Administrator

20 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Quantum Levitation:
http://www.webpronews.com/quantum-levit ... nd-2011-10

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

Ooohh!! I want that! But seriously high temperature superconductors will radically change many industries.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

Isn't it great? :bounce:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C.C.

Very cool. I wonder what determines/limits the strength of the pinning (the amount of weight it can support).

I bet they could make a little money offering kits (the disks) to hobbyists. :D

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

i had seen it in a documentary before but they never explained the method,
absolutely brilliant in its simplicity, now where do i find yttrium barium copper oxide?

//edit
my local lab supplier carries 10g bottles of powder, price is around 200 dollars,
more reading is needed

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

mileyshadglands
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

Cool

xowe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

Cool indeed... Liquid nitrogen cool!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

F*** YEAH!

Please excuse my profanity, but I feel that my enthusiasm is totally necessary.

Now, the question is, is the quantum flux strong enough to hold it in place as it orbits around at near light speed?

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

Can someone hurry up and figure out how these high-temperature superconductors work in the first place? That way we can actually go out and build a room-temperature superconductor (if they're possible) rather than guessing randomly for one. I want my high-speed maglev trains (it would make the 4 hour drive home from university so much easier!)

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2011, 11:16 pm

That is pretty cool stuff. I'm trying to understand why there's no interaction when they put two of them on the track and they pass above/below each other. Can anyone explain it?

Quote:
my local lab supplier carries 10g bottles of powder, price is around 200 dollars,
Considering you only need a 1 micron thickness you should be able to make around 400, 5cm diameter discs with that.

I'd love to do some superconductor experiments. But first I need to build myself one of these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14B8LynojI4[/youtube]

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Oct 2011, 11:44 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
I'm trying to understand why there's no interaction when they put two of them on the track and they pass above/below each other. Can anyone explain it?
Hmm, probably not - but looking at the diagram (on the "let the real scientists" link) showing the flux tubes, it seems like they just line up over each other and form a double-layered, two-part flux tube - like how a bundle of drinking straws lined up end-to-end with another bundle would just pass an airflow straight through, if they were close enough together.
I suppose there is some loss, but not enough to cause things to fail so nothing much happens: the disks just quietly pass each other. They're kind-of transparent.

Is that in the right area? :chin:

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2011, 12:42 am

Cornflake wrote:
like how a bundle of drinking straws lined up end-to-end with another bundle would just pass an airflow straight through, if they were close enough together.
That's sort of what I was thinking. But since the flux tubes are "fixed" in the irregularities, you would think the ones from the bottom disc are moving with it. But wouldn't that create a changing field that the above disc is passing through? I expected the bottom disc would somehow "drag" the top one. Or lower the "levitation force" it receives. Then again, I guess they channel the magnetic flux without loss just like with electricity?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Oct 2011, 1:06 am

HalibutSandwich wrote:
I expected the bottom disc would somehow "drag" the top one. Or lower the "levitation force" it receives. Then again, I guess they channel the magnetic flux without loss just like with electricity?
Yes. I thought of it more like light streaming through and TBH, hadn't really thought about a drag effect because of that.
The "lift" is still present because the magnetism from the track is "flowing" unimpeded right through the lower disk into the upper.
When the additional magnets were placed on the track the disk visibly went over a speed bump because of the change in the field, so if there was a field change on one disk caused by the other, it's apparently very small.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2011, 1:54 am

Well then it does seem like these flux tubes channel the magnetic flux through without loss. If that is true then wouldn't it be possible to stack several of these above each other and they'd all levitate above one another? I'd like to see a demonstration of that. What I'm wondering is if you could make some sort of magnetic lens by decreasing the diameter of consecutive discs and still have the entire magnetic flux travel through them.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
Well then it does seem like these flux tubes channel the magnetic flux through without loss. If that is true then wouldn't it be possible to stack several of these above each other and they'd all levitate above one another? I'd like to see a demonstration of that. What I'm wondering is if you could make some sort of magnetic lens by decreasing the diameter of consecutive discs and still have the entire magnetic flux travel through them.

Inverse square law predicts a drop in field strength. It can only go so high. If you use an electromagnet the properties would still hold dependent on the strength of the electromagnet. But at some point you'd have to start removing all the metal objects from the room. :)

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 5:22 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
That is pretty cool stuff. I'm trying to understand why there's no interaction when they put two of them on the track and they pass above/below each other. Can anyone explain it?

Quote:
Considering you only need a 1 micron thickness you should be able to make around 400, 5cm diameter discs with that.

I'd love to do some superconductor experiments. But first I need to build myself one of these:

first of all i would need access to a press powerfull and precise enough to condense the powder and then apply heat for sintering,
fortunately i am still on very good terms with my old boss at a mold making company for injection moulding, they also do test runs and their injection moulders can press some 500t, it also allows for heating up to 350 degrees of the mold but i dont know if thats enough, i imagine not, maybe the heat can be applied afterwards.

i pay insanely low rates (usually favors in the form of it work) to borrow his cnc machines, usually i also buy stock metal from him, downside is i have to go across the country, sometimes i pay and he then ships the parts a couple fo days later, they have a stock feeder so its a simple queue question.

i imagine it would be easier to just buy the liwuid nitrogen, though i suppose cryogenics would require a whole new level of training.
it can be insanely dangerous.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.