Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspermlm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2008, 12:10 am

Anyone out there into GPS mapping? It's a great hobby and means that I can now go and explore the world any get back home without asking a total stranger directions. They will of course tell you, however, I only ever remember the 1st direction and the instruction like, :D "when you see a big tree on the right, you have gone the wrong way". Do you know what I mean? What GPS does is give you visual clues and you could if you really want to, add the big tree as a point of interest, so you know where you got lost.....

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 12:29 am

Not that in particalar but lately I have loved google maps and I do remember how places look and where I am suppose to turn.

Aspermlm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2008, 12:32 am

Well you can draw a map of where you have been and then see them on Google maps also

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 12:36 am

I worked as a GIS technician for 4 years, and I am pursuing my Bachelor's degree in geography.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 May 2008, 4:38 am

Yep, I have TOM TOM for the car and I have a hand held garmin GPS that I plot points with then I can take those points, place them on a sat map of the area (Geographic information systems, and TIM TEX may know more about this then I do) but then I have a map of where I have been.

It is a great hobby, I have been collecting points and plotting for years now!!

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 2:08 pm

I just use GPS for 2 purposes, 1 is to find out where the hell I am if I don't quite know, the other is to get from a to b

I have a Bluetooth GPS receiver, which is self-sufficient as it has a solar panel fitted, a PDA phone, and some navigation software :)

cannot get lost again, but I have a good sense of direction anyway, lol

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 4:16 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
Yep, I have TOM TOM for the car and I have a hand held garmin GPS that I plot points with then I can take those points, place them on a sat map of the area (Geographic information systems, and TIM TEX may know more about this then I do) but then I have a map of where I have been.

It is a great hobby, I have been collecting points and plotting for years now!!

I've never used a handheld GPS before. I used one of those backpack things with the antenna attached.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!