timestarved and getting angry

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 7:07 pm

Not enough hours in a day:-
most of them wasted on the train, waiting for trains, not getting seat on train and standing all journey
or being a not very good mother
....science is coming not even second but 3rd or 4th,
embroiled in battle with university disability services about me not being meant to do group work because I can't deal with other people (which is generating more having to deal with people) ,
no hobbies,
no relaxation
cant focus to do the things I need to do (report write-ups, research) as feel too fragmented
feeling trapped by obligations, even obligations I might like, because they all STEAL TIME.

and in general am a RAT ON A WHEEL. :( :evil: :cry:

I cant see any solutions, but am getting angry and just needed to say it somewhere.

RoisinDubh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2009, 9:34 pm

I wish I could give some advice to help, but all I can say is that I'm in exactly the same situation. My weekday life has become so horribly overstimulating I can barely think straight. And given the type of person I am, my daily commute is actually far more stressful than the job itself. I can't take the subway for various reasons (not even getting into that....though I'm sure you can figure out what a few of the reasons are), and my car service actually gets me to and from work quicker than the train would, but because I'm living so far outside the city at the moment, and can't move right now, it's anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours each way, every day, and a lot of that time, especially in the morning, is spent sitting in traffic. :( Not exactly the best way to start a work day, since by the time I actually get there, I'm so frazzled, I'm no good to anyone till I have like a half hour of alone time.

Not having time for personal interests sucks as well. I've recently forced myself to start making time for the gym, since it's a better release for stress than anything else I can think of, but sometimes allotting the time for that isn't easy. I don't know how I'd cope if I had children....finding time to treat myself well is hard enough.

There was a time when I worked and went to school at the same time, and still made time for myself and my interests. I have no idea at this point how I did that....perhaps it was because I was younger and had more energy? Who knows....

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 10:52 pm

RoisinDubh wrote:
my car service actually gets me to and from work quicker than the train would, but because I'm living so far outside the city at the moment, and can't move right now, it's anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours each way, every day, and a lot of that time, especially in the morning, is spent sitting in traffic. :( Not exactly the best way to start a work day, since by the time I actually get there, I'm so frazzled, I'm no good to anyone till I have like a half hour of alone time.

I used to have that problem, so I started going in to work early. I missed the heaviest traffic and I had time before the other employees came in to relax and do my sudoku, my favorite stressbuster. Can you do that? Or is there something you can do during traffic, like grocery list, to-do list, reading, anything from your job that you would have to take home or any of those personal interests, since you're using a car service and not driving yourself?

I also used to pack a resistance band (big strip of rubber sold in fitness shops for working out) in my purse and work out in an unused conference room during my lunch hour. It let me have peace and quiet during lunch to be in an otherwise empty conference room, and let me free up the time I had been using to work out after work.

I hope you have good luck coming up with strategies that will work for you.