25 Sep 2023, 1:53 pm

Readydaer wrote:
yes, I can always talk to it about my niche special interests

Now that is a good use for it!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 5:00 pm

Here's an interesting thing - apparently ChatGPT and other LLM's fail regularly, after being given A = B information, to deduce B = A. The presenter shares a paper on this early in the video.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 3:18 am

So the LLMs are more human than we thought if they can't deduce that :lol: :lol:

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 2:27 pm

Q: How can chatgpt help people with autism?

ChatGPT: ChatGPT can potentially help people with autism in several ways:

1. Social Interaction Practice: ChatGPT can provide a safe and low-pressure environment for individuals with autism to practice social interactions and conversation skills. It can assist them in understanding and using appropriate social cues and responses.

2. Communication Aid: For individuals with limited verbal communication skills, ChatGPT can serve as a tool for augmentative and alternative communication (AAC). They can use the app to type out their thoughts and have the AI convert them into spoken words.

3. Information and Support: ChatGPT can answer questions and provide information on a wide range of topics, helping individuals with autism access knowledge and resources that may assist in their daily lives.

4. Emotional Support: ChatGPT can offer a degree of emotional support by engaging in empathetic conversations and providing a non-judgmental presence. It can help alleviate feelings of loneliness or anxiety.

5. Routine and Schedule Assistance: ChatGPT can assist in creating and maintaining daily routines, helping individuals with autism manage their time and tasks effectively.

It's important to note that ChatGPT is not a replacement for professional therapy or support, but it can complement existing therapies and provide a valuable resource for individuals with autism and their caregivers.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 2:42 pm

Q: If someone has never used chatgpt before how exactly can he or she get started?

ChatGPT: To get started with ChatGPT, someone who has never used it before can follow these steps:

1. Download the App: If they are using the ChatGPT iOS app, they should download it from the Apple App Store. If they are using a different platform, they should access it through the appropriate channels.

2. Install and Open: After downloading, they should install the app and open it.

3. Create an Account: If the app requires it, they should create an account with a valid email address and set a secure password.

4. Introduction and Tutorial: The app will likely provide an introduction and tutorial to help the user understand how to interact with ChatGPT effectively.

5. Start Chatting: Once they are in the app, they can start chatting with ChatGPT by typing their questions or statements in the chat interface.

6. Ask Questions or Make Statements: They can ask questions, seek information, request assistance, or simply engage in conversation with the AI.

7. Explore Features: Depending on the app's version, they can explore different features, such as language translation, summarization, and more.

8. Customize and Personalize: Some apps may allow users to personalize their AI interaction or set preferences. They can explore these options to tailor the experience to their liking.

9. Practice and Learn: ChatGPT can be used for a wide range of purposes, including learning new information, practicing language skills, getting advice, or simply having a conversation. Users can experiment and learn how to make the most of the app.

10. Provide Feedback: If the app allows, users can provide feedback on the AI's responses to help improve the service over time.

It's important for users to keep in mind that ChatGPT is a tool, and while it can provide valuable information and assistance, it should not be used as a substitute for professional advice or services when needed.

Q: Cool, what about using google chrome browser instead of the ios app?

ChatGPT: You can use ChatGPT through the Google Chrome browser by visiting the OpenAI website or a platform that offers the ChatGPT service. Here are the steps to use ChatGPT in your Google Chrome browser:

1. Open Google Chrome: Launch the Google Chrome web browser on your computer or mobile device.

2. Visit OpenAI or a Supported Platform: Go to the OpenAI website (https://www.openai.com) or another platform that offers access to ChatGPT. If OpenAI provides a web-based version, you should find it on their website.

3. Access ChatGPT: Navigate to the section or page that provides access to ChatGPT. On the OpenAI website, this could be a specific ChatGPT section or page.

4. Log In or Create an Account: Depending on the platform, you might need to log in with an existing account or create a new one.

5. Start Chatting: Once you're logged in, you can start chatting with ChatGPT by typing your questions or statements in the provided chat interface.

6. Interact with ChatGPT: You can ask questions, engage in conversations, seek information, or use ChatGPT for various purposes.

7. Explore Features: Depending on the platform, you may have access to additional features like language translation, summarization, or customization options.

8. Provide Feedback: If the platform allows, you can provide feedback to help improve the quality of the responses and user experience.

