I'm not bad 30%  30%  [ 28 ]
Talented 35%  35%  [ 33 ]
Highly gifted 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 94

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 3:47 pm

I'm reasonably good on reasonably uncool instruments. I can play anything on the recorder by ear... I know it doesn't sound like much, but it can be really impressive to listen to... till you see that it's a recorder. Same goes for penny whistle. I can play two recorders at the same time, one tenor, one soprano, playing the "base" on the lower recorder. Doesn't work so well with the penny whistle, since you need more breath control for that.

I play things that nobody's ever heard of, like a hurdy gurdy. It doesn't matter if you can play naff instruments well, nobody's impressed. :roll: However, the only one that I'm really spectacular on is the recorder.

I play the piano to "Jonas brother" standard, same goes for guitar.

L_Lawlliet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2009, 6:54 pm

i don't play music 'cause i've tried and tried to play guitar and piano and i simply turn out to be a fiasco....
even though i wish i could play something, its not that bad 'cause i can draw pretty wonderfully...

Und dir in jeder dunklen nacht erschein'
Und dann fliegen
wir weit weg von hier
Wir werden uns nie mehr verlier'n

anasthasia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2009, 6:41 pm

I play the violin and violoncello and I have perfect pitch.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 7:23 am

I am not bad.

Been almost playing for 4 years.

Here's an exercise I practiced several months ago.

I play it slow then fast.

Sweeping, alternate picking and legato combined.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F2BmRtcpg[/youtube]

Here's something a bit more pleasant for a casual listen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zVK1L1ZuHk[/youtube]

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 12:59 pm

The second piece was really nice. It had a kind of clannady feel.

Actually, right at the moment, I'm feeling pretty good about my musical abilities. I've had three hours of guitar lessons (classical acoustic) and the woman is really pleased, because I'm progressing a lot faster than she'd expect. I'm playing some simple classical pieces (only with my hand in the first position though.) But it actually sounds like I'm playing some really nice music... not only that, I can actually read it!

I'm thinking I should have had proper lessons years ago.

But never mind, it's just an adventure, isn't it?

Judah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Nov 2009, 1:16 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:

"Wait For Sleep"? That's hard to play on piano, not least guitar. But then that's Dream Theater for you..

I am sitting on the moon.

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:25 pm

I was alright, would have been better if I practised. Now I sing and I think I'm a pretty good singer. I'm not perfect at hitting the right notes because I hear the girls and get confused, background noise gets me flustered but I sound pretty good. I'm also pretty good at holding a beat, my timings perfect. Quite often I even lose myself in the song because I love it. Maybe I voted worng and I should have voted highly gifted but oh well. I'm just glad I could post this.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 6:34 pm

anasthasia wrote:
I play the violin and violoncello and I have perfect pitch.
Post a video. I want to see those instruments.

And yes I know asking for self evaluation was a ridiculous idea. This is just like that "what's you IQ?" thread where about hald the people had an IQ over 145.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 7:47 pm

Judah wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:

"Wait For Sleep"? That's hard to play on piano, not least guitar. But then that's Dream Theater for you..

The annoying thing I find with DT is when you want to learn a song of theirs it will mostly be OK and you won't need to practice it much... But then you come up to a bastardly bit like the sextuplets in erotomania and have to practice for a month to get the shortest part of the song before you can play the whole damn thing together.

Stu Box of Box Guitars has put some faith in me, he took a massive chunk off the price of the guitar I've ordered (more than 1/3) and for every customer who comes to him based on my playing I get a 10% commission. Box guitars are guitars with an extra wide neck that has two sets of 6 strings and is designed for touchstyle so expect much better and harder pieces in the future :-DDD chopin, liszt etc.

I'm practically wiggling with anticipation.

@Protest the hero:

"Ghheeenngisss khan is upon us, he slays his betrayers...

DA DA DADA DA DA DADA DADA!"

Judah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2009, 6:09 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
Judah wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:

The annoying thing I find with DT is when you want to learn a song of theirs it will mostly be OK and you won't need to practice it much... But then you come up to a bastardly bit like the sextuplets in erotomania and have to practice for a month to get the shortest part of the song before you can play the whole damn thing together.

Stu Box of Box Guitars has put some faith in me, he took a massive chunk off the price of the guitar I've ordered (more than 1/3) and for every customer who comes to him based on my playing I get a 10% commission. Box guitars are guitars with an extra wide neck that has two sets of 6 strings and is designed for touchstyle so expect much better and harder pieces in the future :-DDD chopin, liszt etc.

I'm practically wiggling with anticipation.

I cover drums to DT. The only truly hard part about it is getting used to their insane time signatures. Portnoy's style is challenging and fun for me, so I don't cover other bands often. Whenever I do it's likely to be something like Malmsteen, Batio or some old-school thrash, and occasionally I do bands like Cannibal Corpse and Mayhem when I want a real challenge.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 6:43 am

Shame you live in Mississippi and not Oxfordshire!

Drummers here can't play jack.

Judah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2009, 7:02 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
Shame you live in Mississippi and not Oxfordshire!

Drummers here can't play jack.

I'm planning on moving sometime within the next few years, but where I cannot say yet. Though it might be Scotland, with a friend of mine.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 3:43 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
Fudo wrote:
not sure i agree that guitarist is "highly gifted" just technically good in a post-80's kind of way.
Are you implying that it's common to play like that? If I could, I'd be famous. He is. He has so many views.

A loooooooooot of people can play like that.

Particular noticeable if you live near a city.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2009, 11:44 pm

I do vocals (basically I sing). I'm alright in both solo and choir but I prefer choir singing.

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2009, 2:10 am

I sing and yes using your voice I believe is using an instrument.
I believe I have the gift of perfect pitch so highly gifted or so my friend thinks.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:58 am

i play guitar im not too bad i can play a few songs but i mainly do my own stuff