Feelings of Severe Regret (Perhaps Depression)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 8:59 pm

I am uncertain as to whether I should write of my cyclic sorrows here. I am, at the moment, not in an overly depressed mood. But, thinking of my cause of discontent, I can initiate some of the typical negative feelings, associated with self-doubting, self-hating, or negative thoughts. These self-doubts pretain to a perception of deficiency in cognitive flexibility, fluid intellect, or creativity. Plus anguish over my verifiably slow processing speed.

At times I cannot help but regret my past and wish to change it. It seems that the only way to direct my life in the way I wish to would involve going back, into the past, and altering various circumstances. I curse the conditions of my past and envision, when I have greater mental energy than I do at the moment, any present difficulties as intimately connected to an unbalanced, negligent, and confined past.

I wish to “reverse the clock”, so to speak. I feel disgusted with the way I have developed and feel that only courses of action directed backward in time would alleviate my perceived insurmountable deficiencies.

Looking back to my working poor childhood, a fret over three matters in particular:

•The perception that I was “malnourished”. That is to say, I was feed McDonalds multiple times a week (though this number is variable). I cannot help but contemplate that this disoriented and distorted my cognition; perhaps compounding any processing speed deficit I naturally had, and reduces attentiveness.
•A paucity of memorable childhood experiences. I recall watching television for hours on end as a child. Each day! I cannot help but think of which areas of my brain must have failed to develop as I engaged, profusely, in this passive activity.
•Education (A real bone of discontent, if I ever gain the strength to describe what, in particular, I disliked about this. It is really ego-shattering.).

I cannot help but look at the past and see a set of variables I want to tweak, yet are inalterable. I want to “relive” my life. I feel profoundly unsatisfied with it, I feel there are so many deficiencies I possess which could have been so easily alleviated by differences in my environment during my formative years. I feel that such alterations to the past are the only courses of action which could change matters for the better.

I have realized the precocious this feeling is. Generally, it is people at the end of their lives which wish to relive them. I am feeling such discontent far too early.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2009, 9:54 pm

It hurts to see your post.....I can offer little in the way of answers. My story is similar, I seem to get the idea that you think your parents and teachers should have been more involved in helping you or at least noticing your difference; if so i would say that parents may go into denial about the needs of a functional but isolated child, as far as teachers etc. I feel they don't want to deal with Aspie kids because the kids aren't that social or fun to deal with.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:51 pm

If I were to shed my skin, the layers left, but not the lessons learned, it would not undo what I have done, or grant forgiveness in some better days to come. - VNV Nation, Genesis

We all have our regrets, and wish we could do many things over again. I deal with these feelings constantly as well. But ultimately, there's no going back. No way to go but forwards.

Doncostello
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2009, 3:40 pm

its obvious. you need to learn that regret is in the eye of the sufferer dude. you can shake of regret like a old t shirt if you put your mond to it. i did it so often i now am immune to regret ;)