9 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
10 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
9001+ 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 44

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2010, 8:50 am

I am currently using Vista on my brand new computer. I was able to use the licencse from my last computer because I installed 7 and sold it to my father. All I want to know is, what features does windows 7 have over vista.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 9:28 am

I give it a 10 it does what it says on the tin!
I would certainly use it if I had a PC with up to date hardware.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 9:29 am

It's the same level of 'pretty' with half the bugs. In a comparison between just those two, 7 wins hands down.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 10:17 am

I gave 7 a 7.

Frankly, I don't think any OS will deserve a 10.

Win7's virtues is that if you want a 64-bit OS for the new generation of systems you can build, it's a major improvement on that beta test release they called Vista.

I still like XP more in many respects, but it is showing its age.

However, Win7 isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, so I think 7 is an above-average score that fits what it's lived up to (so far) in my experience.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 1:57 pm

I love 7. I had no problems with XP but 7 added a lot of new things I find useful. Never tried Vista, I've never even seen it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 5:56 pm

There is absolutely no excuse to continue running Vista. If you're an old stick in the mud who won't get with the times or your PC is slow, then sticking with XP is ok. But Vista has no redeeming qualities, especially now that Windows 7 is out. Windows 7 has all the fancy Aero (and more) with a lot less slowness and general fail.

Elfnote
Raven
Raven

09 May 2010, 11:47 pm

If your going to use Windows, dont use Vista. As Orwell said, either stick with XP or move to 7. Vista is slower and buggier than both. If you have 3 year old or older hardware move down to XP. Otherwise move up to 7. Its not a huge change, but the large amount of little things add up and make 7 infinity better than Vista.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:05 am

I can't make it automatically resize the resolution on my account to 1280x1024, and revert to 1024x768 for the people with bad eyes who also use the comp, so it sucks hard.

I know the computer used to do that, but I can't figure out how to make this one do it, until that is figured out, it is an unqualified failure for me.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:47 pm

Vista is like Windows ME - it should be forgotten quickly! :D

As for Win 7, i am looking forward to trying it out, but only on new 64 bit hardware and a crapload of memory (at least 8 GB). There are plenty of other features on Win 7, but for me it's mainly the support for more memory than 3.9 GB.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:14 am

Windows 7 is worth every byte downloaded ;)

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2010, 8:29 am

I would recommend Linux/GNU.
Best OS. My personal favorite distro is Debian or Xubuntu.
Vista is not really that good.
It's going to be forgotten and left behind like Windows ME.

Would recommend selling your computer and getting a new one or upgrading it to Windows 7 or converting to Linux.

The best OS from Microsoft is probably XP 64 Bit with custom add-ons. Such as Google Desktop and Custom Taskbars.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:08 pm

danieltaiwan wrote:

Linux is fine unless you are still a gamer at heart.

If it wasnt for the complete crap support for gaming, i'd install Linux in a second and use my Windows CD/DVD's as coasters.

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2010, 2:21 pm

I like the improved backwards compatibility in Win 7. Gave it a 7, Vista 4, XP 7, Windows 256 a 10 (can't get any more stable than only a file manager :D)

I prefer Linux, because of it's stability, and sh**load of open source software, gaming is also possible if you virtualise Windows via Wine.

You can update your kernel nowadays without a restart, how great is that!! !

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2010, 2:26 pm

justMax wrote:
I can't make it automatically resize the resolution on my account to 1280x1024, and revert to 1024x768 for the people with bad eyes who also use the comp, so it sucks hard.

I know the computer used to do that, but I can't figure out how to make this one do it, until that is figured out, it is an unqualified failure for me.

Windows uses one resolution for all user accounts, the only way to use custom resolutions per user is by drivers from your graphic card or third party software.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:14 am

Orwell wrote:
There is absolutely no excuse to continue running Vista. If you're an old stick in the mud who won't get with the times or your PC is slow, then sticking with XP is ok. But Vista has no redeeming qualities, especially now that Windows 7 is out. Windows 7 has all the fancy Aero (and more) with a lot less slowness and general fail.

i am a stick in the mud who continues to run w98se due to the fact that my puter is way too old to be upgraded and i am too poor to get a new puter, and also my software would cost a fortune to upgrade to 64 bit so it would run on w7.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2010, 6:34 am

danieltaiwan wrote:
Best OS. My personal favorite distro is Debian or Xubuntu.
Vista is not really that good.
It's going to be forgotten and left behind like Windows ME.

Would recommend selling your computer and getting a new one or upgrading it to Windows 7 or converting to Linux.

The best OS from Microsoft is probably XP 64 Bit with custom add-ons. Such as Google Desktop and Custom Taskbars.

Right, and directx 11, and native windows program support, right? Also why buy another new computer when my 1st post explicitly mentions that it is a brand new computer?