Have you ever used LINUX?
Yes 97%  97%  [ 35 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:10 pm

Most people don't even know that they are already using Linux based devices as it's in routers, smart TVs, Android phones (the kernel at least), smart watches, the bios of PCs, the multimedia unit of cars aso. I guess Linux is the most used operating system today.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 9:38 am

amboxer21 wrote:
i3wm over Gentoo on my personal laptop, and i3wm over pure Debian on my work computer.

Gentoo, very brave.lol

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 9:38 am

quite an extreme wrote:
Most people don't even know that they are already using Linux based devices as it's in routers, smart TVs, Android phones (the kernel at least), smart watches, the bios of PCs, the multimedia unit of cars aso. I guess Linux is the most used operating system today.

Supercomputers as well :P

BlueOysterCultist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2020, 11:18 am

pyrrhicwren wrote:
Has anyone here used or use LINUX? Ever played Runescape?

Yes to Linux, no to Runescape. I run a mix of Slackware and OpenBSD on my computers at home. The machines with wifi have Slackware, and the machines that only have wired Ethernet run OpenBSD.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 3:51 pm

pyrrhicwren wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:

Supercomputers as well :P

You are right of course. It scales very well. I'm kind of living from it. :mrgreen: I have to provide my system software beside of Windows for more then 20 quite different Linux based platforms now. Most platforms are different embedded devices beside of some few standard distributions.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

I've been a Linux user since 2008. I started with Ubuntu and used that for 4 years. I switched to Linux Mint and never looked back. Last month, I wiped Windows off my laptop for good, but haven't done the same to my desktop since I use it as my main gaming rig.

Rails
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2020, 10:59 am

I have been using it for awhile. Ever sense my first hand me down. I think I was running White Box which is basically Red Hat without the Red Hat. It is now abandoned. I currently use Ubuntu 20.04, just released as a dual boot with Win 10 on my PC. I also have a Raspi 2 running Raspbian setup as a gateway server. I had an old clunker PC running Ubuntu Server 18.04/samba as a NAS but I rarely needed it is so I set it aside for projects. 8)

Also yes I do remember Runesacpe when I was younger, it was a huge thing! :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

I'd always wanted a Mac, and then decided to boycott the company before my Apple "Care" had run out. Then the hardware started failing. When it finally died, I spent months trying to deal with Win 7, and finally had to wait for a repair disk in the mail. While waiting, I decided to try Linux, and despite a bad false start, had everything I wanted running before the mail came through. Now it is time for an update from Mint 17, but I've forgotten all the jargon.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 10:09 am

I started out with Ubuntu, then switched to Debian. Now my favorites are Hyperbola/Parabola, but I think the former is switching to being BSD-based. I'm currently using Arch because I was unable to migrate it to Parabola.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 10:27 am

There are Chromebooks that allow you to enable Linux(beta).