Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 8:53 pm

greengeek wrote:
I use a Quad Core with Windows XP Home Edition.

Does it make use of all four cores?

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2010, 8:54 pm

Yes it does.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 7:34 am

I would check the task manager just to be sure. x4 core would only be beneficial when using intense applications. Some applications are still using only a single core. I do try to tweak options to enable use of "multi-core" graphics and CPU

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:23 am

the maximum memory address that a 32 bit OS can access is 2^32 which is 4,294,967,296.

i think windows xp (32 bit) can utilize up to 32 cpu's (cores).
if you go to task manager, and go to the "processes" tab and select a program that is running and right click, it will give you a floating menu which has a menu item called "set affinity". Image
if you click that option, you will see

as you can see i have a quad core and therefore the other core selections are disabled.

some older applications are not designed to be able to be mulithreaded and they will not work on a quad core, but in that instance, you can just deselect cores 1 to 3.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:45 am

I have an Intel i7 (quad core).

I run a dual OS of Windows 7 64-bit and Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit.

Both run very well, but I haven't explored the XP side to see how it recognizes the CPU (with hyperthreading, the Win7 side sees it as 8 cores).

I'll try to remember to check on this tonight and post up.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 11:29 am

Considering the near-Monopoly that MS has on Operating systems, it would be suicide to come out with a processor that couldn't handle it..;)

that being said, there's 64-bit Operating systems going back to at least XP.

that being said, the apps also have to support dual or multicore processing, addressing, yada, and yada...;)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 6:09 pm

64 bit computing has been around longer than people imagine. Intel decided to do 64bit only, whereas AMD decided on a 64bit version that will accept 32bit code.

Where would the world be without AMD?

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2010, 6:14 pm

Keith wrote:
64 bit computing has been around longer than people imagine. Intel decided to do 64bit only, whereas AMD decided on a 64bit version that will accept 32bit code.

The Intel System could handle 32-bit code put the processor had to emulate a x86 Processor because the Instruction Set was different, that slowed down x86 programs and made them run slower than native speed.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:02 am

I checked the hardware configuration on my XP side (32-bit). It recognizes the i7 core (quad core) as having 8 CPUs; just like the Win7 (64-bit) side.

So the answer is YES.

IIRC, XP didn't have much support for multi-core CPUs at first, but they long ago patched it because they weren't uncommon (motherboards with more than one CPU socket) and dual-core CPUs were starting to become more common in production. To make XP compatible, the matter needed to be addressed.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:17 am

Keith wrote:

Using Macs.

I've seen plenty of computers with XP 32 bit and they see the quad cores. But as was mentioned above, you have to manually assign programmes that don't run well on multi-core systems to their own setup. I've done it with my dual core when I have something proc-intensive running, just stick it on one and everything else on the other.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2010, 8:48 am

nodice1996 wrote:
People I know have been claiming the best windows xp can handle is a dual core. I think that 64 bit edition should handle a quad just fine, and there is no reason why it wouldn't and would like a clear answer.

I have run XP Pro 32 and 64 on my Quad with no problems (except the 3.25gb memory cap in 32bit...also bear in mind this limit is the combation of System ram and Graphics ram!), I used both versions for intensive applications (Music production and 3D) without any problems, and had no problem using my full 4GB system ram and 1GB v ram across 2 gfx cards in 64bit.

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2010, 4:59 pm

Yes it can, 32 bit and 64 bit are only for RAM I think as with 32 bit you can only have up to 3gb, wheras with 64 bit (I have that with w7) the sky's the limit.... or at least the number of DIMM slots and your motherboards highest RAM capacity.... but you know!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 5:38 am

I think Windows fails with Intel.... It can't recognise their processor with HT as actual cores.

From what I remember, there is a Windows 2000 with 64bit capability. I might need to look into that one and investigate.

The RAM limit in 32bit mode can be exceeded by enabling 36bit mode which will open the address space to 64Gigabytes using Physical Address Extension (PAE) With this, Vista could be around for a while yet. Except the one with 8GB RAM limit. That's so low, why did they even bother?

maleb
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2010, 11:57 am

Keith wrote:
I think Windows fails with Intel.... It can't recognise their processor with HT as actual cores.

From what I remember, there is a Windows 2000 with 64bit capability. I might need to look into that one and investigate.

The RAM limit in 32bit mode can be exceeded by enabling 36bit mode which will open the address space to 64Gigabytes using Physical Address Extension (PAE) With this, Vista could be around for a while yet. Except the one with 8GB RAM limit. That's so low, why did they even bother?

Not quite accurate. Windows itself could recognize HT since the 2000 days, though it wasn't well managed until the VISTA/WIndows 2003 architecture.

There was a 64bit version of Win2k, but I believe it was Itanium only.

Also, PAE only allows access to above the user mode limits only if the application specifically supports it. So for example, SQL server has coded support for PAE. Your run of the mill user app, such as Games, browser or Office will not.