Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:30 pm

Please provide a list of recommended, secure e-mail services for residential accounts that are available with monthly or annual subscription fees. I’m concerned about recent news reports of hacking personal e-mail accounts offered by different vendors.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 6:52 pm

Gmail seems alight but if you want you can use one from your ISP, any decent one should provide an email service.

I use gmail and I don't have a problem, which ones are you worried about security and I'll name others.

Create a password that is at least 25 characters long that is a random string of numbers and letters with special characters. That is best thing you can do to prevent hacking though its hard to memorize. My password is closer to around 50 characters and maybe even more, I am not saying.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:04 pm

StartMail.com ( https://www.startmail.com/ ) is a subscription e-mail service from the Netherlands where investigating an account must be ordered by a Dutch court of law, not a request by the United States or another nation. The service was created by the makers of the Internet search engine StartPage.com ( https://www.startpage.com/ ). The annual StartMail.com subscription price is $59.95 US. It is considered one of the planet's most secure e-mail services.

If you are knowledgeable enough to send and receive encrypted messages, StartMail.com makes it very easy by creating key pairs and even embedding public keys within each message's signature.

As dcj123 has written, using a long, complex password is important. NSA leaker Edward Snowden uses passwords that he can't even remember (but knows where to find them). So, if you choose the complex password method, use Strong Password Generator ( https://strongpasswordgenerator.com/ ) and plan to keep a list of your accounts and passwords within a text file which you save on your computer away from the browser, and print out as a backup.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:11 pm

Hardware encryption keys can be an option too but you kind of have to be a nerd to make one.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Hardware encryption keys can be an option too but you kind of have to be a nerd to make one.

I know only enough about encryption/decryption to be a digital danger to myself.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)