Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 10:06 am

Here is a short list of stupid questions related to science. Can you come up with logically-sounding answers that make even less sense than the questions? Enjoy!

• Before light bulbs were invented, how did people get ideas?

• Coconuts have hair and produce milk, so why aren't they classified as mammals?

• Do strippers in the southern hemisphere spin around their poles in the opposite direction as strippers in the northern hemisphere?

• Does it take 18 months for twins to be born?

• How can we trust atoms if they make up everything?

• How did the Thesaurus survive the dinosaur extinction?

• How do bipolar people manage to be on both sides of the Earth at once?

• How is Mercury a liquid at room temperature, yet a large solid when orbiting close to the Sun.

• I just found out I am bipolar. Should I avoid magnets?

• If a circle is 360 degrees, why can't I cook food in one?

• If electricity always follows the path of least resistance, why doesn't lightning only strike in France?

• If I get laser eye surgery, will I be able to shoot laser beams out of my eyes?

• If I heat my solid-state hard drive until it becomes a vapor, would that enable cloud computing on my PC?

• If ice floats, then why is Antarctica at the bottom of the Earth?

• If oxygen was discovered in 1783 by Antoine Lavoisier, how did people breathe before then?

• If Pi is never ending, why is there still world hunger?

• If setting off nukes creates "nuclear winters", why don't we set off a few nukes to offset global warming?

• If sound can't travel through vacuums, why are vacuum cleaners so loud?

• If there's a new moon every month. Where does the old one go?

• Is a First-Degree Murder committed in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

• Is infertility hereditary?

• The instructions on my pizza say, "Bake for 18-21 minutes". How do I bake something for -3 minutes?

• They told me I got a B+ on my blood test. Can I get a study guide to help me score higher next time?

• What is the speed of dark?

• Why do meteors always land in craters?

• Why don't we try and land on the sun at night?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 1:21 am

Fnord wrote:
• Why do meteors always land in craters?

It's a health and safety issue. If meteors were allowed to land just anywhere they could cause lots of damage and injuries. The deeper the crater the less risk there is to surrounding areas although digging deep craters is obviously a lot more expensive than digging shallow ones so the deepest craters are reserved for the largest meteors.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 10:31 am

Fnord wrote:
Coconuts have hair and produce milk, so why aren't they classified as mammals?

Because the flesh is white rather than red, so they're properly classified as poultry.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 10:51 am

Fnord wrote:
What is the speed of dark?

The scientific study of "dark matter" and "dark energy" is not well developed enough to say for sure yet. However, early experiments using long optical fibres to carry hate-speech, fake-news, and prejudicial stereotypes suggest that darkness may travel considerably faster than light.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 10:59 am

Fnord wrote:
• Before light bulbs were invented, how did people get ideas?

That depends on the kind of idea. Writers send a cheque and self-addressed envelope to a post box in Shenectady. Grifters pull them out of their backside. Still do, actually. Light bulbs were invented to provide ideas to engineers and scientists, who got fed up with striking flints. The technology was licensed to the general public only in 1903.

Fnord wrote:
• Coconuts have hair and produce milk, so why aren't they classified as mammals?

Because they're fungi, and mammalian excretions were named after the milk that flows out of some mushrooms when you break them. Also, fungal mycelium made hair-like structures long before mammals evolved, so the fungal claim has priority under patent law.

Fnord wrote:
• How did the Thesaurus survive the dinosaur extinction?

Because it's not just any kind of dinosaur, it's a bird, and survived same as the other birds.

Fnord wrote:
• If a circle is 360 degrees, why can't I cook food in one?

Because a circle isn't 360 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit, but Trubelmacher. 360 degrees Trubelmacher is only 59.73 degrees Kelvin, below the melting point of nitrogen.

Fnord wrote:
• If ice floats, then why is Antarctica at the bottom of the Earth?

It isn't. It's on the left. The story that it's on the bottom is misinformation put out by Big Ice to maintain their monopoly.

Fnord wrote:
• If oxygen was discovered in 1783 by Antoine Lavoisier, how did people breathe before then?

Through snorkels. Snorkels let you breathe where there is no oxygen.

Fnord wrote:
• If setting off nukes creates "nuclear winters", why don't we set off a few nukes to offset global warming?

That is the Dubya plan. It hasn't been implemented yet because they are still fighting over who gets to press the big, red button.

Fnord wrote:
• Is a First-Degree Murder committed in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Trubelmacher.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 11:37 am

Fnord wrote:
Do strippers in the southern hemisphere spin around their poles in the opposite direction as strippers in the northern hemisphere?

It is well known that the apparent movement of strippers around poles is caused by the Coriolis effect. In the northern hemisphere this results in strippers being deflected to the right following the motion. In the southern hemisphere the opposite is true. As Coriolis effectively vanishes at the equator you know where not to go if you want to watch strippers spinning around poles.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 12:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
If setting off nukes creates "nuclear winters", why don't we set off a few nukes to offset global warming?

The official reason is that increased radioactivity would lead to a rapid increase in the devastation wrought by kaiju attacks. Of course, many "deniers" believe that this threat is exaggerated, and part of a conspiracy by powerful people who see mutant humans with super-powers as a threat to their dominance.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 2:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
If electricity always follows the path of least resistance, why doesn't lightning only strike in France?

It's a little known fact that the French underground resistance movement (or "Maquis", to use their proper name) famous for their brave guerrilla actions against occupying Nazi forces during WWII, has actually existed ever since Benjamin Franklin, famed for his experiments with lightning, was the American ambassador to France. He realised that the constant thunderstorms in France might be depriving the rest of the world of quality champagne, but knowing as he did how touchy the French can be about their viticulture, couldn't make any deal public. Thanks to his intervention behind the scenes, US and British meteorologists have been making secret air-drops to Maquis cells in France ever since. The misconception that the word "resistance" refers to the Maquis' paramilitary actions, rather than their work increasing the electrical resistance of the French atmosphere by releasing fromagion particles from their notoriously noxious cheeses, was WWII Allied propaganda intended to throw Nazi counter-insurgency operations off the scent.

ThinkipadX230
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2019, 7:59 pm

Mammals (from Latin mamma "breast") are vertebrate animals constituting the class Mammalia (/məˈmeɪliə/), and characterized by the presence of mammary glands which in females produce milk for feeding (nursing) their young, a neocortex (a region of the brain), fur or hair, and three middle ear bones.(from wiki)

Coconut do not have vertebrate and mammary glands, the 'milk' is not produced for feeding. After, it is a plant not animal.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 9:18 pm

ThinkipadX230 wrote:
Mammals (from Latin mamma "breast") are vertebrate animals constituting the class Mammalia (/məˈmeɪliə/), and characterized by the presence of mammary glands which in females produce milk for feeding (nursing) their young, a neocortex (a region of the brain), fur or hair, and three middle ear bones.(from wiki)

Coconut do not have vertebrate and mammary glands, the 'milk' is not produced for feeding. After, it is a plant not animal.

That's exactly what they WANT ya' to believe!

As long as you're blind to the truth that palm trees are mammals they will have you in the...PALM of their hands!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

Its not "the speed of dark".

There is the "speed of light"

and there is the "speed of sound".

What folks don't know is that there is also "the speed of smell"!

Just like there is a light barrier, and a sound barrier, there is also a "smell barrier".

The light barrier is 186 thousand miles a second. The sound barrier is about 760 miles per HOUR.

Similarly smell travels at a set speed. A speed of about three miles an hour (a walking pace). Three miles per hour is the "smell barrier".

Skunks instinctively exploit this by running away from the targets of their olfactory attacks at over three miles per hour. This causes the olfactory equivalent of a "sonic boom". If you're a human hunter after a skunk you get hit by their smell as one big shock wave (the smell boom) that leaves even more stunned than you would be otherwise!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 1:10 am

This is a good thread. Shall I add a couple to the list? :lol:

• Before Issac Newton discovered gravity, was everything just floating around?

• Was the whole world black and white before coloured cameras were invented?

• Before light bulbs were invented, how did people see?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 1:59 am

ThinkipadX230 wrote:

Why are you named after my laptop?