Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

iMark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2009, 12:50 pm

why do so many people expect favors from me without first doing a favor for me?

i am not completely selfish. if someone is in need i will do what i can to help them out.

and it is not so much that people ask for a favor from me that gets to me. it is more that they expect me to grant their request and seem insulted when i refuse. why do they not understand that ignoring me for years and then suddenly expecting something from me just will not work?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 1:14 pm

People are like that, they use people that do not know how to say "No" to requests.

I used to have "friends" that only called whenever their computer were broken, but i learned to say "NO". I got rid of them and told them not to call anymore.

A true friends gives and takes, everyone else is just a burden on you.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 9:09 am

Just say "no". If you say "no" enough times, they'll stop asking. They might start talking bad about you to everybody but "do you really care?" If the other people sympathize with them, then they are a-holes too!

iMark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2009, 12:12 pm

i have no trouble saying no. it is that people expect me to say yes and then get upset when I dont. that is what bugs me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 2:40 pm

I just do stuff for people when I can because it makes me feel better about myself. I don't necessarily expect anything in return. Of course it's much easier when people ask in a nice way. When people act put-upon and try to lay guilt on me for things I didn't do then it's not easy to agree to anything. If people are just honest about their needs I'm happy to help out but if they get manipulative then forget it.