Using ChatGPT in a web browser provides flexibility and accessibility on a wide range of devices, but keep in mind that the experience may vary depending on the platform you choose. Also, be aware that OpenAI's offerings and supported platforms may change over time, so it's a good idea to check their official website for the most up-to-date information.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 5:07 pm

Certainly it's been helpful to me. I haven't bothered downloading apps, I just go here:

https://chat.openai.com/

All I've done is to ask it questions and read the answers. That's enough for me so far. I'm quite impressed. The Web itself has revolutionised learning by making access to information so much quicker than paper libraries etc., and ChatGPT pushes the boat out way further - all I have to do is type my question and it answers it in seconds. An inquiring mind such as mine which wishes to learn takes this kind of path:

1. Ask question, get answer
2. Think about answer, refine question or formulate new question
3. Repeat from step 1 until curiosity is satisfied

So the time saving is multiplied by the number of cycles, and the benefit can thus become huge. In a way it's my ideal way of learning. It's confined to the questions I choose to ask, so the process isn't cluttered up with reams of stuff in which I have no interest. Absorbing random facts and ideas by general reading etc. of course has value in itself, but ChatGPT doesn't stop me doing that elsewhere.

Naturally it's useless if the quality of the answers is poor. They're not perfect, but they're clearly expressed and so far I've not noticed many bloopers. I don't see bias and inaccuracy as much of a danger because I rarely believe what I'm told without checking it out.

One possible fault is that if it can't find something for me, it tends to present the nearest thing it can find to it without saying it's done that - e.g. for "Is there a part in Brave New World in which Mond explains that individuals who are open-minded and interested in many different ideologies are seen as more of a threat to the system than those who are only part of one ideology?" it says yes but quotes part of the book that doesn't really say that, it's just kind of related to it.

I haven't tried getting help for ASD from it, because I'm not quite sure what I want to know in that respect, but it would be interesting to see how usefully it would respond to specific questions, if I can think of any. It may involve telling it a lot about myself, so there's a potential privacy issue, but I haven't created an account with them, so as long as I'm careful what I say, I would think it relatively safe.

I'm rather in the dark about whether creating an account is necessary or not for getting much help for ASD. If I just want information about ASD, I suppose it could do that. The web-based, account-free version tells me I can practise social interaction with it, so I guess that would just be a matter of me typing "I'd like to practise social interaction with you. Shall I begin?" I don't fancy trying to get emotional support from it, and don't see how that could work online, especially when you know it's a machine. How would it help a person to create and maintain routines? Does it make scheduled alarms go off or something? It's just warned me that it's not qualified for helping with significant emotional distress or mental health concerns (I'm not surprised!), but it claims to be "a helpful resource for providing tips, strategies, and insights to support your journey toward personal growth and well-being." That sounds a bit more up my street.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 10:07 pm

It is crazy spooky smart and crazy spooky dumb too.

It helps me to stay on track with remote work. It also helps me to get off track easily.

It is amazing how it can get right answers with just a little information. It is also amazing how it can be wrong and stubborn about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 12:52 am

FYI: "ChatGPT" means "Cat, I Fart" when translated phonetically as a French phrase ("Chat, j'ai pété").

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 12:48 pm

^ unfortunate to be sure.

ChatGPT and I came up with a new branding for French audiences:

Ladies and gentlemen, mesdames et messieurs, presenting to you, the one and only RaconteurGPTique!

cue dramatic flair and jazz hands

RaconteurGPTique:

Clears throat dramatically

Ah, bonjour, bonjour! Allow me to enchant you with the wondrous tale of RaconteurGPTique, a marvel of modern innovation and timeless elegance! Picture this: a convergence of the finest storytelling traditions, brought to life through the magic of advanced technology. Mais oui, my friends, c'est magnifique!

With RaconteurGPTique by your side, storytelling takes on a whole new dimension. Imagine conversing effortlessly, weaving narratives with the grace of a maestro, all powered by the brilliance of Generative Pretrained Transformer technology. Voilà! Your words, imbued with style, substance, and that unmistakable je ne sais quoi.

Mes amis, whether you seek to captivate audiences, inspire minds, or simply revel in the joy of conversation, RaconteurGPTique is your trusted companion. Embrace the art of storytelling, embrace the future of communication—RaconteurGPTique, where every word is a masterpiece!

Merci beaucoup, thank you very much!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 1:07 pm

Me:
If ChatGPT is sometimes wrong about facts, what are some ways to verify and fact check what ChatGPT tells me?

ChatGPT:
1. Consult Reliable Sources: Cross-check the information provided by ChatGPT with reputable and trustworthy sources such as established news outlets, academic journals, official websites, or expert opinions.

2. Use Fact-Checking Websites: Utilize fact-checking websites like Snopes, FactCheck.org, or PolitiFact to verify specific claims, rumors, or news stories.

3. Verify Dates and Events: For historical or current events, verify dates, timelines, and key details using historical records, news archives, or official reports.

4. Check Multiple Sources: Don't rely on a single source for information. Consult multiple sources to corroborate facts and ensure accuracy.

