Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

number5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 8:56 pm

So I've had it with our cable bill. I'm interested in canceling the service and just going with an antenna for basic and possibly purchasing a Roku, or something, for Netflix, Hulu, etc. Our TV is about 10 years old, so I'm pretty sure we need the digital converter (although, I'm not positive). Has anyone else done anything similar? We also own an XBOX 360, but do not subscribe to the Live service.

Our goal is to do this as cheaply as possible. It seems like it would be better to just buy a Roku than to pay monthly for XBOX Live. We don't really care about HD or Bluray. We are near a large city (about 15 miles) and live up in a high-rise apartment. Any tips and/or hints are appreciated as I'm not very savvy when it comes to technology.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm

number5 wrote:
So I've had it with our cable bill. I'm interested in canceling the service and just going with an antenna for basic and possibly purchasing a Roku, or something, for Netflix, Hulu, etc. Our TV is about 10 years old, so I'm pretty sure we need the digital converter (although, I'm not positive). Has anyone else done anything similar? We also own an XBOX 360, but do not subscribe to the Live service.

Our goal is to do this as cheaply as possible. It seems like it would be better to just buy a Roku than to pay monthly for XBOX Live. We don't really care about HD or Bluray. We are near a large city (about 15 miles) and live up in a high-rise apartment. Any tips and/or hints are appreciated as I'm not very savvy when it comes to technology.

well, you can stream netflix over the wii, just in case ya havent thought about that yet.

My TV is like 15 years old, no need for converter. Depends on the TV more or less.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 11:26 pm

number5 wrote:

Interesting. Just the other day I read an article that cable was struggling with their customer pool, and I also received a call from the local cable service asking if I'd like to get cable TV.

I said no. I can't afford it and whatever I watch I watch on DVD or online.

Who would have forecasted the decline of TV? Or rather, the decline of cable TV and the evolution of the vector of entertainment for TV in such a manner.

Interesting....very interesting.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2010, 4:39 am

I'd love to get rid of cable, but I need The Comedy Channel to keep me sane. But the channels come bundled - the usual whine. Is there a way to get only the six channels I want? It's not available through the provider, of course. I've thought of getting rid of it so many times, but laughter is priceless.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 7:54 am

DemonAbyss10: No Wii, but good to hear it's possible that I don't need a converter, although I'm still not sure how to tell if I do or not.

Claradoon: I love Comedy Central too! You can get a some of their shows on Hulu. I think it's a $10/month subscription, but I think you have to wait an extra day to see it. At least for me, I often fall asleep before the shows I like are on, so I end up watching them the next day anyway.

For now, it says that Hulu on Roku and Bluray players is "coming soon." I'm a little hesitant to make the investment if something causes this to not happen soon (perhaps related to the Comcast buyout of NBC...).