Page 1 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

ok so im usually ok with windows, but i just got a computer that runs windows 7.
my opinion: it's glitchy, hard to use, the windows minimize to easily, and its just plain annoying. it's like all they cared about was how pretty it looked, not whether or not it actually works well. what do you guys think?
note: i'm not a computer geek but i do have enough experience with computers to know how to use them, and windows 7 is just a pain in the arse

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

I like windows 7. I like XP too. I don't find either difficult to use.

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2011, 2:29 pm

I've tried to fix my Windows 7 as much as possible, but it still won't let my drag things off the screen without trying to maximize them... got rid of the new paint because the XP version's awesome

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

I dislike vista and windows 7 with a perfect hatred, I dislike the changes in the man machine interface. The older versions of windows had a better search for a file feature.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

I happily discarded my old XP box for Vista in 2007, only to find that Vista is unstable and doesn't work well. My dad raves about Windows 7, so when I get some money coming in I will buy a laptop with 7.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 3:27 pm

win 7 is as good as xp and better in some ways,

there are things that are different but give it a little time.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

Don't park your mouse cursor in the lower right corner when getting it out of the way. That makes everything (temporarily) minimize.

Getting used to that feature is the only issue I've had with Windows 7, since that's where I'd put the mouse cursor when getting it out the way (like when typing).

snpeden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2011, 4:19 pm

I actually like Windows 7 okay, but that's probably because I originally thought my desktop would have to come with Vista.
I know what you mean though...I really want my computer to do exactly what I tell it to do. Who decided all these arbitrary "features" are necessary? Who decided it was normal for one swipe of the mouse to send things careening off in ten different directions? I already knew how to minimize a window, stop changing the rules on me.
Boyfriend has an iMac. I can't even use it most of the time, all the weird unasked-for features make it an impossible nightmare.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

I think Windows 7 is great on my desktop PC. I much prefer it over Windows XP, which is what I'd been using prior. I wouldn't recommend it for low powered devices such as netbooks though.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:18 pm

snpeden wrote:
I actually like Windows 7 okay, but that's probably because I originally thought my desktop would have to come with Vista.
I know what you mean though...I really want my computer to do exactly what I tell it to do. Who decided all these arbitrary "features" are necessary? Who decided it was normal for one swipe of the mouse to send things careening off in ten different directions? I already knew how to minimize a window, stop changing the rules on me.
Boyfriend has an iMac. I can't even use it most of the time, all the weird unasked-for features make it an impossible nightmare.

most fancy features can be turned off,

i deactivated user account control and a host of other processes that did nothing but anoy me,

it is different from the linux mentality where the minimal is preinstalled thats for sure.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

anonymous-shyster
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2011, 3:59 am

Let FreeBSD serve your needs.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 5:05 pm

anonymous-shyster wrote:
Let FreeBSD serve your needs.

Lots of luck with that :)

As for Win7, it's a lot more tolerable for me to use if you either switch to the Windows Classic theme, or just disable the Windows Theme'ing service. (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services). This was also true for Windows XP.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

W7 is bloatware, a resource hog, way too complicated for any but expert users. XP is fine for most PC'ers. XP would run find on a low-powered celeron with <2gb slow ram, but W7 [microsoft will never admit this] REQUIRES a pentium or AMD equivalent with at least 4 gb of advanced fast RAM, and a fast hard drive. i am no expert, this is what my computer fix-it guy told me when i asked him why my celeron is such a sluggish paperweight. he told me i shoulda saved my pennies for a few more years to buy an expensive but worth-it pentium running W7, or find an old XP machine- the latter option is closed to me because my local ISP monopoly [msn via centurylink, who else?] REQUIRES W7, or nothing.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 6:57 pm

Oodain wrote:
it is different from the linux mentality where the minimal is preinstalled thats for sure.

I have never encountered a mainstream Linux distro that defaulted to less stuff preinstalled for you than what Windows has. This includes Debian, which comes by default with a full office suite, web browsers, e-mail client, photo editor, video/audio players, programming environment, etc ad nauseam. The default Windows install includes IE and solitaire... that's about it.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 7:16 pm

Orwell wrote:
Oodain wrote:

I have never encountered a mainstream Linux distro that defaulted to less stuff preinstalled for you than what Windows has. This includes Debian, which comes by default with a full office suite, web browsers, e-mail client, photo editor, video/audio players, programming environment, etc ad nauseam. The default Windows install includes IE and solitaire... that's about it.

What Oodain means I think is that the visual features in most linux distros start out at a minimum in terms of effects and features in the OS when installed. In terms of application software, there might be more on Linux than Windows, but I do find that generally Windows has more useless stuff preinstalled than Linux.

I didn't mind Windows 7. It was a lot better than Vista. XP is still the best version of Windows in my opinion. If you really hate Windows 7 you could try switching to Linux, but be warned: it is not for the faint of heart. There can be a lot of frigginess. And in my mind the default setup in a lot of new distro versions is not ideal. But maybe that's just because I'm used to the older setup.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2011, 8:21 pm

Linux comes with tools installed ready to get you started, no need for additional software as with windows, the problem is that there is so many different choices of distributions that for the average user would not even know where to start. People want to be able to turn on their machine and click and go.

Linux is a lot more secure than windows as it is not mainstream operating system, I think Linux should stay as an OS for geeks and aspies like myself