Favorite Integrated Development Environment (IDE)?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What's your favorite integrated development environment (IDE)?
Eclipse 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
NetBeans 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Microsoft Visual Studio 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
KDevelop 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Embarcadero Delphi/C++Builder IDE 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Oracle JDeveloper 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
GNOME Anjuta 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:05 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Eclipse has numerous templates built-in, and you can add your own. These are generally for things you would not be able to put in their own methods. For example, iterating over a Collection before Java 5, was a pain:

Ah, I see. I still say "Ugh", but now it's at java, rather than Eclipse.

Quote:
Another template is "syso", which expands out to "System.out".

Emacs has abbreviations you can setup, which could do that sort of expansion automagically. I still say "Ugh" at java, though. System.out.println(), for example, is just plain ugly.

Quote:
They're pretty esoteric if you use point-and-click for most of your computer activities. I do use some keyboard shortcuts in Eclipse, but Eclipse presents these through the GUI too (albeit sometimes buried under numerous submenus). I find a combination of graphical and keyboard works best for me.

No, really, they aren't that hard. File->Open File, File->Save As, File->Save, File->Quit, and so forth. Cut/copy/paste/undo are all under the Edit menu, and you can remap the keyboard shortcuts to be more windows-like for these 4 operations by turning on CUA-mode, which can be done under the Options menu.

It has a fair number of the fancy commands in the menus as well, although if all you ever use are menus, you're giving up a lot of power and flexibility for no good reason. It has a good help system, and especially if you google things as a supplement to the help system, it isn't hard to find out what the command for something is, even if you don't know what it's called. You don't have to memorize every possibly useful command before ever using it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

Ancalagon wrote:
I still say "Ugh" at java, though. System.out.println(), for example, is just plain ugly.

Java 5 added static imports, so System.out.println can be reduced to out.println.
Code:
mport static System.out;

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:34 pm

I use Rstudio for R now. It seems like sadism copying and pasting from Notepad ++ now. Best of all, it is very minimalist; I hated the clutter of Notepad ++.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

hermanChess
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2011, 8:02 pm

Geany ftw!