Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 4:45 am

Hey!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y[/youtube]
That looks awesome right?
Why did microsoft kill it?
It looks awesome. Did they mess up with it real bad or something?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:01 am

My thoughts....

1. Microsoft has a crash and burn practice that repeats regularly. Windows 95 was beta test garbage and 98 reflected a more polished version. Windows NT was garbage that Windows 2000 replaced. Windows ME and CE were laughed at. Windows XP was quite solid and was preferred over Windows Vista which did not offer all people thought was being represented. Windows 7 is it's evolution.

2. Longhorn was probably a product concept. All the video you see was probably more a structured program designed to work smoothly and flawlessly on a high-end PC, but it was not a fully-produced OS in any sense. Easy to make something flashy look good in presentation when what you're showing is a concept model with limited functionality. Getting an OS to do what you're showing and make it stable and reliable...that's a different animal altogether. I suspect Longhorn was not possible without making the OS insanely huge, prone to tons of hidden bugs and flaws to weed out, and needing a very high-end PC to be able to run as demonstrated. Even Windows 7 has a "basic" version for netbooks and older systems lacking hardware needed to run Windows 7 at acceptable speeds.

Maybe a version of the Longhorn concept will come to market, but if Microsoft doesn't want egg on its face, it needs to ensure when it is released it does everything promised without any negatives that makes it the joke of the PC world.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:18 am

Madbones wrote:

Um... they didn't. Longhorn was the development codename for Vista. So, yes, they did mess up with it real bad, but unfortunately they didn't take the rational step of killing it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

Orwell wrote:
Madbones wrote:

Um... they didn't. Longhorn was the development codename for Vista ...

That is what I had thought, and "Longhorn" is still the name found by my own uses of GRUB for multi-booting Vista < Windows 7.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 6:19 am

Yeah, Longhorn is Vista.

So it's more like why didn't they abort it before it was born to show us its dreadful existence?

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 7:30 am

MCalavera wrote:
Yeah, Longhorn is Vista.

So it's more like why didn't they abort it before it was born to show us its dreadful existence?

Hit the nail on the head.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 1:13 am

Doesn't look impressive to me, just different. I'm more than happy with the direction Microsoft went with Windows 7.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:52 am

Quote:
zer0netgain wrote:
My thoughts....

1. Microsoft has a crash and burn practice that repeats regularly. Windows 95 was beta test garbage and 98 reflected a more polished version. Windows NT was garbage that Windows 2000 replaced. Windows ME and CE were laughed at. Windows XP was quite solid and was preferred over Windows Vista which did not offer all people thought was being represented. Windows 7 is it's evolution

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:52 am

Double Post :P

Last edited by ryan93 on 14 Jun 2011, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

Windows 8 looks a lot like this (a flashy monstrosity).

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Windows 8 looks a lot like this (a flashy monstrosity).

Your right.

xemnasfan
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

looks to busy and like it would drag my computer to it's knees. i like vista and 7 more xp was to simple not much to it. vista was almost what i wanted and 7 has just about everything i could dream of.

my only nitpick with 7 is "why the hell did they screw with movie maker, it was fine the way it was" media player is cool looking, and slideshow desktops as a built in feature was awesome.

heck i would have got 7 just for slideshow desktops alone. now i don't have to manualy change my wallpaper, and i didn't have to download anything extra to get it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 7:09 am

xemnasfan wrote:
... slideshow desktops as a built in feature was awesome.

heck i would have got 7 just for slideshow desktops alone. now i don't have to manualy change my wallpaper, and i didn't have to download anything extra to get it.

I thought that was cool in Windows 7 until I installed Firefox and began experiencing crashes when something conflicted.

xemnasfan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

leejosepho wrote:
xemnasfan wrote:

I thought that was cool in Windows 7 until I installed Firefox and began experiencing crashes when something conflicted.

i use firefox as my main web browser, and i haven't had any problems yet, that's odd that you are could it be that my compy is 64 bit but who knows. that's like me having a ton of problems with dragon age origins and most others don't.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

xemnasfan wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
xemnasfan wrote:

i use firefox as my main web browser, and i haven't had any problems yet, that's odd that you are could it be that my compy is 64 bit but who knows. that's like me having a ton of problems with dragon age origins and most others don't.

I have had the problem on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines, but LogMeIn is also in the picture. So, maybe something about LogMeIn and the background changer is what has caused Firefox to act up.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

Has LogMeIn disabled Aero too?
That could be caused by mirror display driver. Look in device manager for any mirror driver. If found disable it, these softwares usually still work with such driver disabled.