption is something I can't deal with. Does anyone else get on with PVP servers or is this an aspie thing?

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2009, 8:01 pm

It's a real PITA. I'm on a PVP server and somewhat regret it. I have learned how to get out of fight quick ( Love freeze trap and cheetahing away).

Might be better if honor was more honorable ( ex not waiting till their engaged with a mob to attack them, or when they selling/quest talking). Couple of times i waited till i knew there would be no one there to turn in quests.

As for the random nature of it, i got an addon that warns you before they attack. Not 100%, but good enough, really only get jumped when they drop off mount and fall on me ( pallys and mages, or the lucky guy with slow fall method).

So your not missing much. OWPVP is mostly ganking anyway.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 10:18 pm

I personaly avoid PVP servers due to the unfond memories I had with such servers back in the days of Everquest's popularity. Also due to one butt hole from the alliance, that I, as a Horde rogue, had the displeasure of finding in the battle grounds. The prick laughed at everybody, when he won. What an idiot.. Sadly, me winning over him several times didn't make me feel any better.

They have free tranfers to PVP servers. I'm not doing it for the below reasons.

A: meating more like sir Nightwelp (nightelf) Laughstoomuch, and having to force myself to deal with them being around.
B: Stuck up pricks who spam the same line just to be stupid to the point that it would feel addicting to beat them up for real... "If you don't like being killed don't play here.." Just to act mighty.
C: Noobs who flaunt their gear, then kick your butt.
D: The ones who hang around your corpse (like flies next to poop), waiting to kill you on spawn cue.

...Basicaly noob players who think they are the best of the best, despite anyone else can do the same things. God... :? Yes, I find them in PVE, and RP, but it's probably fuller of those in PVP, in my very brief experiance. It's not an aspie thing.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 11:27 am

My husband moved us to a PVP server a few years back and I've hated it ever since. I don't want to leave the guild and my husband's character to go to a different server though.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 11:44 am

I've been playing on a PvP server because that's what my wife and cohusband went with; however, I have noticed that there's a lot of ganking in disputed areas, which I don't understand. (Really, guys - you don't get any honor or experience for killing someone thirty levels lower than you are, you can't rob my corpse, and even if you could I don't have any gear that you have any use for. Why on Azeroth are you doing this?)

Recently, my wife has been expressing disenchantment with WoW; my subscription lapsed some time back, and if she decides to quit WoW, I may look into playing City of Heroes or Champions Online instead. (I'm kind of intrigued by CO's concept of first creating your hero, then creating his archnemesis, who gets XP at the same rate as the hero...)

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2009, 7:15 am

i love pvp, it really lets me get back at the horde for being total douchebags towards me ages ago, + the fact, i'm gonna go ret pvp when i regear my pally with some awesome gear. :twisted:

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2009, 7:44 pm

Rack wrote:
Recently I've picked up World of Warcraft which I enjoy in a weird way, but I'm on a PVE server and occasionally regret not really being able to participate in open world PVP. Only I came to a realisation it may be an aspie thing that I can't really do a PVP server. Open world PVP can happen when I don't want it to and I think this disruption is something I can't deal with. Does anyone else get on with PVP servers or is this an aspie thing?

1. Transfer your character to a PVE server (costs $25)
2. Learn to fight back and defend your character
3. Quit the server and make a new character on a PVE server
4. Pick another class that can handle themselves better in PVP situations

Those are your only options. I suggest picking one.

The former things have passed away."

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:40 pm

To me, a PvP server has its moments. When you're a lowbie, it can REALLY suck. When you're a high level and well-geared, it can be good. Though I never did go in for dungeons or arenas, I just preferred to play the game my way, by myself. I would run around ganking people for the hell of it, and doing my QD dailies for gold.

Now I am waiting... in 1 week I should finally get WoTLK for my birthday and will be playing again and I can NOT wait. I have a level 70 gnome rogue and a level 70 dwarf hunter just waiting to be leveled up, but due to the cost of WoTLK and the financial problems I have been having until this month, I haven't been able to level my guy up so I got bored and stopped playing. Though I may roll PvE and create an undead rogue or something and then transfer it over to a PvP server. Of course I've yet to try a Death Knight and want to do that as well.

toliman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2009, 11:33 pm

i picked a pvp server for the illusory 'extreme' ness, but the reality is, there's just more silly character names than on the PVE server, and most times, you can ride by an alliance player as horde, and never have to stop or wave. at the same level though, you just always have to keep watching. the first time i rode into nagrand in burning crusade, a rogue literally dropped out of the sky to kill me in 3 seconds, and i didnt want to play for about a week, it just shocked me that badly. still, i've only been killed a few times, i can even look it up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-stat ... san&n=Joli
heh. 36. seems low.

to save time, there's a macro/addon just for pvp, not just vanaskos. i.e. auto-emotes. they wave, you wave, dance, you auto-dance, they do /train, you do, etc.etc.
cant remember the name, but it's helpful. kinda. helps out a lot.

as for the actual PVP, i still hate it. when there was a BG team behind/infront/beside/around in general, i didnt mind, but the speed in which one dies at a low level was disheartening and cruel. especially as a mage, my very first character. he just lies around town selling my stuff now.

but, as a warlock, you can rush in, 'tag' everyone with a curse, and keep on running away, which is akward, but the only way to survive being run down by any 3-4 much, much better geared players who can kill you in 2 hits. when you get to 80, it takes 6-8 really good hits, so, about 8 seconds. it's the 'kill or be horribly killed and humiliated' playbook in battlegrounds, but that's the game.

as for wotlk, it's all about achievements. endless achievements. ridiculous achievements. etc. the music's fantastic, the trip to level 80 is about 100-200 odd hours of grinding, but you can do about 3-4 hours a day and still have fun. i can't say about the costs, but i ended up selling my old rarely used DS lite a few weeks earlier, before lining up to the grand midnight opening, and that was a giant waste of time.