Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 1:53 am

Here's how they solved the mind-switch dilemma* in last night's episode.

[img][800:532]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/8/2010/08/b82fe4e01a051fa965568015dbff3600/original.png[/img]

Professor built a time machine that could switch minds but the minds couldn't be swapped back directly and could only be swapped via a third party body that hadn't been directly swapped already with the previous body (assuming I understood it correctly).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 5:32 am

skafather84 wrote:

[img][800:532]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/8/2010/08/b82fe4e01a051fa965568015dbff3600/original.png[/img]

Professor built a time machine that could switch minds but the minds couldn't be swapped back directly and could only be swapped via a third party body that hadn't been directly swapped already with the previous body (assuming I understood it correctly).

I don't see what a trivial exercise in the theory of permutations has to do with switching minds. It is not clear to me that minds exists and brains cannot be exchanged between two different people, we simply do not have the technology to do it.

ruveyn

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I don't see what a trivial exercise in the theory of permutations has to do with switching minds. It is not clear to me that minds exists and brains cannot be exchanged between two different people, we simply do not have the technology to do it.

ruveyn

I don't think that those matrices have any real connection with switching minds. Remember that skafather was talking about Futurama, which is just a funny science fiction cartoon. That episode only showed maths to make it look impressive.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
It is not clear to me that minds exists and brains cannot be exchanged between two different people, we simply do not have the technology to do it.

ruveyn

It's a TV show and that was the conundrum they drew up for the show. Sci-fi show. It's not about fact other than a fun little use of math to solve an in-show problem. Way to suck the fun out of life. :(

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 4:22 pm

That was a funny episode (there all funny). The problem started when Amye and the Professor switched mind's (not brains), then the Professor figured out that they couldn't switch back (not directly any way), but just as he figures that out he also figures out that they could switch back by switching minds with a third party, but then that third party would be in the wrong body, the rest of the episode consists of the other characters in the show (including a mop bucket) switching body's for varies reasons while the Professor (with the help of the Harlem globetrotters) try's to figure out how many people would need too switch bodes be four every one was in there right body. Also Bender try's too steel a crown :D