5. Verify Statistical Data: If ChatGPT provides statistical data, verify it with official statistics from government agencies, reputable research organizations, or academic studies.

6. Question Uncertain Information: If ChatGPT provides information that seems uncertain or lacks sources, approach it with skepticism and seek additional verification.

7. Consider Bias and Context: Be aware of potential biases in information and consider the context in which it is presented. Look for balanced perspectives and diverse sources.

8. Consult Experts: Reach out to subject matter experts or professionals in relevant fields to validate complex information or technical details.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 3:10 pm

^
That's kind of refreshing in a world where so many people try to insinuate to others that they know best. It's a very intelligent and knowledgeable "being" but it doesn't try to set itself up as an authority, presumably because it has no ego. Rather, it urges the user to check out its statements against external sources.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 10:14 pm

One quirk I've noticed with it is that it never admits it doesn't know the answer to a question. It'll always have a go at answering, and when it's wrong and I tell it what's wrong, it usually just says "sorry for the confusion" and tries again, but comes out with much the same answer.

It answers sometimes seem to imply that it's convinced that human rights, personal freedom, and critical thinking are very important. So it's perhaps a tad woke, but no more so than I am, so I don't mind that.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 3:20 pm

^

Me:
Kate Mulgrew was Mrs Columbo.

ChatGPT:
Actually, Kate Mulgrew was not Mrs. Columbo. The character Mrs. Columbo, also known as Kate Columbo, was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew's fellow actress, Kate Mulgrew. However, the character Mrs. Columbo, also known as Kate Columbo, was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew's fellow actress, Kate Mulgrew.Kate Mulgrew is best known for her role as Captain Kathryn Janeway in "Star Trek: Voyager." The character Mrs. Columbo, on the other hand, was a character created for the TV series "Kate Loves a Mystery." Initially, Mrs. Columbo was intended to be the wife of the famous detective Lieutenant Columbo, portrayed by Peter Falk in the "Columbo" series. However, due to various reasons, including the absence of Peter Falk's involvement in the spin-off and differences in character portrayal, "Kate Columbo" was later renamed "Kate Callahan."So, to clarify, Kate Mulgrew did not play Mrs. Columbo or Kate Columbo. She is best known for her roles in "Star Trek: Voyager," "Orange Is the New Black," and other television shows and films.

Me:
you said "Actually, Kate Mulgrew was not Mrs. Columbo. The character Mrs. Columbo, also known as Kate Columbo, was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew's fellow actress, Kate Mulgrew. However, the character Mrs. Columbo, also known as Kate Columbo, was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew's fellow actress, Kate Mulgrew." was this what you meant to say?

ChatGPT:
I apologize for the confusion caused by my response. The sentence you quoted contains a mistake and is not what I intended to convey. It seems there was a misunderstanding or error in the wording of my response. Let me clarify:Kate Mulgrew did not portray the character Mrs. Columbo or Kate Columbo in the TV series "Kate Loves a Mystery." The character Mrs. Columbo, also known as Kate Columbo, was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew's fellow actress, Kate Mulgrew. This sentence is incorrect and contradictory.To sum up, Kate Mulgrew did not play Mrs. Columbo or Kate Columbo in any TV series. She is best known for her role as Captain Kathryn Janeway in "Star Trek: Voyager" and has had a successful career in television and film beyond that role.

Me:
who played "Mrs. Columbo"?

ChatGPT:
The character "Mrs. Columbo," also known as "Kate Columbo" or "Kate Callahan," was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew. The series originally titled "Kate Loves a Mystery" featured her character, who was initially intended to be the wife of the famous detective Lieutenant Columbo, played by Peter Falk in the "Columbo" series. However, due to various reasons, including the absence of Peter Falk's involvement in the spin-off and differences in character portrayal, "Kate Columbo" was later renamed "Kate Callahan" in an attempt to distance the character from the "Columbo" series. Kate Mulgrew starred as Kate Columbo/Kate Callahan in the show, which ran for one season from 1979 to 1980.

Me:
You said 'The character "Mrs. Columbo," also known as "Kate Columbo" or "Kate Callahan," was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew' and you said 'To sum up, Kate Mulgrew did not play Mrs. Columbo or Kate Columbo in any TV series. She is best known for her role as Captain Kathryn Janeway in "Star Trek: Voyager" and has had a successful career in television and film beyond that role.'

ChatGPT:
I apologize for the confusion in my previous responses. Let me correct that.The character "Mrs. Columbo," also known as "Kate Columbo" or "Kate Callahan," was portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew. The series initially titled "Kate Loves a Mystery" featured her character, who was originally intended to be the wife of the famous detective Lieutenant Columbo, played by Peter Falk in the "Columbo" series. However, due to various reasons, including the absence of Peter Falk's involvement in the spin-off and differences in character portrayal, "Kate Columbo" was later renamed "Kate Callahan" in an attempt to distance the character from the "Columbo" series. Kate Mulgrew starred as Kate Columbo/Kate Callahan in the show, which ran for one season from 1979 to 1980.I appreciate your patience and apologize for any confusion caused by my previous responses.

