Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

supra_chiasma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2011, 10:57 pm

What is your favorite hypothesis?

Last edited by supra_chiasma on 17 Feb 2011, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 10:58 pm

That's a theory, not a hypothesis. :P

EDIT: Nevermind, the OP edited his post.

Last edited by dunbots on 17 Feb 2011, 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 11:03 pm

Matter is made of atoms and is not infinitely divisible.

rueyn

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Feb 2011, 6:23 am

The Gaia Hypothesis by James Lovelock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 7:14 am

richie wrote:
The Gaia Hypothesis by James Lovelock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis

There is not an iota of empirical evidence indicating that the earth (as a totality) is a living being. The earth does not replicate so it cannot be a living thing. However there are living things on it. In any case the planet is not sentient.

ruveyn

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 7:27 am

That we affect reality with our minds.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 10:12 am

Maje wrote:
That we affect reality with our minds.

Your mind is your brain and your brain operates your body which affects reality.

The point is rather trite and banal.

ruveyn

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 11:24 am

I like Richie and Maje's ones :)

I think it is likely there is a high degree of truth to it.

My favourite hypothesis is maybe that all our conciousness exists in a dimension of its own and is connected together through that dimension.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 11:39 am

ruveyn wrote:
richie wrote:

There is not an iota of empirical evidence indicating that the earth (as a totality) is a living being. The earth does not replicate so it cannot be a living thing. However there are living things on it. In any case the planet is not sentient.

ruveyn

All matter in the known universe is a slow vibrational wave. I think it is likely that amongst these vibrational waves of energy is conciousness, and that conciousness probably uses a body as medium of communicating with the material world.

If this is true then it would make sense that a combination of lifeforms could form a collective conciousness within the biosphere.

Even if we don't believe we consciously process information from the minds of others, it is highly likely the thoughts and feelings of others influence ourselves.

The easiest example of this is attempting to explain Mothers intuition. How do they sense something is good or something is wrong with a child? Could quite easily be that the conciousness of a child is picked up through an energy we are yet to learn to be able to measure through instruments by the Mother.

Another explanation could be that all our conciousness is exists only within our bodies, but a form of electro magnetic energy of some description radiates from us and is picked up by the minds of others.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 1:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Your mind is your brain and your brain operates your body which affects reality.

This made my day :D

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:25 pm

and yet it is the mind that, without altering physical reality, creates its own separate reality where it runs its simulations and events, outcomes and probabilities, decisions and needs... which becomes physical reality by ordering the body to do so.

So.. which reality is really the one where our consciousness exists? The one each individual brain creates within or the shared reality that is experienced through external stimuli?

:hic:

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:37 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
richie wrote:

ruveyn

All matter in the known universe is a slow vibrational wave. I think it is likely that amongst these vibrational waves of energy is conciousness, and that conciousness probably uses a body as medium of communicating with the material world.

If this is true then it would make sense that a combination of lifeforms could form a collective conciousness within the biosphere.

Even if we don't believe we consciously process information from the minds of others, it is highly likely the thoughts and feelings of others influence ourselves.

The easiest example of this is attempting to explain Mothers intuition. How do they sense something is good or something is wrong with a child? Could quite easily be that the conciousness of a child is picked up through an energy we are yet to learn to be able to measure through instruments by the Mother.

Another explanation could be that all our conciousness is exists only within our bodies, but a form of electro magnetic energy of some description radiates from us and is picked up by the minds of others.

Yeah, and on the atomic level everything is not physically connected, but a sea of energy -> magnetical connected in a way.

That for example peoples tension affect me without me having a choice but being affected is a fact. Also peoples moods, but that one is common, so I probably didnt have to say that.
If Im in my own thoughts and suddenly look up from what Im doing - for no spesific reason, I sometimes look exactly in the direction of somebody who has been watching me, and have an awkward eye contact with that stranger for a second, while the stranger also is troubled and wakes up in a way. That happens too often -> I dont know why I suddenly turn the head in exactly that direction.

The hypothesis that we affect reality with our existence, because the energy ocean (everything) is just waiting for us to affect it, conscious or not, is the most interesting hypothesis in the world.

By the principle: what you expect matches the reality.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 7:59 pm

Maje wrote:

The hypothesis that we affect reality with our existence, because the energy ocean (everything) is just waiting for us to affect it, conscious or not, is the most interesting hypothesis in the world.

Mostly we push stuff, pull stuff, break stuff and heat stuff up.

ruveyn

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 8:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Maje wrote:

Mostly we push stuff, pull stuff, break stuff and heat stuff up.

ruveyn

In an infinite loop 180 km/h by rain and 25°C

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:50 am

Maje wrote:
Yeah, and on the atomic level everything is not physically connected, but a sea of energy -> magnetical connected in a way.

That for example peoples tension affect me without me having a choice but being affected is a fact. Also peoples moods, but that one is common, so I probably didnt have to say that.
If Im in my own thoughts and suddenly look up from what Im doing - for no spesific reason, I sometimes look exactly in the direction of somebody who has been watching me, and have an awkward eye contact with that stranger for a second, while the stranger also is troubled and wakes up in a way. That happens too often -> I dont know why I suddenly turn the head in exactly that direction.

Was it you I had almost this same conversation with before? It must have been lol

ESP probably affects our senses in a little way without us realising.