Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 11:40 am

How do I know when I have used just the right amount? Today I tried it for the first time, I am yet to see how well it works for kepping my hair a little more under control. But how do I apply it properly? how do I know when I have enough?

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2009, 1:31 pm

It depends on the strength of the hair spray and your 'do'.

If I'm wearing my hair down, it's just past my shoulders, and with loose curls, then I spray lightly, as I'm looking to 'set' the curls but have movement still.

If I'm tossing it up in a pony tail and slicking my hair back, I use more to hold the strays, but leave the 'tail' alone.

Hope this helps.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 1:32 pm

Xinae wrote:
It depends on the strength of the hair spray and your 'do'.

If I'm wearing my hair down, it's just past my shoulders, and with loose curls, then I spray lightly, as I'm looking to 'set' the curls but have movement still.

If I'm tossing it up in a pony tail and slicking my hair back, I use more to hold the strays, but leave the 'tail' alone.

Hope this helps.

Significantly more help than wikihow was...

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2009, 2:01 pm

What is your hair doing that your trying to control??

Is it frizzy? Trying to maintain a style??

There are other products out there than can also help you control your hair it just depends on what your trying to achieve.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 2:04 pm

Trying to have an easier time maintaining my style when I have to go out in the wind. My hair isn't quite long enough yet that it has the weight to do this well enough on its own. I also am trying to change the way my hair wants to part from being in the centre to the part being on the left side, and if the wind catches it right now, it just moves it back centre. My hair also more naturally flows to the right, so a part on the left is easier than on the right.

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2009, 2:08 pm

Ah ha, OK......so try a little mouse or gel prior to blowdrying your hair. Just rub it in real well, then blow dry your hair into the style and then set with hair spray. That should do the trick in retraining it.

BTW, for what it's worth, even my hair gets attacked in the wind. There's no real 'control' of hair in the wind unless your looking for the Mrs. Brady helmet hair.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 2:20 pm

Xinae wrote:
There's no real 'control' of hair in the wind unless your looking for the Mrs. Brady helmet hair.

lol... What I am looking for is to be able to quickly and easily get it back into position after I come back inside.

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2009, 2:23 pm

I totally understand. I usually just run my fingers back thru my hair. Once I do my hair, if I do my hair, it's on it's own for the rest of the day lol. I have found that if I take the time to use certain products in my hair, depending on what I'm doing/looking for etc, then my hair pretty much maintains itself thruout the day with little help from me.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:47 am

^ Same here. :lol: I'll work hard at night conditioning to keep my hair strong but don't care much for style. I'm the weirdest mix of maintenance and tomboy carelessness. :?
What I like to do is rub a small glob of mousse in after I've washed it and comb it through. Sometimes it tames a bit of the frizziness. If you keep making your preferred parting, it should start to fall naturally into it after a while. Hope that helps some.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:49 am

activebutodd wrote:
^ Same here. :lol: I'll work hard at night conditioning to keep my hair strong but don't care much for style. I'm the weirdest mix of maintenance and tomboy carelessness. :?
What I like to do is rub a small glob of mousse in after I've washed it and comb it through. Sometimes it tames a bit of the frizziness. If you keep making your preferred parting, it should start to fall naturally into it after a while. Hope that helps some.

I'm getting to that point... but after having used conditioner a few times now, it is becoming apparent my hair is too wavy for my current part.