Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2009, 5:41 pm

Is anyone else running it?

I ran Vista Ultimate (on a laptop with exactly the same specs) before I switched to Ubuntu, & I have to say I'm surprised by the quality! No crap, no junk, though I must say there still is an excess of services that don't need to exist in RAM 24/7...

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2009, 8:09 pm

atari2600a wrote:
Is anyone else running it?

I ran Vista Ultimate (on a laptop with exactly the same specs) before I switched to Ubuntu, & I have to say I'm surprised by the quality! No crap, no junk, though I must say there still is an excess of services that don't need to exist in RAM 24/7...

I just switched to making Windows 7 my primary OS today.

I agree with you 100%. The OS is powerful, has hardly any crappy useless features included but the default turned on services could have been lower.

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2009, 8:36 pm

By the way, I am not very familiar with the Windows 7 services yet, so I've set everything under the 'tweaked' setting on the Windows 7 services BlackViper page:

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

My settings are even more barebones than that, but you should free up quite a bit of ram by setting everything to the 'tweaked' setting on that page.

Anyway.... Damn, is Windows 7 ever a breath of fresh air.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 9:00 pm

From what I can see, it will be more worthwhile to invest in the 64bit variant of the operating system. I don't like the way new operating systems require more and more memory. It seems to put the point of new = better and faster, but if the software is taking advantage of these, the speed improvements will seem similar to that of an age old OS...

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2009, 3:20 am

Trying out voice recognition, still a little buggy but maybe with a little training it can not suck.

OMG I just noticed the compatibility option to kill aero! Now I can play games in not-sucky mode w/o killing aero permanently! Yay!

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 11:17 am

atari2600a wrote:
Trying out voice recognition, still a little buggy but maybe with a little training it can not suck.

OMG I just noticed the compatibility option to kill aero! Now I can play games in not-sucky mode w/o killing aero permanently! Yay!

Please elaborate on the compatibility option; I'm a geek, but not THAT geeky.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 6:55 pm

have you tried out "chkdsk /r d:" too?
I'm interested if it really hang Windows 7.

QuadCoreDueller
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

I have been using win7 since its early days. I have been a pretty mainline OS tester here at that place in Redmond. I can tell you that I don't like it, from it's birth to it's RTM. Of course I use TinyXP though, so that's some stiff competition.

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2009, 10:27 am

QuadCoreDueller wrote:
I have been using win7 since its early days. I have been a pretty mainline OS tester here at that place in Redmond. I can tell you that I don't like it, from it's birth to it's RTM. Of course I use TinyXP though, so that's some stiff competition.

XP is fast as hell, and I like speed a lot, but Windows 7 is seriously a nice upgrade from Windows XP despite it being somewhat slower than XP.

When switching to it (Windows 7) you notice a slight decrease in speed from Windows XP, but it's actually quite minimal to be honest with you. The thing I like about Windows 7 is that it doesn't have ret*d settings enabled by default like most of the MS operating systems of the past did. Windows 7 really allows you to customize the hell out of it, so you can really get lots of out of it.

My only criticism is that I believe that there are too many useless services running by default.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 10:14 pm

I have been trying to install 7 on my desktop for a while now... it keeps hanging during the install...

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2009, 2:09 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I have been trying to install 7 on my desktop for a while now... it keeps hanging during the install...

Are you sure it's hanging & not just taking forever?

When I installed it in a vm, it took me no more than 1/2 an hour, but upgrading from a fresh vista install (I was streamlining an XP upgrade) took HOURS!

QuadCoreDueller
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Aug 2009, 3:11 pm

Chair wrote:
QuadCoreDueller wrote:

XP is fast as hell, and I like speed a lot, but Windows 7 is seriously a nice upgrade from Windows XP despite it being somewhat slower than XP.

When switching to it (Windows 7) you notice a slight decrease in speed from Windows XP, but it's actually quite minimal to be honest with you. The thing I like about Windows 7 is that it doesn't have ret*d settings enabled by default like most of the MS operating systems of the past did. Windows 7 really allows you to customize the hell out of it, so you can really get lots of out of it.

My only criticism is that I believe that there are too many useless services running by default.

Way too many services, way too much page file in use at IDLE 1.15gbs. Are you serious?
I see a Tiny7 Release coming soon.

For some reason, teh RC and the RTM hate my dvd drive. Whenever I do anything with dvd drive + ANYTHING else on the pc, Windows Explorer slows and shuts down, leaving me to a restart. 50% of the time, it then loses ntoskrnl. WTF Ever.

Im gonna stick with Win7 though. DX11 support, minor tweaks in conjunction with SSD. Flashy, that's about it. Homegroups is useless to me, as is libraries. Im working on cutting those out of the OS completely, but there are a lot of network dependency apps and services that utilize both.
AND WHAT IS WITH THE DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS?!?! ! Now there is C:\users, you would think negating the whol Doc and settings... Bah whatever.
I could keep going but you get the idea.

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2009, 4:15 pm

I think it looks pretty shiny. Tempted to grab an OEM copy when building my next box (which, I'm reliably informed, I can do if I purchase a motherboard and processor) - or even an off-the-shelf copy - and dual-boot it with something penguin-flavoured. And get my teeth into it from fairly early in the day, for a change, rather than being a late adopter.