Some weird mood swings combined with weird views of life...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:31 pm

I have some wild mood swings. There's two phases I usually go through:

First phase:

I'd be energetic, selfish, happy, and have an insane motivation to reach goals inspired by my fantasies of power, money, girls, and anything self-centered. My confidence goes off the scale, and anything that interferes with it pisses me off. It's like I can do ANYTHING, and this is backed up by my insane motivation. I tend to do things without thinking cuz my ego is off the scale. I also become a dick and say or do mean things.

Second phase:

Depressed, guilty, lazy. not motivated at all, and suicidal. Usually I end up regretting what I said and did in the first phase from my selfishness. I put other people on a pedestal and become overly self-conscious.

This always leaves me confused. I know people can normally feel happy and sad, but this is a mood swing from one extreme to the other. It's like going from a psychopath to being depressed. I'd like to have a more congruent personality and be more emotionally stable.

I'm not too sure of who I really am or who I want to be, so I guess this is what causes my mood swings. It's not like it's destroying my life, but I would like to be more personally and emotionally stable.

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2009, 8:13 pm

sounds exactly like bi-polar disorder to me... quite a few aspies have bi-polar as well as AS (myself included)

if you are ok about taking medication, then there are tablets that can help level your mood out. i take them now (after resisting it for years) and it makes life a lot easier.

get it checked out if you think it's worth it. wikipedia has some good basic info about bi-polar if you want to take a look.

take care... best wishes

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2009, 2:09 pm

Yeah, that does sound a lot like bipolar disorder. It is manageable with medication.
That first phase you mentioned is known as mania, and it can lead to some very reckless and self-destructive behavior.....and it can get progressively worse and lead to psychosis.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 2:51 pm

its also manageable with nutrition and some other things. generally people with bipolar are low in omega 3 fatty acids and b vitamins and minerals and amino acids. also look into having your thyroid checked thats a common causes, along with you adrenals though you may have to go to a naturopath for accurated reading not all adrenal problems are caught with convetional blood tests. and also look into beeing checked for heavy metals, candidae, food allergies enviromental toxins

do a search on alternative bipolar treatments
and find a naturopath in your area.

you dont want meds they are the road to ruin. I have been there

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

nightbender wrote:
its also manageable with nutrition and some other things. generally people with bipolar are low in omega 3 fatty acids and b vitamins and minerals and amino acids. also look into having your thyroid checked thats a common causes, along with you adrenals though you may have to go to a naturopath for accurated reading not all adrenal problems are caught with convetional blood tests. and also look into beeing checked for heavy metals, candidae, food allergies enviromental toxins

do a search on alternative bipolar treatments
and find a naturopath in your area.

you dont want meds they are the road to ruin. I have been there

I've tried managing it that way for the past few years. I do agree with some alternative treatments for bipolar disorder. I eat a very well balanced diet. No processed foods, lots of fruits and vegetables (including dark greens like spinach, kale and chard). I eat fish at least 5 times a week (salmon and fresh sardines are my favorite), so I doubt I'm deficient in Omega-3's.

One thing I've been looking into is light and dark therapy. My little light box can almost completely prevent my annual depression in the fall and early winter....and darkness is a surprisingly effective treatment for mania, although it's not a smooth transition.

It feels horrible to be manic and surrounded only by darkness. It takes about 24 hours of being awake and manic in the dark before I fall finally asleep and crash. The last thing you want to do when you are manic is lock yourself in a totally dark room, with no TV, no I-pod, no cell phone....no computer, no light to read with. I'm looking into getting a pair of glasses that block out blue light, to sort of trick my brain into increasing melatonin production....not sure if that will work.

I currently don't take any medication and I have Bipolar I Disorder....essentially I am playing with fire. I still cycle. I still get manic, I don't sleep for days at a time and I end up psychotic, Although my episodes are more manageable...they aren't gone.

In my area naturopaths aren't covered by medical insurance, and I really don't want to pay $200 for every visit, and even more for tests and supplements...I have looked into it, and I just don't think I can afford it.

I still am considering going back on medication. I just had a bad experience with meds last time.

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 8:34 am

Sounds just like me. 8O

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 7:39 pm

I dunno about medication. I'm too self conscious to go talk about it with my parents. I will try the diet thing out. If I do get the courage though, I should go get a diagnosis.

