Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

klausnrooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2013, 6:24 pm

Various 'buntus, especially Xubuntu. CentOS via Stella. Also Slitaz, Damn Small Linux, and Puppy! Had a PC-BSD box but got tired of package manager crashing it. But will definitely get a FreeBSD non gui box going at some point.

zashieyo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2013, 11:00 pm

Spooky - Windows 7 Ultimate

Sol - Windows 7 Home premium + Linux Mint

My new tablet yet to be named - Windows 7 Professional.

Spooky and the tablet will have their own Installations of Linux mint soon.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've also used various distros of Linux, two of my favorites being Crunchbang and Linux Mint. Linux is a great OS for day-to-day tasks like writing documents and surfing the web, but the one thing that keeps me from switching to it full time is the fact that it's absolutely terrible for gaming. If you're lucky enough to have a supported graphics card, you can get certain games running through Wine or the native port of Steam, but it's not really worth it since Windows still delivers better gaming performance, and much much better compatibility.

I was about to say, SteamOS is now out, so Linux is now a bit more gamer-freindly, or at least Steam games at any rate.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

Got my laptop working again and installed Arch Linux on it and I'm trying out i3 in place of KDE which I used previously.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 10:30 pm

Just got a new netbook recently that runs Windows 8.1.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:48 am

I'm currently using Windows 7 at the moment. I recently installed the 64 bit version of Windows XP on my secondary desktop PC, which I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as Microsoft ceases support for XP. I wanted to experience XP again before it dies; many a fond memory was formed using XP, so it has a bit of a nostalgic effect on me. :)

I am also an avid GNU/Linux and FreeBSD user, and I tend to switch off between GNU/Linux distributions and FreeBSD. My favorite GNU/Linux distributions are Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and Sabayon. My current GNU/Linux distribution, which is located on my secondary 128 GB SSD hard drive, is the GNOME edition of Ubuntu 13.10.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:08 pm

Still using the current version of #! Linux, but upgraded to the 3.12 Liquorix Kernel yesterday.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2014, 3:41 am

windows 7 ultimate currently however the laptop im getting from DSA has windows 8 ;(

j4jackj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2014, 4:44 am

I use Debian Sid on all my home systems, and Debian 7 on all my servers.

H8n Windows like there's no tomorrow
No tomorrow
No tomorrow
Why must Microsoft be so tyrannic?
So tyrannic
So tyrannic

Can you guess which song I'm referring to?

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 7:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Windows Vista

Nobody asked but I still use a SONY Trinitron STD TV

Not a luddite just this combination of economy and aspie job hunting skills. :cry:

Machines are still humming along. :wink:

Raises hand :oops: have Win 8 and want to throw it out the window on a daily basis, I liked DOS 3 and am thinking of joining a commune where I would have no access to the internet at all.

something seems electronically wrong with me and anything remotely related to touchscreen messes up with me.

other_worlds
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2014, 11:42 pm

Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, plus a Linux partition. I have not paid for an OS since the first release of XP Home back when I was in high school, companies want to charge so much for an OS and I figure they make plenty of sales regardless. I do not steal or pirate, mind you, I always seem to know someone who has legitimate manufacturer copies and spare keys. And then with Linux it is obviously free.

I have no need for anything but Windows and Linux and I mostly use Windows because I play PC games a lot. The beauty of PC gaming is the Windows legacy, I can play games from the early 90s with a little bit of elbow grease sometimes, this is something I love over game consoles, console games get lost to time as they age, but you can always seem to find old school PC games quite easily. In fact, I think I should play the original Fallout sometime this month.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 2:22 am

Fogman wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've also used various distros of Linux, two of my favorites being Crunchbang and Linux Mint. Linux is a great OS for day-to-day tasks like writing documents and surfing the web, but the one thing that keeps me from switching to it full time is the fact that it's absolutely terrible for gaming. If you're lucky enough to have a supported graphics card, you can get certain games running through Wine or the native port of Steam, but it's not really worth it since Windows still delivers better gaming performance, and much much better compatibility.

I was about to say, SteamOS is now out, so Linux is now a bit more gamer-freindly, or at least Steam games at any rate.

SteamOS != other Linux distros. It's built specifically for running Steam games on a rather narrow set of hardware specifications, and unlike most Linux distros, I do not actually have any hardware that would support SteamOS.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

Windows 8. It was an issue at first because I wanted to have my new computer formatted like my old one, which was optimized for operating my compact CNC lathe, but that was a desktop and apparently laptops have power-saving attributes that make them lousy for this purpose. Now I don't care so much. I can type and research. That's all I need.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 2:47 pm

Windows 7

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm

<---< currently using my Win7 Pro drive, but it's got XP and Salient Linux on VM's

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

Ubuntu 13.10.