Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:28 am

aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Yes, but there's nothing Windows, Linux, or OSX on any computer can't do than OSX can on an Apple computer. ;)

Garageband? iMovie? etc…. :wink:

the sole reason why OP ponders about buying a mac… :idea:

You can use those programs on OSX on any computer, whether you buy a Mac, or dualboot it with Windows or Linux on a much cheaper computer...

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:45 am

Burzum wrote:
Mac: Baby's first computer OS.

that's why mac users tend to be more educated ( http://blog.hunch.com/?p=45344 ) and earn more money ( http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_091005.html )… it ignites their creativity and strengthens their knowledge. they can use their apple tools for their developmental benefit….

in contrast… other computer users use their potentials to fight the systems they have chosen…. and waste years of their lifes to fight of malware and what not… and the rest of the time they use their PC as a simple gaming console.

mac users are able to make better and more informed decisions… since they usually have real knowledge AND experience regarding the platform differences… as you can read in the studies linked above… and that is exactly why they prefer a mac over other platforms.

maybe you should try to use a mac someday for more than 10 minutes… before making up your opinions.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:49 am

dunbots wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Yes, but there's nothing Windows, Linux, or OSX on any computer can't do than OSX can on an Apple computer. ;)

Garageband? iMovie? etc…. :wink:

the sole reason why OP ponders about buying a mac… :idea:

You can use those programs on OSX on any computer, whether you buy a Mac, or dualboot it with Windows or Linux on a much cheaper computer...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8oVU5AjqhU[/youtube]

yup. :wink:

Last edited by aspi-rant on 18 Jul 2011, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:50 am

aspi-rant wrote:
Burzum wrote:

that's why mac users tend to be more educated ( http://blog.hunch.com/?p=45344 ) and earn more money ( http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_091005.html )… it ignites their creativity and strengthens their knowledge. they can use their apple tools for their developmental benefit….

in contrast… other computer users use their potentials to fight the systems they have chosen…. and waste years of their lifes to fight of malware and what not… and the rest of the time they use their PC as a simple gaming console.

mac users are able to make better and more informed decisions… since they usually have real knowledge AND experience regarding the platform differences… as you can read in the studies linked above… and that is exactly why they prefer a mac over other platforms.

maybe you should try to use a mac someday for more than 10 minutes… before making up your opinions.

I really hope this is a joke, because your abundance of ignorance made me facepalm many times...

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:54 am

dunbots wrote:
Don't buy a Mac computer. If you want it for the operating system, you can easily install OSX on any Intel computer with sufficient specs, and even dual-boot it with Windows, but do not buy a computer from Apple, they're extremely overpriced and unless you're a hipster who's trying to fit in with everyone else, there's no reason at all to buy one.

+1

Mac = way overpriced

Windows = slightly overpriced

Linux = what we should all use

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:04 am

dunbots wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
Burzum wrote:

I really hope this is a joke, because your abundance of ignorance made me facepalm many times...

nope. no joke. sorry. :lol:

did you read the facts? did you also facepalm while reading them?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:15 am

aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
Burzum wrote:

Yes, because if they're true, then it just serves to prove that Mac users are hipsters, which is in no way a positive thing.

The most facepalm-worthy quote: "Mac people are 13% more likely than PC people to say they want to be 'perceived as unique and different to make my own mark."

Yes, let's all show how unique we are by buying the same overpriced crap...

Last edited by dunbots on 18 Jul 2011, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:29 am

dunbots wrote:
...your abundance of ignorance...

to address this statement with some simple facts:

you are 17 years old… meaning you were born around the midt 90's…

at that point when you were pooing in your diapers i have:

- been working on the mac for nearly 10 years
- been working on silicon graphics hardware for 5 years
- been working on NeXT for 5 years
- been working with PC's for 5 years
- been working with HP unix for 5 years
- been having fun with amiga's for 10 years

since then i have:

- been working on the mac for another 17 years… now totaling 27 years of mac experience.
- dropped the PC about 10 years ago… (can dual boot my macs in windows or use Parallel Desktop if absolutely needed)
- dropped silicon graphics more than 10 years ago
- dropped NeXT for more than 10 years ago
- dropped linux about 10 years ago (can use Parallel Desktop if absolutely needed)
- dropped HP unix for more than 10 years ago
- dropped amiga after the hardware died…

and why did i drop all those others?

simple… Mac OS X… a very well informed decision i made. probably more informed that you will ever have a chance to make, i think.

do you have any clue what ignorance means or is?

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:34 am

dunbots wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
Burzum wrote:

Yes, because if they're true, then it just serves to prove that Mac users are hipsters, which is in no way a positive thing.

to sum up your facepalming logic:

being a hipster is bad… because they are better educated and earn more money.

well. that explains why a PC fits you better, i guess. :roll:

carry on, lead, carry on.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:35 am

it's just like bang and olufsen you pay for the extra polish, software and hardware wise.
this also means that official development is slower and that they work with singular hardware standards for a long time.
of course with the hardware today that wont matter to most users.

none is better than the other they have their pro's and cons,

i would love a hackintosh for image editing but there is more and more open source alternatives to the popular mac software.
as for where my money goes, i enjoy gaming, and OC'ing and do both some modelling and simulation) so needless to say i have win 7 as my primary pc, it allows me ease of use while working with many different kinds of programs and a hardware setup that would put all but the most expensive macs to shame (i have a better gfx card than the one in their top line mac desktop and a similar processor except the top one as well, soon to change)

i could literally have 2 of these pc's for the price of a mac with similar specs and i would still have plenty for a dell ultrasharp 27", now i could elect not to buy one of those pc's and get another screen for some serious real estate.
value for money.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:48 am

aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:
...your abundance of ignorance...

to address this statement with some simple facts:

you are 17 years old… meaning you were born around the mid 90's…

at that point when you were pooing in your diapers i have:

- been working on the mac for nearly 10 years
- been working on silicon graphics hardware for 5 years
- been working on NeXT for 5 years
- been working with PC's for 5 years
- been working with HP unix for 5 years
- been having fun with amiga's for 10 years

since then i have:

- been working on the mac for another 17 years… now totaling 27 years of mac experience.
- dropped the PC about 10 years ago… (can dual boot my macs in windows or use Parallel Desktop if absolutely needed)
- dropped silicon graphics more than 10 years ago
- dropped NeXT for more than 10 years ago
- dropped linux about 10 years ago (can use Parallel Desktop if absolutely needed)
- dropped HP unix for more than 10 years ago
- dropped amiga after the hardware died…

and why did i drop all those others?

simple… Mac OS X… a very well informed decision i made. probably more informed that you will ever have a chance to make, i think.

do you have any clue what ignorance means or is?

Well there's your problem, you've barely used Windows in 10 years!

Congratulations on being old, that is quite an accomplishment. I am happy for you. But, since there is no correlation between numbers of years alive and amount of knowledge, that is completely irrelevant to the debate. For example, I have learned more about linguistics in 3 years, on my own I might add, than many people in their 30's or 40's that took courses in university/college.

Quote:
probably more informed that you will ever have a chance to make, i think.

Coming from a person that knows nothing about me personally, and can use neither proper capitalization nor grammar, I find that hard to believe.

Yes, I am well aware of its definition. I shall quote both the Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster, the two most respected makers of dictionaries for English in the world; hopefully they will be sufficient for you. And yes, I knew the definition long before citing these.

Merriam-Webster wrote:
the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

OED wrote:
the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

aspi-rant wrote:

to sum up your facepalming logic:

being a hipster is bad… because they are better educated and earn more money.

well. that explains why a PC fits you better, i guess. :roll:

carry on, lead, carry on.

Ignoring your thinly-disguised insult, no, they only believe they are those things. They are desperately trying to stand out from everyone else, when actually they make fools of themselves and turn into the "conformists" they say they're distancing themselves from.

Last edited by dunbots on 18 Jul 2011, 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:49 am

dunbots wrote:
The most facepalm-worthy quote: "Mac people are 13% more likely than PC people to say they want to be 'perceived as unique and different to make my own mark."

i see you added a little more while i was writing... :wink:

if that was the most facepalm-worthy quote you could find, than you have strange priorities… but that's okay.

have you ever owned some of this hardware you call "overpriced crap"?

have you any clue what silicon graphics iris, onyx, indigo and O2 hardware would have cost you in the 90's?

do you think that is "overpriced crap" too?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:59 am

aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:

i see you added a little more while i was writing... :wink:

if that was the most facepalm-worthy quote you could find, than you have strange priorities… but that's okay.

have you ever owned some of this hardware you call "overpriced crap"?

have you any clue what silicon graphics iris, onyx, indigo and O2 hardware would have cost you in the 90's?

do you think that is "overpriced crap" too?

Yes, I was obviously trying to undermine you by secretly adding to my post. :roll: No, I just forgot to say that and added it in after I had already submitted my post.

Yes, in the past I had an iMac G3, and my step-dad has both a Macbook and Intel iMac, both of which I've had the displeasure of using.

Yes, in the past computer parts cost a lot more money than today, but this debate is about Macs as a status symbol, not the price of obsolete computer hardware.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:06 am

Oodain wrote:
it's just like bang and olufsen you pay for the extra polish, software and hardware wise.
this also means that official development is slower and that they work with singular hardware standards for a long time.
of course with the hardware today that wont matter to most users.

none is better than the other they have their pro's and cons,

i would love a hackintosh for image editing but there is more and more open source alternatives to the popular mac software.
as for where my money goes, i enjoy gaming, and OC'ing and do both some modelling and simulation) so needless to say i have win 7 as my primary pc, it allows me ease of use while working with many different kinds of programs and a hardware setup that would put all but the most expensive macs to shame (i have a better gfx card than the one in their top line mac desktop and a similar processor except the top one as well, soon to change)

i could literally have 2 of these pc's for the price of a mac with similar specs and i would still have plenty for a dell ultrasharp 27", now i could elect not to buy one of those pc's and get another screen for some serious real estate.
value for money.

i highlighted something… in my case 3D... :wink:

that's why the PCs were ditched…………. they weren't up to the task needed to be solved. by a long shot.

hence the insane demanding hardware and software i was fortunate to use at that time.

10 years ago things chanced (apple going RISC and UNIX)… it all could be done cheaper on the mac. way cheaper. at a bargain price. and trust me…. the PC's couldn't. by a long shot.

do you know anything about color? true color? and the insane management thereof? no? then why do you assume that the only spec interesting is gfx cards and screensize? they are secondary to the software managing colors…. and the PC is simply not geared to that out of the box… and THAT is one of the simple reasons why the medias mostly use mac…. when they make informed decisions not solely based on price.

you will learn that when you really try to match spec for spec (hardware and software!)… a PC will cost about the same as a mac.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:21 am

dunbots wrote:
Yes, I was obviously trying to undermine you by secretly adding to my post. :roll: No, I just forgot to say that and added it in after I had already submitted my post.

that's okay… and that's why i addressed it separately… no need for paranoia.

dunbots wrote:
Yes, in the past I had an iMac G3, and my step-dad has both a Macbook and Intel iMac, both of which I've had the displeasure of using.

G3 = nearly 15 years old tech…. you were two years old back then…

and what - if i may ask - did you try to use it for?

dunbots wrote:
Yes, in the past computer parts cost a lot more money than today, but this debate is about Macs as a status symbol, not the price of obsolete computer hardware.

it is your personal opinion that macs are bought by hipsters…. as a status symbol…

that has nothing to do with mac being better or not than other platforms…

i am certainly not a hipster :lol: … i have used insane fortunes on many platforms to do my work and make a living and get the job done…….. and i still choose and prefer a mac above anything else… because it gets the job done… and no other platform can do that in the same easy and reliable way as the mac in my opinion - based on my past experiences…. and years and years of expertise...

to address the assumption that i haven't used windows a long time:

wrong. i HAVE to use it rather often unfortunately, because i still have to deal with rather uniformed PC users who are not able to deliver data that is not platform dependable… so i have to do their jobs too sometimes… so i can do mine.

i also give lectures at universities for design and architecture, where they sometimes still work on arcane PC's….. and then i have to adapt.

EDIT:

i forgot:

back then PC's were cheap too… so why didn't we skip the "expensive crap" and used PC's back then?

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:44 am

dunbots wrote:
Coming from a person that knows nothing about me personally, and can use neither proper capitalization nor grammar, I find that hard to believe.

being used to systems that were very picky about capitalization in file-naming and passwords… i dropped that in the midt 90's… and use my own writing scheme so i don't mess up in critical data…

grammar slips happen all the time… even for native americans… so i guess i am excused being born and raised and educated in holland, moved and studied in denmark… and now teach about my field of expertise mostly in danish… and communicate in danish, dutch and english on a daily basis… sorry to mess up once in a while. :roll:

i am glad that nobody was looking at einstein and others like that, and judged their knowledge and expertise solely on his lack of proper capitalizations and grammar…. or even his pronunciations in english.

my, oh my. :roll: