Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian (Evil Bible)

Page 7 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 10:11 am

Sand wrote:
The list left out the most obvious sign. It is either made of cardboard and hoisted in a stick or is a sandwich sign with the carrier walking the street. It usually reads "The World Will End In (some number) Days.

I suddenly feel like subverting that by using the data of the sun going Nova in a Sci-Fi... Nothing like saying that the world will end in more than thousand years... :wink:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:10 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
Sand wrote:
The list left out the most obvious sign. It is either made of cardboard and hoisted in a stick or is a sandwich sign with the carrier walking the street. It usually reads "The World Will End In (some number) Days.

I suddenly feel like subverting that by using the data of the sun going Nova in a Sci-Fi... Nothing like saying that the world will end in more than thousand years... :wink:

Quite appropriate whenever you see astro-physicists walking around with sandwich signs.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 3:13 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
Whoever wrote that up is just plain sick and needs prayer.

And when does prayer help sick people?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 3:28 pm

greenblue wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
I'm with Orwell on this one.

well, it was kinda surprising for me to see that considering he defends freedom of speech, I mean, it happens that sometimes someone is accused of being a troll for being unPC, and it appeared to me that that would have been one of those cases. Not to mention that I never took it as something being aimed to members from this site, hence my reply of printing it and showing to few christians I know.

I don't have an issue with people being "unPC." This was just obvious trolling. I don't see how I am contradicting my stance on free speech by pointing out that in this case MrMark was acting like a troll. He can post what he wants, I can criticize it. Free speech all around!

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 8:07 pm

MrMark wrote:
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

http://www.evilbible.com/Top_Ten_List.htm

You made me laugh.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2009, 3:13 pm

The Blind Stupidity of Atheists.

http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?vi ... a94dee337e

Why don't you guys lay off us Christians and go be an atheist in your own time and place and let us live the way we want to.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 6:00 pm

Orwell wrote:
I don't have an issue with people being "unPC." This was just obvious trolling. I don't see how I am contradicting my stance on free speech by pointing out that in this case MrMark was acting like a troll. He can post what he wants, I can criticize it. Free speech all around!

well, I actually don't see what is so obvious about, and it seems to be another case of troll being in the eye of the beholder, in which the term "obvious" becomes questionable, I mean, the issue of wanting to bash the christians from this forum, is something that I doubt, and considering that this was aimed to a fundamentalist position and being quoted from a third party website with a link provided to it, I don't think that to be enough to qualify as trolling behaviour, so I wouldn't be convinced. Posting the very same thing in a christian-only forum or thread, then that would be another issue in which the trolling would actually fit more, and it is not because MrMark was the one who posted, as one could think of appeal to authority or something of the like, which I believe it would be understandable, but if that was posted by a well known atheist here instead, I would still fail to see that as trollish behaviour. Heck! worse things are said in other discussions here regarding the issues about Christianity and no complain about it, when it comes to trolling.

And I can get wether the joke is considered to be bad or of bad taste, but trolling, I highly doubt it.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:41 pm

I agree with Greenblue; there were as many people amused by that list as offended by it. I am not sure it was aimed only at fundamentalist though. The author's intent might have been to bash all Christians, but that doesn't prove that was MrMark's intent.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 6:16 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
8. You recognize that the human brain has gotten smaller over the last forty thousand years, but you're certain that everybody who lived in the human past is dumber than you.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a citation for this?
Ancalagon wrote:
No, falsifiable means that it can be shown to be false. There is no reason to expect that the potential evidence will be physical.

"7 is prime" is falsifiable.
"8 is prime" is falsifiable.
"9 is prime" is falsifiable.

There is no physical evidence possible for these.

I'm pretty sure the usual meaning of falsifiability a la Karl Popper (which would be the relevant person and usage here) is in terms of observations, physical experiments. Mathematical statements are tautologies and are not the same kind of thing.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2009, 3:53 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Postperson wrote:
what a load of self righteous BS, there's obviously a bully gang who chase non conformists off from PPR, you're one of them so it may seem 'natural' and 'right' to you, but it's not. As for the policing of 'popular' or 'unpopular' ideas in PPR... gah, that's just so bereft of.... what is this a teen popularity contest or something?

Ummm.... you'll have to explain what exactly you mean, and explain to me what "bully gang" there is, how this bullying works, and how it is unnatural and not right, and explain to me what would actually be natural and right.

Well, there isn't "policing", but popularity is hard to deny in social behavior. I mean, if you disagree with a person's ideas, you'll criticize these ideas. If a lot of people criticize an idea, then they will feel like there is a hostile audience. If this happens, then they are more likely to post less on these matters. This is all completely natural, and hard to avoid when dealing with people. So, I don't see how your criticism fits in, if you want to explain it, go ahead.

In other words, this forum is a snapshot of society where the Mob Rules. That is a slippery slope I think I will have to pass up.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 5:11 pm

Oggleleus wrote:
In other words, this forum is a snapshot of society where the Mob Rules. That is a slippery slope I think I will have to pass up.

No, it isn't. Rather, in this forum, argument rules. If more people happen to take one particular side, that can make the person defending against multiple people's arguments by themselves feel annoyed. This is a natural result of people being allowed to select their own opinions.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 2:45 pm

Orwell wrote:
Not only are you trolling, but you're flaming a group that is essentially nonexistent here after they were (mostly) chased away last year.

I label this thread "epic fail."

Seconded, now in regard to another member who re-posted the same garbage as the moderator/OP did a year and a half ago.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 4:54 pm

Extremely accurate stuff.

Are there any specific points with which the local Christians would disagree?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 4:56 pm

pandabear wrote:

Why bother, there is no point in endless argumentation over caricaturizations. I might as well kick a dead horse in order to get it to move.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:56 pm

pandabear wrote:

This local Christian finds the original list mostly funny. An extreme exaggeration like most top ten lists are, that sadly might accurately describe a very small percentage of all the Christians ... thank God for the very small percentage part.

I've long seen the inconsistencies in my own religion, but they don't seem like a big deal when you consider the Bible to be God inspired stories, not a completely accurate recorded history; and consider certain constructs to be unknowable mysteries, and not absolutes. The majority of Christians are not literalists.

That said, it looks like there was some ugliness in this old thread and I'd rather lock it, if there are no objections (giving some time for those objections to appear).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 6:02 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
pandabear wrote:

This local Christian finds the original list mostly funny. An extreme exaggeration like most top ten lists are, that sadly might accurately describe a very small percentage of all the Christians ... thank God for the very small percentage part.

I've long seen the inconsistencies in my own religion, but they don't seem like a big deal when you consider the Bible to be God inspired stories, not a completely accurate recorded history; and consider certain constructs to be unknowable mysteries, and not absolutes. The majority of Christians are not literalists.

That said, it looks like there was some ugliness in this old thread and I'd rather lock it, if there are no objections (giving some time for those objections to appear).

Why not lock the new one instead? http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt135510.html