Can someone help me describe emotions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 2:36 pm

Hey. I was wondering if someone could help me put a name to this emotion, I've got alexithymia, and I guess a few of you guys don't :)

what's that name of this emotion:a sudden spike of anger, followed by a sinking feeling, like you swallowed a full packet of chewing gums. Then you loose all energy, and feel drained and hopeless.

iMark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2009, 2:39 pm

seems like you are describing the anger-remorse-depression cycle.

do not worry.

it is normal.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 2:47 pm

ahh. thanks, I'm glad that it's normal :) Depression is that complete lack of emotion, and feeling that your sub-human right? Or is depression something else, like that choking feeling despite the fact that your breathing fine...confusing stuff 8O

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 3:26 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Hey. I was wondering if someone could help me put a name to this emotion, I've got alexithymia, and I guess a few of you guys don't :)

what's that name of this emotion:a sudden spike of anger, followed by a sinking feeling, like you swallowed a full packet of chewing gums. Then you loose all energy, and feel drained and hopeless.

I think some emotional phenomena don't occur in a large enough percentage of the population to have a proper name. Anger and depression occur simultaneously with me all the time but apparently this doesn't happen with the majority of people. They experience either one or the other but not both at the same time. I think it's an autistic spectrum trait to have all kinds of emotions happening all at once.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 3:35 pm

ryan93 wrote:
ahh. thanks, I'm glad that it's normal :) Depression is that complete lack of emotion, and feeling that your sub-human right? Or is depression something else, like that choking feeling despite the fact that your breathing fine...confusing stuff 8O

The thing I call depression is a very exhausted, empty, hopeless feeling as opposed to the on- the-verge-of-tears sentimental type of sadness I get from listening to a sad piece music or watching a sad film. The former isn't ever productive but the latter feeling isn't necessarily anything negative for me. Society just judges it that way which is a bit idiotic IMO.

The second sounds more like anxiety or panic but I know I sometimes get the exact same reaction from a sudden major disappointment.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 3:59 pm

bitter despair

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 6:43 pm

It seems to me that it's anger-anxiety-depression. One thing (of many) that helped me figure out some of my emotions was to consider the context in which I felt them, perhaps this may help you to figure them out a little?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 2:07 am

LostAlien wrote:
It seems to me that it's anger-anxiety-depression. One thing (of many) that helped me figure out some of my emotions was to consider the context in which I felt them, perhaps this may help you to figure them out a little?

I've wondered if abstract emotions are really just the mental coupling of physiological symptoms to the archetypical situational triggers that cause them. If I pay close attention I notice that almost any emotion I feel has some kind of physical sensation localized in one or more areas of my body. In a person without alexithymia the notion of the sensation and the situation become seamlessly merged by a mechanism similar to sensory synesthesia (like how some people automatically associate numbers with colors). Am I making any sense here?

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 11:00 am

Quote:
Am I making any sense here?

Yes, actually you're making perfect sense. Very interesting though, I think your 100% right. For me it's a little like I usually only feel the physiological effects, hence my difficulty naming my emotions. The only emotion that feels "normal" for me is anger, and that only hits me once-twice a year :lol: