Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 12:20 am

I am trying to figure out how to go about setting up an e-mail account for an organization I am contributing to. There originally was an email account set up by the previous board members. However, they have left the board and I have been trying to access them about the password to no avail. There is more story to this but it's complicated and slightly confidential.

Anyway, now for the more technical bits.

Once I started working with them, I was provided with the access info for the website administration portal. The website is set up in Joomla ver. 1.5.22. In the system info, the old email is listed as the default email address in the configuration file. I have taken a quick glance at a couple of tutorials/manuals and it appears to me that the only way I could change the information in the configuration file is to set up the entire website anew. That seems like a huge pain to undergo, unless there is a way to store all of the previously created website content, including the plugins and the extensions, onto my hard drive and then transfer them back. So my question is whether there is a way I could possibly solve this problem, whether it be changing the configuration file through the Internet browser alone or whether it be with renewal of the entire setup provided that I could keep all of the old website data intact.

An additional concern is related to the email part. If I create a new email, it would be ideal to be able to create it internally (on the website's domain). I have absolutely no idea how to do that and can't find anything online that's of much help. If not, I've been questioning as to which web mail provider I should go with whose domain looks more professional. The previous account was on Gmail and I would have liked to use that again, but it seems that now I have to create an entire Google account in order to make a Gmail account. And I don't really feel like doing that provided that all that's needed for our organization is a simple mail client where we can send and receive mail.

Sorry for the long message. If someone could help with this, that would be amazing. I have been struggling with trying to resolve these issues for weeks now. And I don't really feel like posting on forums full of cranky NTs anymore.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.