I did a bit of research on bipolar disorder, and one thing that doesn't match me is that I don't really stay awake for longer in the (hypo)mania stage. Can I still be classified as bipolar, or am I just narcissistic? I often use selfishness to deal with my stress and s**t, especially for irrational emotions.

I dunno why, I always come across emotions that make no f*****g sense whatsoever and the only way I know to deal with em is to adopt a selfish view on life. I can't think of an example right know, cuz I'm not aware of it til I come across it. Psychoanalysis anyone? lol

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 8:36 pm

It's so hard to figure out because everyone is different. You can't know what a drug will do until you try it. My friend is bipolar and had a couple of episodes recently. When the new drug made her hallucinate, she was on her own. Her shrink didn't want to know nothin. I had to take her to the hospital and watch her flip out and scream for a horse tranquilizer. I don't understand why they think it's ok to give that stuff out and not be there to supervise.

If "AceOfSpades" does want to try some Rx, there's got to be a way to find someone to help.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2009, 8:00 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
I dunno about medication. I'm too self conscious to go talk about it with my parents. I will try the diet thing out. If I do get the courage though, I should go get a diagnosis.

I did a bit of research on bipolar disorder, and one thing that doesn't match me is that I don't really stay awake for longer in the (hypo)mania stage. Can I still be classified as bipolar, or am I just narcissistic? I often use selfishness to deal with my stress and sh**, especially for irrational emotions.

I dunno why, I always come across emotions that make no f***ing sense whatsoever and the only way I know to deal with em is to adopt a selfish view on life. I can't think of an example right know, cuz I'm not aware of it til I come across it. Psychoanalysis anyone? lol

A decreased need for sleep is only one of the symptoms of hypomania/mania, and while it is common, it's only one of the symptoms, and you don't need to have every symptom. During hypomania it's actually pretty common for me to get a perfectly normal 8 hours a night for a while.

I've been completely manic and psychotic but I've never been delusional.....I'll have every other symptom of psychosis (including hallucinations), but never delusions. So does that mean I'm not Bipolar I?? Because I don't think I have super powers, and I don't think I'm famous? I still experience disordered thoughts, hallucinations, and derealization....all are symptoms of psychosis.

Anyway. You could try eating better and maybe look into light and dark therapy as an alternative treatment. Use exercise as a healthy way to burn off extra manic energy. Learn how to put your motivation to good use. But be warned.....it can and probably will worsen over time.

This contains some interesting reading material and links to studies supporting light and dark therapy as a possible alternative treatment.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightDark.htm

Maybe see a psychologist instead of a psychiatrist to start off, so that way their first thought isn't going to be what meds to prescribe to you to fix you. I have had some bad experiences with meds myself, so I'm a bit wary of them..... but my little bipolar sister can't live a normal life without hers, like many other people with bipolar disorder.

If you find you behavior when you are manic is really getting you into trouble discuss it with you parents, ask them if they notice changes in your behavior.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 9:06 am

AceOfSpades wrote:

I did a bit of research on bipolar disorder, and one thing that doesn't match me is that I don't really stay awake for longer in the (hypo)mania stage. Can I still be classified as bipolar, or am I just narcissistic? I often use selfishness to deal with my stress and sh**, especially for irrational emotions.

I dunno why, I always come across emotions that make no f***ing sense whatsoever and the only way I know to deal with em is to adopt a selfish view on life. I can't think of an example right know, cuz I'm not aware of it til I come across it. Psychoanalysis anyone? lol

also look into biofeedback wich is effective for treating bipolar, it trains your brain so that you have the correct brainwaves.

the point is meds are a quick trip into psycholand. THe things these drugs can do to you mania is preferalble. its costing my family a fortune to fix the meds damage done to me. You wont be told about how the drug affects your body, about side effects toxic main actions withdrawal wich invetible comes even when your still on the drug, they can impair you to the point where you can leave the house take care of your hygiene add 2+2 speak you wishes know whats going on or even destroy your identity. THey cause severe neuropsychological and nuerocogntive damage as well as life endagering medical problems.

I wouldnt broach this with your parents at least not in the beginning. Imediate family members can greatly interfere and become extremely controlling and conterproductive and disputes with them are the number one cause of hospitalization. Talk to a trusted aunt uncle best friend teacher. Of course seeing a naturopath would require your parents to pay for it if you dont have your own job. I talk from expereince.

Remember strange moods/swings can be the symptom of a medical problem that has nothing to do with bipolar and if you see a psych it will never get dianosed and treated.

you can find a good nd off of here

Association of naturoapathic doctors