Deciding how 'ugly' I am...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:18 pm

I showed them my new picture:

Does anyone have any idea why I might have gotten so many ones and twos? Am I just that hideously ugly?

The reason this matters so much to me is that I'm looking for conflict resolution between me and the opposite sex. I'm wondering if I should stay inside more often to avoid all the negative appraisal.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

HappyFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2009, 8:28 pm

Well it is not because of your looks I think it is because of your facial expression. In this picture people probably think you look intimidating. So if you change that I think you will get a higher rating.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:33 pm

I agree with HappyFox. Your features are handsome, but the photo makes you look intimidating and unfriendly. You need to take a new photo. This time, don't look down at the camera like a scary giant and try to smile a bit. I think you'll get a MUCH higher rating if you do that.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 May 2009, 9:31 pm

you're a dude. why are you worrying about your looks? its irrelevant...

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 10:18 pm

Because people are far more likely to put 1's and 2's on people instead of thinking about it and giving them a real ranking. Don't take it personal. Internet polls are invariably either frontloaded or bottom loaded, or both, because lazy people don't like to put things in between. You're over 50%. That's a fine ranking.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2009, 12:22 am

PhoenixWolf wrote:
Because people are far more likely to put 1's and 2's on people instead of thinking about it and giving them a real ranking. Don't take it personal.

Right on with that.

Might try something different with your hair mate.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 12:30 am

Ugly??? You're not at all - far from it. Just objectively, I do know others (the NT variety) often just 'randomly' assign their own value-judgment without thought. Also, for them, POPULARITY is their biggest priority - they will invariably assign a popular person as Better Looking. Doesn't mean anything except their little game playing thingy. Expression may be a factor too; people often regard one who is smiling as more attractive.

I suppose attractiveness is partly objective too. I'm female, but just objectively, sans her so-called sex appeal and popularity, I've seen photos of Jennifer Anniston. She's homely at best. Yet still rated as a beauty. But if she were a nobody, and not glammed-up, she wouldn't get a second look.

Charlize Theron is very pretty, and she herself has said it's all about the presentation! She's said if she's at the local grocery with her hair in a ponytail, wearing sweats, and no make-up, no one even notices her. But once she is recognized, suddenly they're telling her she's a raving beauty.

I cannot read a facial expression. In my opinion, some men I think are handsome: George Clooney. Johnny Depp. Julio Iglesias & his son (don't laugh), The Marlboro Man (I do NOT smoke - hate it, but like his masculine look and seasoned look). I think many men of Middle Eastern descent are really good looking too. One popular actor (forgot his name) is good-looking, and he had a surgically fixed cleft palette where the scar shows above his lip. And MikeH106 - yes, you're good looking.

Bet if you told them, "I'm the most popular guy - ever. And a multi-billionaire, dated Hannah Montanna, an heir to the throne and pop star," you'd get 10s.

Forget the 6.5 rating - it's a popularity thingy. Also, plenty of NTs (yes, going to generalize here) do have jealousy. This means, if they perceive you're threatening to them, such as looks-wise, they'll bash you hard.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 3:56 am

HappyFox wrote:
Well it is not because of your looks I think it is because of your facial expression. In this picture people probably think you look intimidating. So if you change that I think you will get a higher rating.

Nope ....let's be realistic a bit , it's not about that facial expression, in fact he's making a manly face expression but if he looks like Hugh Jackman then he would be voted as 10 even with such 'intimidating' facial expression.

mike, your score there is the objective rating you're seeking , you won't get a honest objective rating here.

6.5 is average and not ugly.

Quote:
you're a dude. why are you worrying about your looks? its irrelevant...

What a wrong myth you're spreading there, it does matter for guys too , maybe not as much as girls but it still affects attraction greatly ...

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 05 May 2009, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

desmonami
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2009, 4:33 am

Well you are definitely not ugly. Not drop dead gorgeous either and the rating is sort of bang on so you should be able to get women as most men are around that rating anyway! Smile more often. :) good luck.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:43 am

The whole idea of putting your picture on the internet so that total strangers can "rate" you seems a little masochistic to me. I mean, if you think about it, the people who are going to go to a site like that and rate people are young folks who are hanging around with their buddies, making fun of people. "OMG, check this guy out! Har har har!" What else is the point of those sites, if it's not to make fun of people?

You seem to have nice features; everything looks reasonably symmetrical and well-balanced. You definitely aren't ugly.

You probably aren't aware of this, and perhaps it's just me, but I notice a lot of times people will take a picture of themselves by holding the camera down low and looking into it. That can give a creepy, sexually aggressive look to a photo, because it puts the viewer's eyes right up close to the subject's groin area. Either that or it makes the person look like a really angry parent, who is about to give his three-year-old a good thumping. Seeing a total stranger glaring at you from that angle is very disconcerting, and makes a person (me, at least), go, "Ugh! Yuck! Get away from me!" It's just kind of scary--even though you aren't a scary-looking guy.

Next time, try putting the camera in a position so you are looking at someone at eye-level or close to it.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:48 am

Don't give it a second thought. Women are not all that interested in so called cute guys. Quit putting pics of yourself out there for complete strangers to rate.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 1:53 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea why I might have gotten so many ones and twos?

Not sure, sorry. I reckon some people just pick 1 or 2 for the heck of it.
Maybe you could make it into an experiment. Use different photos with different expressions, clothing etc.

MikeH106 wrote:
Am I just that hideously ugly?

Not at all.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 4:08 pm

I'm relieved to hear you aren't repulsed by my appearance. Now I can feel more confident in public. (I checked the rating again today, and it's now 8.1. Thank goodness that's over.)

Something else occured to me as well: people have the option of 'competing' by rating others of their own sex lower than themselves. That might explain it.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 6:05 am

You are not ugly but you are stupid for thinking you are.

:::)

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 6:06 am

Excuse me? Did I say I thought I was ugly?

(Sorry, I take stupid as an insult. ;) )

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 9:30 am

For what it's worth, websites like that have a LOT of guys on them rating photos. Most of them see another guy's photo and will vote a 1 or a 2. I would put no stock into what HotorNot says unless I was female. Even then I'm not sure if I would, because so many guys only want plastic, fake bimbos and can't respect what a real woman looks like.

From another dude, and one who is very straight and loves women, I don't think you're an ugly guy. You're an average looking guy about like myself, but of course I wouldn't rate another guy on a scale of 1-10 because I don't see other guys in terms of 'hotness'.

Don't be so down about something like that, bro ... 'when teh sex wants u teh sex findz u'.