Putin Orders Russian Government to Switch to Free Software

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2011, 2:59 pm

Very funny. I'm not technoligically challenged and I'm not a Microslfot fanboy. One this forum you're not allowd to attack poeple though your are allowed to attack their posts. I've noticed some statements in an open source fan's post that doesn't make sense. I'm not going to say what it is though. In fact you're bring up a post that I actually correct myself on. Read through the postings. I love open source when it works. I did have an open source screen shot program downloaded that would put a square on the screen that wouldn't go away after the program exited. You think that's an error due to me? No way!

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 5:19 pm

Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux all come with screenshot programs built in. I don't understand why you would need to download one.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 6:22 pm

And unless you're on a Mac, all you have to do is hit the PrintScreen key on your keyboard.

So... yeah. I stand by all my prior comments.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2011, 6:44 pm

I'm talking about taking video screenshots Not still ones. I've been using Windows Vista's screenshot program for a while.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:14 pm

I thought to myself: surely a modern OS would have such a tool. So I booted my brothers vista ultimate machine and fiddled around with media center, media player and movie maker.

Nope. Nothing there. You can record from a camera easily enough, but not a screen cast. And you can record your favorite movies and TV shows though, something illegal that MS apparently condones with one hand, while fighting with the other.

So I hit the MS downloads website. Nope. Nothing.

Vista(and it seems seven) cannot do a simple capture of its own desktop unless you go to a third party install. How pathetic is that?

Maybe someday windows will be ready for the desktop. A few versions after that, it might even start being usable for the Internet.

But I wouldnt hold your breath. I remember doing desktop video captures in windows XP, but apparently they dont want you doing that any more. Maybe it violates the EULA? Who knows?

I guess thats what people mean when they say Windows is more polished than Linux. Polished means "free of features".

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

Research Microsoft Expression Encoder. That's what I use. Expression Encoder includes a video screen shot program. Expression encoder is really for encoding Silverlight, but it does include a video screen shot program. Look for the express edition.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:35 pm

That's not open source.

Which open-source screencast program was giving you trouble?

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 10:16 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Vista(and it seems seven) cannot do a simple capture of its own desktop unless you go to a third party install. How pathetic is that?

I've taken screenshots in Windows 7. I found something in the start menu that allows you to do it. Though Windows' screenshot utility is definitely less efficient than Mac's, where all you have to do is type Cmd+Shift+4 at any time.

Fuzzy wrote:
I guess thats what people mean when they say Windows is more polished than Linux. Polished means "free of features".

Aw, come on! Aero doesn't impress you? I mean, I know it requires a full 1 GB of RAM and 128 MB of graphics memory to run, but seriously... :P

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2011, 7:26 pm

The video screen shot program is called CamStudio. I believe Microsoft Encoder would be considered Freeware. I was looking fo this type of program so that I could send a little video showing the person the basics of a user form in case they were beginners.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 9:06 pm

Brianm wrote:
The video screen shot program is called CamStudio. I believe Microsoft Encoder would be considered Freeware. I was looking fo this type of program so that I could send a little video showing the person the basics of a user form in case they were beginners.

A specific person or a general tutorial for people? If its individuals, you could use something like teamviewer which is free for personal use, and is cross platform(if that is an issue). In conjunction with skype or chat this would let you guide them through in real time.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2011, 11:18 pm

I said it wrong. I have software that I've built that I want to show the users how to access it's features. The video is actually embedded in the program under the help menu.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 10:31 am

Brianm wrote:
I said it wrong. I have software that I've built that I want to show the users how to access it's features. The video is actually embedded in the program under the help menu.

Thats a nice feature really. Good work.