Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 7:01 am

Whats before life?
How can nothing be logical?
Because life even exists there is nothing, nothing (like infinite) is illogical in my eyes.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:15 am

Madbones wrote:
Whats before life?

Rocks and chemicals.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 May 2011, 9:32 am

AstroGeek wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Whats before life?
Rocks and chemicals.
No, back even further than that. :wink:

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:33 am

AstroGeek wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Whats before life?

Rocks and chemicals.
Wait, sorry. I ment what comes before life? Blackness?
Seances, Sound?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 10:40 am

Madbones wrote:
Whats before life?

i am happiest with the concept that time had no beginning (unlike current speculation). if time "started" at some "point in time", then there must have been an infinite "period" (for want of a better word which is "time") previous to the beginning of time. what happened five seconds before the big bang? apparently there was no "5 seconds" before the big bang.

before and after we are alive, we are not in existence, so after we die, we are dead forever. but we were dead forever before we were born as well.

even if there is a beginning of time (which i doubt), then there was no time before that, and so it is still true that the line of time that extends behind you before your birth is forever long due to the fact that there is zero to be beheld prior to the beginning of time.

it is like saying "time did not exist forever.... before it started to exist".

if i went though "forever" being "dead" before i was born, then my lack of inclusion in it is the reason i felt no duration before i was born.

likewise, after i die, i will be dead forever and will feel no duration because "i" (my consciousness) am not included in the passage of the universe.

will i reawaken? can eternal obliviousness end with any thing else than an awakening?

Madbones wrote:

"nothing" means "no thing" obviously. anything that exists is a "thing", and so "no thing" can not be "any thing".

if "no thing" is not "any thing", then "nothing" does not exist, because all things that exist are "things".
logic can not quantify empty voids. "nothing" is not logically fertile. that can be read 2 ways. please take the time to try to see both ways.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 10:46 am

Madbones wrote:
Whats before life?
Because life even exists there is nothing, nothing (like infinite) is illogical in my eyes.

Other things

The fact that there was nothing perceiving the Universe does not imply the same laws of the Universe did not hold.

Thats your problem. Logic is our way of modelling Nature; if you cannot concieve of nothing, then your model is faulty.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:15 pm

Madbones wrote:
Whats before life?

Or perhaps there was always something.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:29 pm

[1]In The Beginning, there was nothing. [2]A few minutes later, there was still nothing. [3]Then things got really boring for a very long time.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 7:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
[1]In The Beginning, there was nothing. [2]A few minutes later, there was still nothing. [3]Then things got really boring for a very long time.

It there was nothing, how could it be identified as a beginning. A beginning is Something.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:55 pm

As Ruveyn can prove with his great math skills, 0+0, 0X0, 0-0, 0/0, only produces one answer every time.

You can not get something from nothing.

Before life locally, there was DNA, and as soon as our rock cooled of, life started. In 5,000,000,000 years, nothing like DNA has formed in a swamp or hot spring. Also, nothing can be proven to be DNA from another source.

You are all blue green algae, which was programed to produce all other life. You are Pond Scum!

I have built some crafty things, but nothing compares to the work that went into DNA. It was done and perfected befor our rock cooled off.

Looking at the players, once Black Holes were much smaller, and the first of their kind. How old are they? They eat everything.

Awareness started somewhere, lead to seven billion partly aware here.

Everything is eaten, soon the Wraith will come.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It there was nothing, how could it be identified as a beginning. A beginning is Something.

If there is no evidence for something then isn't it safe to assume there is nothing?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:39 pm

Quote:
As Ruveyn can prove with his great math skills, 0+0, 0X0, 0-0, 0/0, only produces one answer every time.

You can not get something from nothing.

B does not follow from A.

Quote:
You are all blue green algae, which was programed to produce all other life. You are Pond Scum!

I am a eukaryote.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2011, 8:06 am

0/0 is not 0
otherwise I agree about the DNA, very neat stuff. I mean DNA is part of the story, amino acids are much more intriguing. They are doing the work. It's like lego land to produce functional stuff.

Regarding the beginning of time, just use the math to envision it that is the only thing that works everywhere. Quantum mechanic and general relativity are illogical too, simply on a different scale things behave differently.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:06 am

Inventor wrote:

0/0 is not defined. All the others are 0.

ruveyn

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:41 pm

Inventor wrote:

0/0 is undefined but doesn't always equal the same thing--at least not when you get it as an answer to a limit. I can think of one instance where it equals 2, and another where it equals 0. Except now I see ruveyn has already answered that.