Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Hey.
Im going to build the following system with my brother (we have not bought the parts yet but we almost have enough):

8GB DDR3 ram
GTX 570 1.2 GB DDR5
AMD Phenom II x6 Black Edition @ 3.2 Ghz (or .4)
1TB Super Silent Hard Drive (Forgot what make it was)
Windows 7 Ultimate

My brother wants to over clock the CPU to 4.2 Ghz like people do with the Intel CPU's.

Im not happy about doing it. We will never have this much money to build this kind of a machine again for a long long time.
So I need to know if it will be safe to over clock it.
I know it can run cool if it has the right cooler (I have spent 40 pounds on the cooler in my curent system which I will transplant) its an Evo one its huge and really cools the x4 Phenom I really well.

The reason I dont want to OCC, is that Im worried about things going wrong, I know it is easy. But I so don't want anything to go wrong. I know Overclocking can have some nasty consequences.

Whats your answer on this debate?

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

You won't break your processor by overclocking, as long as you run it at its rated voltage. Modern processors have temperature sensors built in, so your computer will just turn off if it starts to overheat.

If you clock too high, your system will start crashing, but your hardware will be fine.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

Intel's Sandy Bridge processors are fully unlocked. This means you can overclock them to unheard of speeds. As mcg states they have built-in temp sensors to kick in to protect the CPU and hardware from damage.

For example a Sandy Bridge processor running at a base frequency 3.3 could be fully overclocked to 5.7 GHz.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the- ... 0-tested/3

Last edited by kxmode on 13 Jul 2011, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ARustyFirePlace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2011, 8:35 pm

don't buy an AMD cpu bro, I'm saying this as a former AMD fanboy and current AMD user.

intel are owning AMD right now, go with an i5 2500k IMO.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:12 am

Why do you want to overclock?

Overclocking can shorten the life of a processor ad drastically increase power consumption which could show any weakness in your PSU and causing either instability, or system crashes.

The 3.2 and 3.4 should be able to go up an extra 500MHz, so pushing to 4GHz shouldn't be impossible. Easier still if they are BE versions (Black Edition)

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 6:03 am

Keith wrote:
Why do you want to overclock?

Overclocking can shorten the life of a processor ad drastically increase power consumption which could show any weakness in your PSU and causing either instability, or system crashes.

The 3.2 and 3.4 should be able to go up an extra 500MHz, so pushing to 4GHz shouldn't be impossible. Easier still if they are BE versions (Black Edition)

Trust me, its not what I want to do. But my brother however, does.
:( Difficult one is it not?
We are getting an i7 now.
That is (I think) a better overclocker?