AM i doomed to be a total loser forever?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 8:49 pm

Recovery is dragging on and on and on. I have mad progress but only to rediscover how awful i really used to be. CAn i ever get to where i want to be? or am i doomed to an endless string of failure?

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 10:16 pm

I don't get it. The topic question is based on the false premise that you are a total loser.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 11:16 pm

thank you.

i was refereing to the fact that i failed at everything i ever tried in life

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 11:29 pm

You're only as much of a loser as you think you are. Why do you have so much doubt?

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:17 am

I don't know how old you are. If you are 88, I would guess that you will continue to be a loser until death, but you never really know.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:21 am

You're changing, so that's positive isn't it...maybe you're focusing on the past too much? The future looks better, especially now you can see an improvement in yourself. Don't beat yourself up - only people who never try at anything, or go beyond their comfort zone, never fail :wink:

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Mar 2009, 9:53 am

Hi nightbender---I haven't talked to you in awhile. I find there are two main groups of us autistics---ones who love being autistic, and ones who do not like being autistic. I love being autistic. Reason??? I love the interests and gifts it has given me. So...here is my advice to you.

Treat your autism as a gift. Have you opened that gift? If not, you need to in order to discover what is in it. What you will find, if you nurture and accept your autism, is a vast array of fantastic things. You will discover gifts of interests and talents. Then, you need to put those interests and talents to use. Please do not dwell on the bad things---they will only continue to drag you down. Look at the good and autism can be like a big toy box.

So nightbender---what are your interests? What are your passions? What are your talents?

I want to work with you on this. I am no psychologist, but I feel like I can offer my help if you like. And I have had my problems too---I have been to several therapy sessions in order to be a better father and husband over issues that I thought needed improving. But I still try to look at the positives. Respond back to me here, and let me know what you think.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:52 pm

the thing is im very sensitve too changes in myself and the enviroment, im still stuck on opurtunities that didnt quite materialize and mistakes made in the past. Half the i will start something and forget what it was i was trying to do.

I suppose i expect myself to be done already, and instead this stuff just drags on and on and on.
Worse i have noone except my mom to really support me and she is swamped with her paper work and keeping the famliy running.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:11 pm

Hi Nightbender:

You said in your post that you're already back to where you used to be: that's definitely progress. Even better (although it mightn't sound it), you say you realise 'how awful' you used to be: that means you've already progressed further, as before you were oblivious to that fact.

I know it's tough, but try not to dwell on what went wrong in the past; whilst it's tempting to try and make sense of things, it's a bit like trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle with half the pieces missing, as you'll never know exactly what the other people were thinking. Try and block the memories for a while, and then come back to them when they're less raw.

The guilt and obsessive thoughts will eventually go away, and you'll be left with the learning experience.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:13 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
I don't get it. The topic question is based on the false premise that you are a total loser.

nightbender wrote:
... i was refereing to the fact that i failed at everything i ever tried in life

... which pretty much defines the initial claim.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:05 pm

thats the story of my life, every thing has to be 3 times as hard as it should be and and take 7 times as long and be done over and over again when it should have been done right the first time

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:10 pm

And your reason for starting this thread is ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:52 pm

dont remeber acutally

i start lots of stuff only to forget why i did it.

mostly just because its agrivating having a long drown out process especially when things were going so much better in the beginning

mmstick
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 5:18 am

Xelebes wrote:
You're only as much of a loser as you think you are. Why do you have so much doubt?

Exactly

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 5:24 am

I would offer some words, but I'm afraid I feel the exact same way right now.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 4:09 pm

Xelebes wrote:

because everytime i get close to success something comes along and screws it up that has nothing to do with anything i was responsible for. Its seems that i may have a intracble problem wiht my brain that noone have ever really heard of and noone has any idea how to fix. My nd when i described it said thats a problem only the top nuerologists and the top 1% of the of the top university hospitals could treat and she said homeopathy may be able to help but she wasnt sure.

I dont want to be crippled for the rest of my life. and with my history if i dont become independant they will put me in some kinda institution when my parents are gone. My mom and the only people i talk to for support when tell them about this problem they reply to me with metaphysical mumbo jumbo wich would be usefull for general healing and recovery but not for something like this that requires actually treatment. my mom seems to be of the mind that my all i have to do is will it away and it will go away. (they never taught my mom science or critical thinking when she went to school) my dad is delusional and blames everything on autism.