Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 11:40 am

This is incredibly difficult to write because the problem here is so embarrassing on several levels. Some of you here may even know of it by now. Basically, when I was really young, I liked anime and manga. Though technically this refers, in Japanese, to any animation, I am using it here to mean Japanese animation. Then as I started to get into middle school and high school, the school bullies were very very devout fans. Of course, this turned me off to it. About five or six months ago, a friend of mine reintroduced me to it, and I got over the whole thing and at first I really started to enjoy it all over again. Then I started to have this very intense worry about two concepts. First, that I was somehow unfair before his reintroduction. Second, that I am now obsessed over it and somehow an 'otaku.' Am I right in believing either of these, or is it just my usual phobic delusions? Thank you all so much in advance. I hope I do not seem to be too much of a freak.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:52 am

I remember at school, some twats in my class really liked this band "Enter Shikari" and I thought "pfft, twats like that band, I'm GLaD I'm nothing like them." which sorta put me off that band. Although nowadays, Enter Shikari are one of my favourite bands. Perhaps it unfair to judge like this, I'm not entirely sure. At least you know you're not the only one who's like that :wink:

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 12:18 pm

Do you mean I can at least be forgiven then?

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 12:58 pm

erm... YES!

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 1:09 pm

Heh, sorry to be so questioning over it.

Tori-kun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2009, 2:02 pm

There's nothing wrong with liking something you used to be turned off by in the past.
It's normal. It's what makes us human.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 11:10 pm

Its not annoying to others?

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:17 pm

Prosser wrote:
I remember at school, some twats in my class really liked this band "Enter Shikari" and I thought "pfft, twats like that band, I'm GLaD I'm nothing like them." which sorta put me off that band. Although nowadays, Enter Shikari are one of my favourite bands. Perhaps it unfair to judge like this, I'm not entirely sure. At least you know you're not the only one who's like that :wink:

Huge fan of them here, even have a signed copy of The Zone.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 11:49 pm

Vashna wrote:
Then as I started to get into middle school and high school, the school bullies were very very devout fans. Of course, this turned me off to it. About five or six months ago, a friend of mine reintroduced me to it, and I got over the whole thing and at first I really started to enjoy it all over again.

Normally school bullies would harass you for liking Japanese animation, because you are not watching more adult oriented programs such as MTV UNreality shows. It makes no sense. Please explain.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 12:45 am

Even if it bothered others, the point is to make -you- happy. I love manga/anime, and I've got a few years on you if I'm not mistaken. *grin*

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2009, 1:20 pm

I get what you mean, but these bullies were very very devoted anime fans. I guess I did not give it that much thought at the time, but when one is getting bullied I suppose, one does not grant a great deal of time towards the thoughts of the estrangements of their bullies. Forgive me, I do not mean that to sound rude at all. I know what you are saying though about so called 'adult' shows. Is there anything else I should explain? :)

Thank you, makuranososhi, for that :)

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 1:48 pm

I like anime. It's really cute.

On a side note, I don't really hate people for being freaks.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2009, 10:27 pm

Are you saying that I am a freak? =P

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 10:38 pm

Vashna wrote:
This is incredibly difficult to write because the problem here is so embarrassing on several levels. Some of you here may even know of it by now. Basically, when I was really young, I liked anime and manga. Though technically this refers, in Japanese, to any animation, I am using it here to mean Japanese animation. Then as I started to get into middle school and high school, the school bullies were very very devout fans. Of course, this turned me off to it. About five or six months ago, a friend of mine reintroduced me to it, and I got over the whole thing and at first I really started to enjoy it all over again. Then I started to have this very intense worry about two concepts. First, that I was somehow unfair before his reintroduction. Second, that I am now obsessed over it and somehow an 'otaku.' Am I right in believing either of these, or is it just my usual phobic delusions? Thank you all so much in advance. I hope I do not seem to be too much of a freak.

I don't think these are phobic delusions, I think it's pretty common more than you think.

Our society has this idea of what's freaky and what's normal.

I've had many "guilty" things I've obsessed over and tried to get rid of but got back into it. I've now started embracing that part of me.

Hell, I use to hate anime and would even gripe about it on WP........now that I know more about all the genres, I'm a little hooked myself..... :oops:

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2009, 12:23 pm

I take it, then, from what you have written, that I should not feel so embarrassed? :)

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 5:35 pm

I didn't say you were a freak.

Though I've been called one before, and it seems to ring in my mind almost every morning before work. But why should it? It's just a word -- why should it bother me so much? I don't understand.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.