Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 2:22 pm

I often talk to myself, and sometimes I agree with myself as if I am another person. Not sure why, maybe it's to fill out the conversation? :)

Also, having an infant around is great! I can just talk to him like I talk to myself, and it's not considered strange in the least.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 4:10 pm

I do something even worse than talking to myself...or quote things I saw on tv...or talking to imaginary friends. Yes I do think out loud alot but I do something far more unusual and often.

Often I mouth my daydreams out loud. Since childhood I've imagined and made up alot of tv shows and movies in my head...or even just random daydream situations I would wish to be in...and I find myself mouthing the roles that not only I play...but the other characters in my head would play as well. (I supposed I could use this quirk to my advantage if I ever become a Hollywood director or writer...then I can say out loud how I imagine I wanted to see a scene go in my head...except I'm not really discussing this with the actors or crew...ha!)

If I had wished that I had dealt with a certain situation in a different way then I would imagine a new scenario in my head and I find myself mouthing (mostly repeatedly) what I would have to say. Like the other day when I was trying to drive out of this really complex stip mall, this lady was blocking the way infront of me waiting for another car to get out of this parking space in this busy parking lot that I had to drive through in order to get out. When I drove around her she must've assumed that I was trying to steal the parking spot she was waiting for and proceeded to call me a b***h as I drove pass her thinking I was giving up on having to fight her for the spot(I had the windows rolled down so I clearly heard her). Being slow-minded as I am I starting thinking to myself "f**k you lady, I'm not trying to steal your precious parking space!" I found myself mouthing this out numerous times on the drive home. Thank god it was just me in the car.

I know this was going on since I was in 7th grades cause I know the classmates were constantly giving me s**t for it. Of course I didn't realize then that there was a different between thinking out loud and...uh daydreaming or imagining out loud? Seriously...this is not even normal talking-to-yourself, people catch me doing this all the time and constantly criticize me for it and they still think I'm normal?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 5:13 pm

Go to your local electronic store or Newegg.com.

Buy a cheap bluetooth headset. Wear it around.

Everyone will think you're on the phone with someone. :lol:

That's my plan if I find myself unable to be discrete about it.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 5:29 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Often I mouth my daydreams out loud. Since childhood I've imagined and made up alot of tv shows and movies in my head...or even just random daydream situations I would wish to be in...and I find myself mouthing the roles that not only I play...but the other characters in my head would play as well.

God, yes. I thought I was the only one who did this. :oops: It's how I got into writing fanfiction stories in the first place. Luckily, I had a friend who didn't mind acting out the parts with me. We'd "write" our stories as we went, and sometimes stop and say, "No, wait, that wasn't right. Go back to..." I still do this when I'm writing dialog.

Regards,

Patricia

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2009, 6:38 pm

Talking to yourself is not a sign of craziness. It's an outdated saying. I have been talking to myself ever since I was a kid. I didn't know it until someone told me that when I was around 8 I told them that I talk to myself out loud when I have a problem to solve.

I still do this and I have come up with several different ideas and musical concepts to implement. Anyone who talks down to you over it just say "This is my way of brainstorming. What is your method?"

SweetEvilCindy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2009, 6:47 pm

I talk to myself when no one else is around. I do it mostly to practice talking, to practice a certain way of talking, I suppose. I've been doing this since I was a child. It is kind of embarrassing to be caught, though. :oops:

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:59 pm

SweetEvilCindy wrote:
I talk to myself when no one else is around. I do it mostly to practice talking, to practice a certain way of talking, I suppose. I've been doing this since I was a child. It is kind of embarrassing to be caught, though. :oops:

I will "pre-talk" conversations I intend to have with people during the day, or "post-talk" conversations I had with people during the day.

SweetEvilCindy

25 May 2009, 7:20 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
SweetEvilCindy wrote:

I will "pre-talk" conversations I intend to have with people during the day, or "post-talk" conversations I had with people during the day.

