The reason why you have to comb your hair

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 3:21 pm

Combing your hair is useless except right before you wash it to make it easier to wash. I have no interest in doing it because other people think it looks nice. Why do they think it looks nice, anyway? If it's washed, yes, comb it to show off your clean hair because all of it can be seen more easily; is that it? Is that why people comb their hair? Why do you have to prove that you combed it to make it asier to wash anytime? "It can be ashed thoroughly because it's not in knots" is the only reason I see people finding combed hair attractive. My mother didn't understand that people comb their hair to make it able to be washed thoroughly, so she never told me that, and I didn't know either and didn't pick up on that on my own for years. She just told me that she brushed her hair so that people would consider her normal, and told me the reason why you should do it is "so that you look neat and tidy". But what about alternate styles? And she also said to do it "so that others won't think you're mentally ill". Those weren't good reasons, so for years I didn't do it all the time.

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2009, 3:34 pm

I also do not comb my hair, as I too see no reason to do it.
It sticks out in all directions, but I don't care as it's not in my face or anything.

I have learned when I need to do something that's "Black tie" or otherwise highly sociable (wedding, burial, graduation) it's best to comb it flat.
I guess that people "appreciate it" that you took the two minutes to make your hair look less natural.
Appearantly it's just a social service to others that like combed hair.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 3:36 pm

I have my mother style my hair. I won't leave the house without my hair done because it's kind of the only thing I like about myself.

EDIT: My mother has tor emind me to brush it still and I don't a lot but when I go out I must have it brushed and styled.

Last edited by buryuntime on 02 Apr 2009, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02 Apr 2009, 3:41 pm

I hated having my hair brushed when I was little so my mother had to chase me and sit on my to brush it. Then finally when I was almost seven, she had it cut short so it be a lot easier for her to brush it and quicker and it won't pull as much. That solved our problem.

I still hate long hair because then it's a nuisance to brush and cream rinse doesn't seem to work because it still hurts and there are knots. So short hair, it only takes less than five minutes.

I brush mine because I like to look neat. It's for my ego and it makes me feel better about myself.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 4:09 pm

It massages the scalp, helps with dandruff, stops it from getting tangled to the point of no return...

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2009, 4:27 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
It massages the scalp, helps with dandruff, stops it from getting tangled to the point of no return...

True, but I don't have those problems... Short hair is easy like that :)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Apr 2009, 4:33 pm

im sporting a buzz haircut from now on, usually i let it grow out and then cut it after a few months. i never comb it when it does though

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 5:22 pm

I much prefer the feeling of my hair when it has been brushed. When it is out of its shape it feels uncomfortable on my head and horrible to my fingers, so I try to avoid having it in an unbrushed state for long.

However, this:

Ana54 wrote:
I have no interest in doing it because other people think it looks nice. Why do they think it looks nice, anyway?

reminded me of arguments I have with my mum. You see, I have a missing front tooth, and a false tooth to wear in its place. However, the false tooth is uncomfortable and I actually have to take it out to eat (so its function is purely ornamental). Because of these impracticalities, I see no reason to wear it. But, my mum wishes I would wear it because she says other people will think I look better and so be more inclined to act pleasant towards me.

In the end, I wear the tooth (usually). Not, though, because I care whether random people think better of me for having a full smile, but because it makes my mum feel better (and stops her from nagging me).

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:32 pm

Screw what other people think. It's your hair, and your life.

Don't comb it if you don't want to. But make sure you do want to give up combing it, because it will go into lots of irregular dreadlock-like coils and will stay that way.

Dentu
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2009, 4:43 pm

I comb my hair as I blow dry it to keep it flat when it's shorter. But when it gets longer (like in my profile pic), it's also necessary to prevent mold due to the weather around here. I can't stand bad smells as it is, I don't need a bad one following me around.

Did I mention I'm allergic to mold? Yeah. The blow dry/comb combo is vital to my health.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 5:09 pm

Its weird but after this thread popped up I have starting to pay attention to this. I have never bothered myself with combing my hair but when I recently looked myself in the mirror from the back I did notice it would look better if beeing combed. So I have just stroked my fingers accross it to make it looks more "combed" a couple of times. But mostly I continue as before with not combing it as I feel the hair stay fresh longer when its left untouched...

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 5:45 pm

I find it looks better when it is combed. There is a certain 'messyness' which looks good but after that point it just looks bad. Also, getting out the knots hurts!

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 12:24 am

protest_the_hero wrote:

How very true.
I prefer to run a brush through it even if I go outside for a little bit. I prefer it looking nice than all over the place. I'm so obsessed with my hair that when I get out of the bed and look in the mirror I flatten it, even though I'm just walking around my house.
When I do go out it gets washed, blow dried, straightened and has a bit of product added to it.