Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Floyd
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2009, 6:41 pm

MSX Basic was my first language

BTW: C code can be compiled by a C++ compiler unless you use language constructs you shouldn`t be using anywayz like "goto" or implicit type casts... If a C++ compiler can`t compile your C program then it's a bad C program anyway that doesn`t deserve to be compiled...

StillStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2009, 3:46 am

Started with BASIC on my Sinclair Spectrum back in the 80s! Loved it then, but wouldn't go near the language these days.

Now I use Java, C and more recently Ruby. I've fallen out of love with Java - just find it too cumbersome, and bloated these days. I think the simplicity and sheer creativeness of what you can achieve in C - just seems so much for fun for me. I've been playing with Ruby also, and what I've seen, I like a lot. Ruby/Python seem to be where all the cool stuff happens with web-applications these days - Java just seems stuck in the heavyweight end of the market.

idle
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2009, 12:26 am

started with basic on ohio scientific superboard circa 1976 or 1977
these days mostly use purebasic with c and asm. I don't care much for OO languages.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2009, 5:28 am

basic - dos - RPGII - c - c++ - java - html - xml - php - sql - mysql - javascript - css - vb - asp - ummm - i know theres more than that too....

php/mysql is my fav though - and the one i get paid for :P

easiest way to learn is to dive right in and have a go - find some sample scripts or online tutorials and figure what they do - read the manuals last :lol:

c++ is not used for many commercial applications these days though - start at html and css and move on to php and javascript - web applications is where its at :roll:

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2009, 4:39 pm

FePixie wrote:
basic - dos - RPGII - c - c++ - java - html - xml - php - sql - mysql - javascript - css - vb - asp - ummm - i know theres more than that too....

easiest way to learn is to dive right in and have a go - find some sample scripts or online tutorials and figure what they do - read the manuals last :lol:

c++ is not used for many commercial applications these days though - start at html and css and move on to php and javascript - web applications is where its at :roll:

and behind these scripting languages are interpreters or virtual machines that are written in machine code, often in C++ although many are written in C.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 5:27 pm

EarlPurple wrote:
FePixie wrote:

and behind these scripting languages are interpreters or virtual machines that are written in machine code, often in C++ although many are written in C.

Strange comment. Although I have written in machine code, I do so rarely. It's just too tedious. I believe you meant assembler.

As to whether any one of the things mentioned have any hint of C++ code, I would doubt.

In all probability, most are written in C...

BASIC: various assemblers, or C.
DOS: Which one? It probably doesn't matter, as they will mostly be in assembler.
RPGII: S/360 assembler?
C: C.
C++: C.
Java: C.
and so on.

Some will be written in flex + bison, say, but these convert the code to C.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2009, 7:27 pm

01100101 00110101 0111010 1101011 1010000

giggle - machine code - riiiight

pfft - you gonna plant the trees and wait 20 years for them to grow then build a sawmill.... - or you gonna get a load of wood delivered and build ya house tomorrow?

php makes ready cut C code?????

idle
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2009, 5:51 pm

[off topic]

the first programs I ever got ~1976 took weeks to load as they were just listings of machine code in the back of a magazine.
entering them would be an arduous chore for any 8 year old I expect, though eventually it'd get done.
Once with a bit of progressive thinking as I wanted to escape to freedom, I tried to cut and paste but it didn't really have the desired effect, if only I knew then, what I knew now, I could have defended my actions!

But father, you wanted to see 500 lines on the monitor, there they are!
Yes Son but you where supposed to type them in, not cut the page out and stick it on the monitor!

[on topic]

There are still a lot of demand for C++ developers and it's not going to go away in a hurry. Objective C could be the one to watch though.

[off topic]

C:\DOS, C:\DOS\RUN, RUN\DOS\RUN.