Study's findings on recognizing facial expression

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 8:49 am

I found this interesting.
I wonder what they would find if they would test Autistics; if they would find differences and where.
ScienceDaily - A facial expression is worth a thousand words

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 11:10 am

Scientist wrote:
I wonder what they would find if they would test Autistics; if they would find differences and where.

Reading faces is a subtle skill. Kids can do it at age two (normal kids), people like me take decades to learn how to do it. Programming computers to do it reliably is very difficult.

ruveyn

criss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 12:19 pm

Does anyone think that aspies who are more artistic and right brained orientated may be more able to understand facial expressions?

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 12:41 pm

expressions on people's faces often force me to suppress laughter.

i see "expressions" as a comical furrowing of faces in many situations.

an older lady at work has many facial convulsions, and the lines that appear and disappear on her face during her expressions make me laugh because i know she would not like to know how she looks when she is pulling faces like she does.

she wears much makeup and it gets all folded in to her temporary furrows, and then her skin is marked with errant makeup after she relaxes her face.

i can not resist laughing and that makes her even angrier and i go to pieces in hilarity until someone else diffuses the situation.

she is not good at handling me and it does not matter that much to the owner.

i am not thinking that well tonight so i am sorry if i am not relevant

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:48 am

criss wrote:
Does anyone think that aspies who are more artistic and right brained orientated may be more able to understand facial expressions?

Dunno, but if it adds any weight to your theory, I am not very artistic. As a chef I loved to cook the food, but hand plating up was a serious challenge that I tried my best to avoid. And I fail miserably at facial recognition.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Treehugger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2010, 8:49 pm

Scientist wrote:
At this Time, I have No Clue, took a 'Survey' for 'Research',another Person was doing for Her Collage, and in the second part, was a series of Partial Faces where Only the Eyes, and Eyebrows were shown. Ihad never seen any thing like this in a survey on life questions before. This was New,different, and for Me difficult, as I Could Not See the Whole Face, or still better, Hear and See a Video of each Person in each, and most either looked 'bored' relaxed,or just tired to me, Ihavent gotten feed back on this yet,so I do not know.