Viable solution to clean drinking water in developing world

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 9:34 pm

Will keep it short and leave it to people to look at the info themselves if they wish.

A man named Michael Pritchard has designed a filtered water bottle which can filter our all bacteria and virus, leaving safe drinking water.

In terms of cost effectiveness, this is a great way of providing safe drinking water to those who really need it and anywhere in the world, where there is a disaster, instead of people having to gather in camps who provide food, medical care and water, there is a significantly smaller chance of disease being able to spread since people don't need to be stuck in a fixed area.

Here are the facts and here is a video as well which explains it in perfect detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeSaver_bottle

Quote:
After the 2004 Asian Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina disaster in the U.S., Michael Pritchard, a water-treatment expert in Ipswich, England[1] began to develop the Lifesaver bottle after seeing that it took multiple days for water to reach refugees.[2][3] Pritchard presented a prototype of the Lifesaver at 2007's DSEi London, where the product was named "Best Technological Development".[2][4] Pritchard's entire stock of 1,000 bottles sold out within four hours of the presentation.[3]

Speaking at TED in 2009, Pritchard estimated that by utilising the Lifesaver bottle reaching the Millennium Development Goals of halving the number of people without drinking water will cost $8 billion; while $20 billion would provide drinking water for everyone on earth.[5]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdBCxZhKpQ[/youtube]

If you like it please consider going on their website and buying one for yourself in case of emergency or donating one through the website to somebody whose life it could change.

Imagine yourself in that persons shoes and think about how a little can go a long way. :)

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/buy.html
Quote:
Buy One Donate One

Buy 1x LIFESAVER bottle 400UF for £99.54 & gift 1x LIFESAVER bottle 400UF for £59 to our Aid Appeal

EDIT: Distributors available in the United States also.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 10:19 pm

Well gonna go to bed which i should have done hours ago.

Would appreciate it if people left feedback on what they think of the Lifesaver bottle whether that is good or bad.

I am not here to promote it for profit but see it as a great idea which could raise the standard of living for many people.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm

It is an improvement. I am interested how he made 25 nm pores i.e. what is a material inside.
Bad sides: I don't like that the filter is not self-cleaning and that it cannot clean heavy metals and salts.
Still the amount of water it can filter is great.

It is good as a temporary solution but I would like to see a new filter design besides simple particle packing. Something truly self-sustainable forever maybe just to use some current from photovoltaic to burn off the junk after it is filtered.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 12:22 am

To be quite blunt, I think they are a good idea, but I think $160 is more than most countries are willing to spend on a individual third world refugee. I'm not even sure that FEMA would be willing to pay for those for US citizens.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 8:46 am

I don't know what materials are used actually.

The UK itself spends around 12 billion pounds a year (or did in the video in 2009 or whatever).

if 20 billion, which could easily be split between a huge number of nations was purchased in one go that is a temporary fix as somebody mentioned which even put many thirsty people in the position where they could take a more active role in building up there own clean water infra structure.

If you happen to know anyone who works with any charities, especially those aimed at poverty please point this out to them so they have the option of making use of this.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 10:13 am

My proposal is to have the people of the developing world stop p*ssing and sh*ting in the bodies of water that are used as drinking water sources. Teach the Miserable of the Earth to dig proper latrines away from aquifers.

ruveyn

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
My proposal is to have the people of the developing world stop p*ssing and sh*ting in the bodies of water that are used as drinking water sources. Teach the Miserable of the Earth to dig proper latrines away from aquifers.

ruveyn

I sincerely hope that is a joke.

These sorts of things seem to exist naturally in the environment because multiple organisms contribute to these hazardous things in the environment.

These people are unlikely to understand the technicalities of it either.

Perhaps donations of products like the Lifesaver Bottle could give them the opportunity to give themselves a push towards change for the better.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 9:13 pm

Good results have even been had by placing water in clear plastic bottles and leaving them in the sun for a number of hours. The majority of the bacteria are neutralized by this.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 11:39 am

would other chemicals be needed to make the heat kill bacteria?

the problem seems to be, not just bacteria, but virus which is smaller.

the lifesaver bottle filters out the smallest virus we know of.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 11:53 am

PatrickNeville wrote:
would other chemicals be needed to make the heat kill bacteria?

the problem seems to be, not just bacteria, but virus which is smaller.

the lifesaver bottle filters out the smallest virus we know of.

Further information may be found at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_disinfection.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 12:04 pm

maybe not as healthy as a lifesaver bottle, but you can;'t argue against a much more cost effective solution.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
maybe not as healthy as a lifesaver bottle, but you can;'t argue against a much more cost effective solution.

Indubitably.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:12 pm

what about evaporating/re-condensing the water? It would leave behind the salts, and I imagine it would kill a lot of the bacteria, if it was left in the sun to evaporate.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:23 pm

ryan93 wrote:
what about evaporating/re-condensing the water? It would leave behind the salts, and I imagine it would kill a lot of the bacteria, if it was left in the sun to evaporate.

Evaporates the salts but i do not think it can kill all the virus which is what the main problem is.

If people drink from things like ponds in africa they have a %50 chance of getting diarrhoea due to the virus' in the water.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:32 pm

I find it funny he bases his solution to the world's water problem by claiming the water infrastructure isn't needed if everyone had a unit of his invention in their house (DING! marketing plugin).

For all his being 'upset' and wanting to 'save people' he sure is charging a pretty penny for those bottles.... you'd figure if he was doing it to save lives he would've donated the patent to the UN/UNICEF rather than profit greatly from it.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:39 pm

Dantac wrote:
I find it funny he bases his solution to the world's water problem by claiming the water infrastructure isn't needed if everyone had a unit of his invention in their house (DING! marketing plugin).

For all his being 'upset' and wanting to 'save people' he sure is charging a pretty penny for those bottles.... you'd figure if he was doing it to save lives he would've donated the patent to the UN/UNICEF rather than profit greatly from it.

A quick google search on Lifesaver Bottle Patents revealed the same criticism you mentioned.

If he has a useful technology and is keeping it for money, he is a greedy bastard. :(