Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 11:13 am

Biokinetica wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
The Droid X is alright, but Moto Blur is horrible. There are better Android phones out there.

Alright? Its amazing since it has many capabilities that any users needs!

Meh, it doesn't do anything that other Android phones don't.

The mere fact that it runs Froyo means it does. Since features like app-to-SD is only available to phones running Froyo, nobody on AT&T can do it, and Samsung won't play nice either.

Froyo is on over 50% of Android phones and is already outdated.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2011, 7:40 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Biokinetica wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
The Droid X is alright, but Moto Blur is horrible. There are better Android phones out there.

The mere fact that it runs Froyo means it does. Since features like app-to-SD is only available to phones running Froyo, nobody on AT&T can do it, and Samsung won't play nice either.

If by "outdated" you mean making minor changes to the icons and keyboard...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 9:49 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Biokinetica wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Asp-Z, it's Linux-based. As soon as you manage to get something compiled it's outdated.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 12:44 pm

By outdated I mean there's already a faster, better, nicer looking version of Android out. The only way to always be on the latest version (officially, at least) is to get your ass a Nexus S.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 4:55 pm

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_bionic-3710.php

Specs on the Droid Bionic

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 5:17 am

JerryHatake wrote:

I'd say that the Atrix is a much more revolutionary phone:

It docks into your computer and becomes a computer! And it has 1GB RAM!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 5:31 am

Asp-Z wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

I'd say that the Atrix is a much more revolutionary phone:

It docks into your computer and becomes a computer! And it has 1GB RAM!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/moto ... -hands-on/

Okay.. but the Atrix and Droid Bionic are both revolutionary honestly...

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wir ... se-613302/

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2011, 9:50 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
By outdated I mean there's already a faster, better, nicer looking version of Android out. The only way to always be on the latest version (officially, at least) is to get your ass a Nexus S.

Uhh, I think you mean "slower". Since gingerbread recommends a 1Ghz processor, it's obvious that the bloat has increased to the point of older hardware choking while running it. Other than that, the UI and keyboard are the only changes users will notice, the latter often being resolved through third-party keyboards regardless of what Google does. And "nicer looking" is just your opinion, so that's not even up for debate.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm

Biokinetica wrote:
gingerbread recommends a 1Ghz processor, it's obvious that the bloat has increased to the point of older hardware choking while running it.

Wait, seriously? Even the mainline desktop Linux kernel runs fine on less than 1GHz. I have a Debian box (Linux 2.6.32-5) with a 400MHz processor that runs without any trouble.

I guess that's what you get for relying on Java so heavily.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2011, 12:42 am

Well, they don't, really. Android uses the Java language, but not its class libraries. Bornstein also wrote his own VM (in place of the Java VM). On top of that, Java bytecode is also converted to an alternate instruction set to be used by that custom VM (they don't use the java vm, so they have to convert the bytecode). You're probably wondering why they bothered using java at all. It's probably because it's a pervasive language that's very similar to C++, meaning incoming programming hires would be able to slide right in to OS maintenance. As for the OS itself, Android is supposed to be a bit lighter on the hardware than if it had used a raw java system.

In other words, keep the language, but tighten up the implementation.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 3:19 am

Gingerbread has better task and memory management, so it's faster, and the benchmarks reflect that.

Anyway, my point is, if what you care about is having the latest version of Android, you're better off getting the latest Nexus phone over some Motorola.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2011, 3:43 am

"Speed" is a whole-lot more than 'better memory management'. In fact, it's really not that important a factor. Managing ram better doesn't really matter since physical location of the data is irrelevant. 512 mb is more than enough for these phones, android or not. I don't know what your fanboysim over the Nexus S is, but it's no better than any of the other 1ghz phones - it's just linked straight to google, so it gets updated first.

And I wouldn't run around bashing phones you've never used; the Droid X doesn't have Motoblur, and never did.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 3:50 am

Biokinetica wrote:
"Speed" is a whole-lot more than 'better memory management'. In fact, it's really not that important a factor. Managing ram better doesn't really matter since physical location of the data is irrelevant. 512 mb is more than enough for these phones, android or not. I don't know what your fanboysim over the Nexus S is, but it's no better than any of the other 1ghz phones - it's just linked straight to google, so it gets updated first.

