Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 9:15 pm

Why has almost every socket I've ever seen looked like it realized it was going to die in three seconds? Like it lost all hope after losing something dear? Or perhaps they're staring in horror at the beast who lives within? "What a monster," those coupled sockets seem to whisper, their mouths agape.

Pardon me, but why is this? Excuse my language, but what kind of i**** would make every socket look that way? Do they just want us to be saaaaaad?

I'd love to find the answer.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Witch
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2009, 10:40 pm

You're humanizing an inanimate object. Lot's of people do that. It's like they see some sort of familiarity with objects, like light switches ot brick patterns.

I seem to remember someone selling the cover plates that were painted so to emphasize the "socket faces" as faces. They were painted with bodies or something like that.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm

Pardon the pun but I always considered it to be more of a shocked look.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 11:05 pm

Witch wrote:
You're humanizing an inanimate object. Lot's of people do that. It's like they see some sort of familiarity with objects, like light switches ot brick patterns.

The publicitys of Hydro-Québec push this concept to his logical extreme.

Hydro-Québec publicity

The sockets look happy though :lol:

Last edited by Tollorin on 14 Jul 2009, 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

hector451
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2009, 11:43 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
Why has almost every socket I've ever seen looked like it realized it was going to die in three seconds? Like it lost all hope after losing something dear? Or perhaps they're staring in horror at the beast who lives within? "What a monster," those coupled sockets seem to whisper, their mouths agape.

Pardon me, but why is this? Excuse my language, but what kind of i**** would make every socket look that way? Do they just want us to be saaaaaad?

I'd love to find the answer.

So the rugrats don't get attracted to a 'smily face' and stick their pinky winky in its eye?

if it bums you out, you can get a felt pen and go crazy smiles on the socket face.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:29 am

Socket to ya topic

Sock (shock) puppetry. Ed?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:33 am

If someone were about to shove metal prongs into your eyes and mouth, would you be happy?

;)

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 4:46 pm

Hector: Good point, I suppose. But I do not believe that one advantage will win the argument for sad outlets. I have a few suggestions (see below).

I was thinking something along the lines of Deacon's explanation.

Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to wonder if the 'double-sad-face look' contributes along with other cultural memes to trigger aggressive thoughts and feelings by auto-suggestion. For example, when I've seen boyfriends and girlfriends together, I've often felt pain instead of being happy for them -- why is that? Could it be that I was subconsciously remembering plug outlets (along with a host of other memetic devices) and feeling that they were already scared of me before my aggressive feelings were even triggered? You have to wonder.

Why don't we do an upside-down plug look where the middle hole is on top and doesn't look like a smile or a frown?

Or put the middle hole in between the two prong slits?

Or put the hole on the left or right side of the outlet?

Anything but two frowny faces! What were they thinking?

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 6:59 pm

do you know how many different kinds of sockets there are out there? I used to have to support laptops for a worldwide company, and we used to hand out bags of adapters...;) We had a few for Europe, Asia was different, and naturally the Israelis and Palestinians had different (and naturally incompatible) sockets...;)

I bet there's some happy ones out there...Google 'em sometime...

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 7:31 pm

Oh, you know what I bet they have?

Colic.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 12:23 am

If they put them upside down, undoubtably someone named MikeH107 would be posting "Why are sockets upside down faces?"

In other words MikeH106, I think you are reading too much into it. They have to look like something, and humans will always anthropomorphise things.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 3:02 pm

Too much into it? I hate the way they look!

I bet it's just another Machiavellian scheme to oppress the lower classes and torture ugly people.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 11:10 am

I always thought they had a SHOCKED look to them...

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 11:29 am

denmark has happy sockets! :D

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 11:52 am

told ya'...;)

rathernotsay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2009, 5:25 pm

Some may be sad because they may hurt you because they are in the wall wrong side up. That is...if the metal wall plate is loose and drops down on the plug prongs it can be electrified. If the socket is turned around it will only contact the ground. 8O :nerdy: