Automatically opened text message with no record

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AudibleSilence
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2011, 8:21 pm

Ah, I haven't been here in a while...

Anyhow

I have about three people that text me regulary, a special ed girl that NEVER replies, but always says hi and good night, a girl from school, and my best friend, so one more text while I'm trying not to squash the head of an almost escapee crested gecko... Gecko's gotta go back to his cage first.
When I do check my phone, the text message is already open, first tip off. I'm 99% sure I didn't leave the cage door open with a half escaped gecko to check my phone and open the text message. 1% for the fact that mind blanks out occasionaly.
2nd thing, the number it's from looks like an email, 113.... lots of 1s, 3s, 4s, and 6s. The message looked like a long, very long, I.P address. Before I could copy anything down the message disappears, so I went to my inbox to chase it down... the latest one is from the special ed girl.
It's not in the out box, or drafts, or even floating around the menu. Just gone.
I'm not an expertise on phones, so does anyone know if there's some hidden folder I can access without having to connect it to the computer? If this is a virus, I don't want to be on the receiving end of two very irritable parents when they have to buy another CPU, despite the fact the first two times the computer crashed and burned were because of some very troubling widgets that were on my mother's blog and I had nothing to do with.

My phone is a Sony Ericsson by AT&T. They don't make the model anymore....

Has anything similar happened to anyone?

*The person you are trying to call isn't really the person you are trying to contact. Either hang up and try again to talk to one person while referring to another or hang up and never try to contact this person again.*

Koan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2011, 12:51 am

Welcome back.

That's very odd. Cell phone virii do exist, but they're extremely rare. Of those that do exist, it would be even more rare to be able to infect a different type of device (e.g. your computer). Does your phone run Java or something, like J2ME? Even if you had a multipartite cross-platform virus, it will not cook hardware, including your previous failed hardware. With virtually no exceptions, software can't damage hardware like that so it must have been something else. But all of that amounts to good news. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Source: Being a programmer/I.T. systems analyst since before Google existed. :wink:

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2011, 5:17 am

Probably an erroneous push/flash message sent by your service provider.

Nothing to worry about. ;)

AudibleSilence
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

I suppose I'll ignore it for the time being.
If the phone ever does get hit with a virus, I'll frame it up and gloat.

*The person you are trying to call isn't really the person you are trying to contact. Either hang up and try again to talk to one person while referring to another or hang up and never try to contact this person again.*