Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2015, 12:07 am

I'm a penniless teenager so I always want more hardware than I can afford, but as of now I have a Macbook with Snow Leopard, an old PC laptop with Linux Mint, Kali Linux and Win 7, a desktop tower PC that I use for scrypt mining, some cell phones in various states of repair and a bunch of other odds and ends. My mom thinks that I have way too much electronic crap, but I like it. :D

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2015, 1:41 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Is there anybody else in that situation? I don't see what is wrong with it, is it acceptable? I mean I have the freedom to buy whatever I want whenever I want, don't I? Do you own more than one computer for yourself? Is there anything wrong with two or even three?

I don't believe in this politically correct "shaming" of people because they're hogging too many resources. Let's aim that kind of nonsense at the billionaires with 150 foot yachts and private jets the size of 737s.

I have 3 desktops, a laptop, an ipad
I have the following setups:

2600K/Maximus IV Extreme B3/2X4GB DDR 3 1600/GTX 980/HX850
G3258/Z97 Anniversary/2X2GB DDR 3 1600/500B
5150/AM1B-ITX/4GB DDR3 1600/CX500
A4-5000/1X4/1X2GB DDR3 1600

I've built the 3 desktops I have. The oldest one is from 2011 and the other 2 are from late 2014. I have a gaming/office PC, an HTPC, and my mother has her PC in her room. The laptop doesn't get much use. It's more for travelling. And the ipad was a christmas present to my mom in 2012.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2015, 1:43 am

Why don't you upgrade to OSX Yosemite? It's very easy to do.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2015, 1:55 am

I have three computers currently. One desktop, one laptop, and one laptop/tablet combination. I don't see an issue with it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 2:01 am

Back when I had the space for it, I used to have whole networks of computers set up in my basement, so I could play multiplayer games with my friends in the same room. We spent so many hours playing StarCraft, Diablo II, Quake 3... Nowadays I only have one computer I use on a regular basis, my desktop, though I'd like to have a working laptop again. I'm thinking I might do a restoration job on my Alienware, then possibly sell it.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 10:47 am

i own about 10, but i use 3 of them regularly, the rest are obsolete/spare laptops (add in 3 owned/used if you count tablets/smartphones)

i got my main machine, which is powerful and i use for gaming and calculations, a light/weak ultrabook which i use on the road, if i feel that a tablet isn't gonna do the trick (like when i need to type a lot), and a low-power, high storage tower (donated the screen as a 2nd for the main machine) which acts as external storage (remote desktop, teamvieuwer, inet access and wake-on LAN)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Nothing wrong with owning more than one, but there is a thing called obsession. When your house looks like a scrap yard = too much.

Got 3 myself. One laptop at my moms place i use to surf and play some games on, powerful games puter at my place and another laptop somewhere in an unopened moving box that i used to code on.

(Also got an Amiga 1200, C64 and C128D but i do not use them regularly).

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 6:05 pm

I don't think that there is anything wrong with owning them it in and of itself, but buying new computers fuels the computer industry to create more. As much as I like computers, that has to end. There are toxic things inside computers that pollute the Earth when they are thrown out, and, most, if not all, are manufactured by exploited cheap labor, poor people whose health is affected by these toxic things.

For those reasons, this machine on which I'm now typing will be the last new laptop/desktop that I ever purchase.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2015, 10:10 pm

starkid wrote:
I don't think that there is anything wrong with owning them it in and of itself, but buying new computers fuels the computer industry to create more. As much as I like computers, that has to end. There are toxic things inside computers that pollute the Earth when they are thrown out, and, most, if not all, are manufactured by exploited cheap labor, poor people whose health is affected by these toxic things.

For those reasons, this machine on which I'm now typing will be the last new laptop/desktop that I ever purchase.

That's so so so ridiculous, and I'm going to try, as an armchair expert on computer hardware, to explain why.

1)The RoHS (reduction of harmful substances) act in China has greatly reduced the amount of toxic substances used in the production of microchips and circuit boards.

2)I should hope we are fueling the computer industry to create more. If we stop advancing computers, we will never achieve true artificial intelligence, which, IMO, we will need to solve REAL problems in the future like overpopulation, food scarcity, transportation on a world with 12 billion people, designing of interstellar propulsion, etc.

3)Computers do not pollute the earth when thrown out. Computers are THE MOST recycled consumer product in the world. Every computer you put out on the curb goes not to the landfill, not to the recycling yard, but to asia or south america, where it is scrapped for copper, gold, and other precious metals and minerals, which are then sold back to the computer industry and used in new parts. Is there zero waste? No. There is waste. But this is mostly recycled. The only thing that can't really be recycled is the substrate of the printed circuit board.

4)Production of computers does not make anyone sick. It's the scrapping that can make people sick if done improperly. As far as people being exploited, people come from all over the countryside BEGGING for a job at Foxxconn so they can make ASUS, ACER, APPLE, etc products. While we might not see what they make as very much money, they make a hell of a lot more than they do out in the country as peasant farmers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3Bfjn4inA
^
Watch this Gigabyte factory tour in Taiwan. You will see that the production of computers is a relatively non-toxic and hygienic process.

Say what you will about these jobs but I'd rather work on a motherboard production line than as a manual laborer.

By the way, "not buying computers" is a moot point. There is a PCB with a processor and memory in your modern fridge, your modern stove, your modern microwave, your modern cordless phone and cell phone, your printer, your fax machine, your photo copier.. and don't even get me started about the electronics in your modern car...

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 7:27 pm

Well let's see what's in my inventory of computers.

1.) i7 system w/ 16 gigs ram and dual 24'' displays. <--- My main workstation computer.
2.) core 2 quad w/ 4 gig ram. <--- Connected to my TV in the living room.
3.) core 2 duo w/ 8 gig ram. <--- That's my network/file server running Ubuntu Linux.
4.) core 2 duo w/ 4 gig ram. <--- This is my workshop computer.
5.) I have about 5 laptop computers from P4 to core 2 <--- Just around for experiments.

6.) I don't know if this counts as computers of not. But I have 24 Raspberry PI's and 8 Beagle-bone blacks.

So I have a total of 9 computers( 33 if the Rpi's and BBB's count.)

I also should mention that I have a GS3 and GS5 phone as well. if those count as computers

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2015, 12:06 am

LupaLuna wrote:

1.) i7 system w/ 16 gigs ram and dual 24'' displays. <--- My main workstation computer.
3.) core 2 duo w/ 8 gig ram. <--- That's my network/file server running Ubuntu Linux.
5.) I have about 5 laptop computers from P4 to core 2 <--- Just around for experiments.

6.) I don't know if this counts as computers of not. But I have 24 Raspberry PI's and 8 Beagle-bone blacks.

I also should mention that I have a GS3 and GS5 phone as well. if those count as computers

You HAVE to cluster those rb pi's and make a ghetto supercomputer!!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 2:01 pm

LupaLuna wrote:

Nice! How did you get so many RPis?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm

mistersprinkles wrote:

That's so so so ridiculous, and I'm going to try, as an armchair expert on computer hardware, to explain why.

Your reasoning skills are too terrible for me to even bother beyond this sentence.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

We aren't computer geeks at our house but I do believe that a personal computer is a personal computer, so we each have our own computer. We also have a tablet that we share and we both have older iPhones. Mine is on a plan and the one my son has doesn't function as a phone but he uses it for net access and music (it was an old one I had on a plan that I paid out).

I always cry for kids who have to share the family computer. They call them personal computers for a reason! /literal thinker

If I could afford to have more computers in the house I certainly would, and I wouldn't think there is anything at all wrong with that.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2015, 12:18 am

ominous wrote:
We aren't computer geeks at our house but I do believe that a personal computer is a personal computer, so we each have our own computer. We also have a tablet that we share and we both have older iPhones. Mine is on a plan and the one my son has doesn't function as a phone but he uses it for net access and music (it was an old one I had on a plan that I paid out).

I always cry for kids who have to share the family computer. They call them personal computers for a reason! /literal thinker

If I could afford to have more computers in the house I certainly would, and I wouldn't think there is anything at all wrong with that.

I don't feel bad for kids who have to share the family computer. If you have everything you could ever want at your family home growing up, you're less motivated to get out there, make a name for yourself, and buy all the objects you lust after with your own money :).

I'd probably buy my kids their own computer too though, if I had kids. I never will though because I'm a very irresponsible person. I'd forget them at the supermarket 3 or 4 times and the government would take them away from me.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 1:48 am

:lmao: Having a computer you can call your own and learn on as a kid is hardly = 'having everything you want at your family home growing up' in 2015.