Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 9:39 pm

I know that sounds like a pretty weird question, but bear with me. I'm probably taking Anatomy next year (If I get the grades, I suppose), and I'd like to get a skull of some sort, preferably a large one. I don't want to chip out cash for it (unless I really have to), and I really don't want to go through the awkwardness of asking some farmer or butcher for one. Is there anywhere in the country I'd be guaranteed to find one?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 9:53 pm

http://www.shopping.google.com

try that.

CoalBogey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 2:58 am

If you can't find one lying around somewhere and have to buy one as a last resort:

skullsunlimited[dot]com

(I'm not allowed to post URLs because I don't have enough posts yet)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 6:47 am

In an animal. :P

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 10:28 am

where animals have been or are.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 12:24 pm

Go to your local university that has either an anthropology, zoology/veterinarian or medicine programs and ask them.

You will not be able to buy human remains of course but there are companies out there that sell plastic or plaster replicas. If you need animal stuff then you're better off with the replicas as well.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 12:56 pm

Dantac wrote:
Go to your local university that has either an anthropology, zoology/veterinarian or medicine programs and ask them.

You will not be able to buy human remains of course but there are companies out there that sell plastic or plaster replicas. If you need animal stuff then you're better off with the replicas as well.

Naturally enough, but I did run into a site that sells human skulls for about a thousand dollars. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if I didn't know that the bones were either stolen, or sold from a third world country :?

I'm currently taking Zoology, and I seen that during one lab session there was a hundred dog skulls (wonder where they got them?) on the benches for the next class. I think it's very unlikely they would give me one, and I wouldn't rob one from the lab (it'd be like robbing a library book, pretty deplorable). I'll probably just buy one one Ebay, it's a pity most of the bones come from small animals like pine martins, and badgers.

I briefly thought about just dissecting one out of a dead fox (they tend to turn up where I live), but I don't think my roommate would appreciate the site of a half disected animal splayed on the floor.

So, er, Ebay it is :) I'll post pics when I get it.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 2:16 pm

ryan93 wrote:

Naturally enough, but I did run into a site that sells human skulls for about a thousand dollars. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if I didn't know that the bones were either stolen, or sold from a third world country :?

trafficking in human remains even if you are an unintentional 'innocent' buyer is a federal felony and your ass will be in jail for 20+ years. DONT.

Quote:
So, er, Ebay it is :) I'll post pics when I get it.

Try this, they sell accurate replicas:

http://www.boneclones.com/

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Trafficking in human remains even if you are an unintentional 'innocent' buyer is a federal felony and your ass will be in jail for 20+ years. DONT.

Nah, I live in Ireland and I'm not sure theres any specific legislation against it. I have moral issue with buying a skull for educational purposes, providing it was donated for free for educational purposes, but I imagine most are sold by the poor in the Third World, and I'm against people having to do that sort of thing. Don't worry, I'm not considering it.

Quote:
Try this, they sell accurate replicas:

http://www.boneclones.com/

The skulls on that site are extremely accurate, and also extremely dear. All the cheaper replicas are absolute jokes, there don't even have any of the facial foramina, or any of the suture lines between bones. I really don't have two hundred euro for a replica.