And I wouldn't run around bashing phones you've never used; the Droid X doesn't have Motoblur, and never did.

The fact it manages tasks better is important, however. Since Android leaves everything running in the background, your CPU and battery will be eaten up if the OS isn't managing it all properly, as anyone with an Android phone can tell you.

As for fanboyism and bashing phones... What are you on about? You said, quite clearly, that the Motorola Droid X is better than most Android phones because it runs Froyo, and I'm telling you that if the latest version of Android is what's important to you, the Nexus S is a better phone to get. And I never bashed anything, you're the one bashing an OS you've never used.

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2011, 4:42 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Biokinetica wrote:

The fact it manages tasks better is important, however. Since Android leaves everything running in the background, your CPU and battery will be eaten up if the OS isn't managing it all properly, as anyone with an Android phone can tell you.
That's only true if you're too dumb to shut down the apps and not leave them in the background all the time. The biggest power hog is the display or any app that wants GPS data. Something I'm aware of because I check the battery usage before every charge on my Droid X.
Quote:
As for fanboyism and bashing phones... What are you on about? You said, quite clearly, that the Motorola Droid X is better than most Android phones because it runs Froyo, and I'm telling you that if the latest version of Android is what's important to you, the Nexus S is a better phone to get. And I never bashed anything, you're the one bashing an OS you've never used.
No, I didn't say that at all, that's what you wanted to read. I said that the Droid X does things that not all other phones do, and that was it. Also, I didn't say anything about needing to run the latest version of the OS. I only indicated that froyo was allowing the phones that it's loaded on features that aren't in Eclair or the versions below it. I could apply the same logic to half of HTC's line of android handsets.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 4:52 am

Biokinetica wrote:
That's only true if you're too dumb to shut down the apps and not leave them in the background all the time. The biggest power hog is the display or any app that wants GPS data. Something I'm aware of because I check the battery usage before every charge on my Droid X.

If you shut down tasks on Android, that uses up power too because the system's meant to use its own allocation methods to close unwanted apps automatically. I read this big article about it on the Google Android Developer site. Besides, who really bothers to manually close down tasks anyway? On my iPhone, I could run as many things as I wanted and it wouldn't affect it at all (though, obviously, I understand that iOS doesn't have true multitasking, it still lets you do the same thing in real world use).

Quote:
No, I didn't say that at all, that's what you wanted to read. I said that the Droid X does things that not all other phones do, and that was it. Also, I didn't say anything about needing to run the latest version of the OS. I only indicated that froyo was allowing the phones that it's loaded on features that aren't in Eclair or the versions below it. I could apply the same logic to half of HTC's line of android handsets.

Umm...

Biokinetica wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

The mere fact that it runs Froyo means it does.

You specifically said it did things that most other Android phones don't because of Froyo, even though half of Android phones have Froyo and it's now outdated. Fanboyism on your part much?

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2011, 6:34 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Biokinetica wrote:

If you shut down tasks on Android, that uses up power too because the system's meant to use its own allocation methods to close unwanted apps automatically. I read this big article about it on the Google Android Developer site. Besides, who really bothers to manually close down tasks anyway? On my iPhone, I could run as many things as I wanted and it wouldn't affect it at all (though, obviously, I understand that iOS doesn't have true multitasking, it still lets you do the same thing in real world use).

...not for third-party apps. You don't need tweetdeck running all the time. Do you own an android phone? You don't sound like someone with any experience with one.

Quote:
Quote:

Umm...

Biokinetica wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

The mere fact that it runs Froyo means it does.

You specifically said it did things that most other Android phones don't because of Froyo, even though half of Android phones have Froyo and it's now outdated. Fanboyism on your part much?

No, it's not. Once again, you're not reading. Stop thinking about "outdated" and just read the post. I'm talking about froyo and nothing else. I didn't say that a phone needs the latest OS, I said froyo allows some phones to do more, like app-to-SD. For comparison, gingerbread hasn't done much beyond performance improvements, which are expected. You don't get bonus points for that. NFC is neat, but is dependent upon businesses caring enough to use it.