Editor’s Comment:
Well, ChatGPT, you do so well sometimes! You can’t win them all.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 4:09 pm

Me:
What are the most common types of errors made by ChatGPT? What types of criticisms are most often made?

ChatGPT:
The most common types of errors made by ChatGPT are related to:

1. Factual Accuracy: While ChatGPT is generally knowledgeable and factually accurate, it can occasionally provide outdated or incorrect information, especially in rapidly changing fields or with nuanced topics.

2. Contextual Understanding: ChatGPT may sometimes struggle with understanding complex contexts, leading to responses that lack depth or fail to address the nuances of a question.

3. Consistency: Due to the nature of its training data, ChatGPT may provide inconsistent responses or contradictory information in different interactions.

4. Ambiguity: ChatGPT may generate responses that are ambiguous or unclear, requiring additional clarification from the user.

5. Sensitive Topics: ChatGPT may not always handle sensitive topics or language appropriately, leading to potentially insensitive or inappropriate responses.

As for criticisms, the most common ones are related to:

1. Lack of Human Judgment: ChatGPT lacks human judgment and may provide responses that are technically correct but lack the nuanced understanding or empathy that humans can provide.

2. Ethical Concerns: Some criticisms revolve around ethical concerns regarding the use of AI, including issues related to bias, privacy, and potential misuse of technology.

3. Limitations in Understanding: Users may criticize ChatGPT for its limitations in understanding complex or abstract concepts, leading to responses that are superficial or off-topic.

4. Inconsistency: As mentioned earlier, inconsistency in responses or contradictory information can lead to criticism from users who expect reliability and coherence.

5. Lack of Creativity: ChatGPT may sometimes provide predictable or unoriginal responses, lacking the creativity and spontaneity that humans can bring to conversations.

It's important to note that while ChatGPT has limitations and areas for improvement, it also has many strengths and can be a valuable tool for various tasks. Ongoing advancements in AI technology aim to address these criticisms and enhance the capabilities of AI models like ChatGPT.

Me:
What are ChatGPT’s greatest strengths. What are the types of positive comments people make.

ChatGPT:
ChatGPT has several strengths that contribute to its effectiveness and usefulness:

1. Wide Range of Knowledge: ChatGPT has access to a vast amount of information from its training data, allowing it to provide answers and insights on a wide range of topics, from general knowledge to specialized domains.

2. Language Understanding: ChatGPT excels in understanding and generating human-like text, making it capable of engaging in natural language conversations and understanding context to some extent.

3. Availability and Accessibility: ChatGPT is available 24/7 and can be accessed from various platforms, providing instant responses and assistance to users around the clock.Adaptability: ChatGPT can adapt to different conversational styles and user inputs, making it versatile in handling diverse interactions and queries.

4. Learning and Improvement: ChatGPT continuously learns from user interactions and feedback, allowing it to improve over time and provide more accurate and relevant responses.

Positive comments and feedback about ChatGPT often include:

1. Knowledgeable Responses: Users appreciate ChatGPT's ability to provide accurate and informative responses on a wide range of topics, showcasing its extensive knowledge base.

2. Helpfulness: ChatGPT is often praised for being a helpful tool in answering questions, providing explanations, and offering guidance on various subjects.

3. Engaging Conversations: Users enjoy engaging in conversations with ChatGPT due to its natural language processing capabilities, which make interactions feel more human-like and engaging.

4. Availability: ChatGPT's availability 24/7 is often mentioned positively, as users can access information and assistance at any time without waiting for human support.

5.Continuous Improvement: Users appreciate ChatGPT's ability to learn and improve over time, leading to more accurate and relevant responses in subsequent interactions.

Overall, ChatGPT's strengths lie in its vast knowledge base, language understanding capabilities, adaptability, availability, and continuous learning and improvement, all of which contribute to positive user experiences and feedback.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 9:51 pm

Columbo - it figures - most of the mistakes it's made for me have been with questions about entertainment. Listing album tracks, identifying records and musicians, finding the episode number of a TV show from the plot, telling me which particular single stopped another particular single from reaching no.1 in the charts. When I tell it what its mistake is, it just apologises and does the same thing again. I get the feeling that if it doesn't know the answer, it tries to pass off a reckless guess as a known fact. I've known humans do that. It's usually better to rephrase the question or ask it a different one than it is to point out its mistakes.

But it's usually performed very well with general knowledge questions.