I do that, too.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2009, 7:31 pm

I am trying to stop myself from talking to myself, I usually chew gum to stop myself.

I also like to verbalize my daydreams.

www.stewartmango.com

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2009, 9:00 am

I do that a lot.

Sometimes it's whisperish echolalia. Some times it's actual conversations. Mostly it's just random stuff. 8O

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 10:07 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
SweetEvilCindy wrote:

I know what you mean. I have to have things planned in advance, and replay them later to actually understand what happened. I have a hard time processing these things real-time. I have to plan conversation, or else I go into autopilot, and end up with superficial reponses, I may show complete ignorance when I should intimately know the topic. If you were to have a conversation with me, and I were to say "I don't know" more than once or maybe twice, the statement is not that I don't know the answer to a question I've been asked, it's I'm not certain how to continue this...

This is partly why I still haven't told my mom about my AS. I have no idea how she'll react. I'm reasonably certain she won't react badly, but still don't know how she'll react, so, I can't plan the conversation effectively.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 11:33 am

kc8ufv wrote:
This is partly why I still haven't told my mom about my AS. I have no idea how she'll react. I'm reasonably certain she won't react badly, but still don't know how she'll react, so, I can't plan the conversation effectively.

Would it help anything? Does she need to know? In my case, my mother has always accepted me for who I am, despite teachers and other people telling her I was unusual and "should be tested." If I told her, she wouldn't see it in the positive light that I do. She would most likely feel guilty that she hadn't figured it out or hadn't had me tested.

I think the fact that I didn't know growing up was extremely important in defining me as I am today. For my situation, not telling her is the least I can do in gratitude for a fantastic, supportive upbringing.

The_Phantom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2009, 3:00 pm

People think I am crazy all the time, and pretty sure I have a anxiety disorder. Result from being bullied in school. Had a drinking problem too, and towards the end of my drinking career. Found myself talking out loud in bars, in bath rooms. No matter what anyone does to you. Please don't go down the path I went.
Stop drinking and started hanging out with people, and the problem seem to be going away. To bad these so called experts don't do a study on truck drivers. Most of the ones I run into seem to be talking to themselve all the time. Must have something to do with being lonely. However, most doctors want to give these people medicine so they don't do this habbit. Be careful if a dcotor finds out who we are. We will all be on some form of medications. They need to deal with the real issue. Which is we need to hang out with people. Insetad of being by ourselve.

Can talking to yourself be the results of a anxiety disorder?

awetism
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2020, 10:53 am

This talking to self is known as "scripting." I do it all the time, when I am in the shower, my room, etc. It is a form of self-soothing and stimming to help me deal with anxiety and pent up energy. If people are unaware of scripting, they could assume it is a psychiatric condition so it is important to be aware and educate others. I am glad I am not alone in doing this.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 3:27 pm

I have always done this, mostly to organize my thoughts, but also to help me remember something until I can write it down, and sometimes to organize, or work thru my feelings on something. I mostly do it when I'm alone, but sometimes when I am around relatives, and for some reason it does bother them a little. I came up with a solution that helps some. If you have a phone with a memo app, or a portable cassette player, use your device to take "memos" of your solo conversations. If anyone asks about your talking to yourself, you have the phone or cassette player right there, and can truthfully say that you were making a voice memo. Just remember to delete old memos after a day or two, unless you need the info in a particular memo for something.

Hope this helps you out. :D

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 5:03 pm

I talk to myself frequently

Sometimes I am rehearsing something that I want to say in what I think will be a stressful situation, sometimes its just making general comments on things or describing them. The process seems to help me think more clearly about things.

At other times I sometimes like to say words that I find odd or funny out load, possible repeatedly.

I will only do either of these things out of earshot of others - though sometimes I am caught out. Mrs V will often comment that she has heard me in some part of the house or garden.

It doesn't concern me - in fact its part of my mental makeup, Ive done it all of my life.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community