What do you get if you divide science by God?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:52 pm

Interesting article on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7955846.stm

What are the thoughts of the WP members? Who do you agree with below - or none of them?

Quote:
A prize-winning quantum physicist says a spiritual reality is veiled from us, and science offers a glimpse behind that veil. So how do scientists investigating the fundamental nature of the universe assess any role of God, asks Mark Vernon.

The Templeton Prize, awarded for contributions to "affirming life's spiritual dimension", has been won by French physicist Bernard d'Espagnat, who has worked on quantum physics with some of the most famous names in modern science.

Quantum physics is a hugely successful theory: the predictions it makes about the behaviour of subatomic particles are extraordinarily accurate. And yet, it raises profound puzzles about reality that remain as yet to be understood.

The bizarre nature of quantum physics has attracted some speculations that are wacky but the theory suggests to some serious scientists that reality, at its most basic, is perfectly compatible with what might be called a spiritual view of things.

Some suggest that observers play a key part in determining the nature of things. Legendary physicist John Wheeler said the cosmos "has not really happened, it is not a phenomenon, until it has been observed to happen."

D'Espagnat worked with Wheeler, though he himself reckons quantum theory suggests something different. For him, quantum physics shows us that reality is ultimately "veiled" from us.

The equations and predictions of the science, super-accurate though they are, offer us only a glimpse behind that veil. Moreover, that hidden reality is, in some sense, divine. Along with some philosophers, he has called it "Being".

In an effort to seek the answers to the "meaning of physics", I spoke to five leading scientists.

1. THE ATHEIST

Nobel-prize winning physicist Steven Weinberg is well-known as an atheist. For him, physics reflects the "chilling impersonality" of the universe.

He would be thinking here of, say, the vast tracts of empty space, billions of light years across, that mock human meaning.

He says: "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it seems pointless."

So for Weinberg, the notion that there might be an overlap between science and spirituality is entirely mistaken.

2. THE SCEPTIC

The Astronomer Royal and President of the Royal Society, Martin Rees, shows a distinct reserve when speculating about what physics might mean, whether that be pointlessness or meaningfulness.

He has "no strong opinions" on the interpretation of quantum theory: only time will tell whether the theory becomes better understood.

"The implications of cosmology for these realms of thought may be profound, but diffidence prevents me from venturing into them," he has written.

In short, it is good to be humble in the face of the mysteries that physics throws up.

3. THE PLATONIST

Cambridge physicist Roger Penrose differs again. He believes that mathematics suggests there is a world beyond the immediate, material one.
Spider in moonlight
Can science explain all of life's meaning?

Ask yourself this question: would one plus one equal two even if I didn't think it? The answer is yes.

Would it equal two even if no-one thought it? Again, presumably, yes.

Would it equal two even if the universe didn't exist? That is more tricky to contemplate, but again, there are good grounds for a positive response.

Penrose, therefore, argues that there is what can be called a Platonic world beyond the material world that "contains" mathematics and other abstractions.

4. THE BELIEVER

John Polkinghorne worked on quantum physics in the first part of his career, but then took up a different line of work: he was ordained an Anglican priest. For him, science and religion are entirely compatible.

The ordered universe science reveals is only what you'd expect if it was made by an orderly God. However, the two disciplines are different. He calls them "intellectual cousins".

"Physics is showing the world to be both more supple and subtle, but you need to be careful," he says.

If you want to understand the meaning of things you have to go beyond science, and the religious direction is, he argues, the best.

5. THE PANTHEIST

Brian Swimme is a cosmologist, and with the theologian Thomas Berry, wrote a book called The Universe Story: From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era.

It is avidly read by individuals in New Age and ecological circles, and tells the scientific story of the universe, from the Big Bang to the emergence of human consciousness, but does so as a new sacred myth.

Swimme believes that "the universe is attempting to be felt", which makes him a pantheist, someone who believes the cosmos in its entirety can be called God.

Personally I'm with Roger Penrose the "Platonist". Strangely his arithmetical argument is exactly the same logic I used to independently form my own opinion on the nature of reality. I go further though and think that mathematics does not describe the universe, but rather mathematics is the universe; but I'm not going to elaborate and bore anyone here with my personal thoughts on the subject unless pressed to do so.

So which stance is closest to your understanding / beliefs?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:53 pm

{Science} ÷ {God} = {}

The result is a null set.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
{Science} ÷ {God} = {}

I used the article heading as the post heading, granted it is a bit 'woolly', but so I guess is the article itself. Null sets aside what are your thoughts on the article Fnord? You seem to be rooted firmly in reality, such as it is in the quantum world.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 4:31 pm

X divided by 0 equals 0. So there. :wink:

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
{Science} ÷ {God} = {}

{Science} ÷ {God} = {I.D theory}

{Science}+{Fake degrees} ÷ {Religion} = {New Age healing devices}

8)

Edit: For you how didn't get it, I'm with the atheists.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:20 pm

Henriksson wrote:

No.

x ÷ 0 = ∞, which is undefined.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2009, 5:33 pm

I'm with No 1. the Atheist, & I don't think anyone who would go higher than No. 3 is a reasonable person.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

No.

You're both wrong. You can not divide by zero.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:52 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

No.

Sure you can! It's required to explain String Theory ... uh ... right. Never mind.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:23 pm

Curious question, what do you get by dividing Science by Humans/Humanity?
{science} ÷ {humanity} = :?:

I think I would go along with number 2, the skeptic.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:27 pm

Physics has nothing to say either for or against spiritual entities. Physics is about observable phenomena. The phenomena is as close to reality as we can get. Anything beyond that is not a scientific matter at all.

ruveyn

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 9:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

No.

Damn, you guys beat me to it. My first thoughts (I guess I'm in a coding state of mind) were a divide by zero error. In mathematics, it would be undefined. In set theory, you can not divide by zero.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 9:10 pm

I feel like a Platonist tonight.

Fnord wrote:
{Science} ÷ {God} = {}

Division is silly. This should be set based:
Science\God = Science ∵ Science∩God=∅

And religious interpretations of quantum theory are teh bunk.

Obres wrote:
Damn, you guys beat me to it. My first thoughts (I guess I'm in a coding state of mind) were a divide by zero error. In mathematics, it would be undefined. In set theory, you can not divide by zero.

You're all a bunch of sissies. Real men divide by zero - no apologies! My physics professor and my economics professor divided by zero like there was no tomorrow, and they ain't gonna be told to do otherwise.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2009, 2:46 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Physics has nothing to say either for or against spiritual entities. Physics is about observable phenomena. The phenomena is as close to reality as we can get. Anything beyond that is not a scientific matter at all.

But Religion says that spiritual entities interact with the physical world, if this is true it should eventually be possible to hypothesise about the details, observe and measure this interaction as it happens and in short use Science to understand these spiritual entities.

Or more likely, they don't exist at all :)

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:49 pm

"What do you get if you divide science by God?"

You get $cientology.