Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 5:14 pm

Hey!
Im trying to transfer a 1.2 GB file over my network. But it runs mega slow wifi or not. 200 Kbps is its max speed and thats with no one doing anything on the network.
The two machines specs:
Computer I am downloading the file to via LAN:
i5 Sandy bridge: 2.5 Ghz Quad
4GB Ram

Computer thats hosting the file over my LAN:
Phenom I x4 @ 3.2 Ghz
3Gb Ram

I dont understand why the LAN transfer speeds are so slow. I have made sure that its downloading from an internal IP which it is.
Im using a Belkin 54G as my router.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

Are one or both PC's doing this transfer over wifi?

Definitely should be much faster if both are using wired NICs in a switched environment, which should be independent of other LAN or LAN->WAN based traffic..

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 11:37 pm

Connect both machines via a crossover cable, and re-run your transfer test. It certainly sounds like your router/switch can't keep up with your network needs.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 6:27 am

Trouble is though, I wanna stream too :( .
I get the same result on either wired or wireless.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:05 am

What operating systems are on the machines and how exactly are you trying to transfer the file?

Ever since Vista windows boxes have often had horrible problems negotiating fast transfers, with the horrible speed you are getting it sounds more like an OS problem than a router problem, no router is that slow...

If you want to tell easily if it's an OS problem, boot both machines off linux live CD's and see what the transfer speed is like.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:07 am

DC wrote:
What operating systems are on the machines and how exactly are you trying to transfer the file?

Ever since Vista windows boxes have often had horrible problems negotiating fast transfers, with the horrible speed you are getting it sounds more like an OS problem than a router problem, no router is that slow...

If you want to tell easily if it's an OS problem, boot both machines off linux live CD's and see what the transfer speed is like.

I also get this issue with streaming.
One is running Linux one is running OSX.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:14 am

Or this?

http://www.techkaki.com/2010/12/slow-sa ... -mac-os-x/

If those don't help, try disabling IPv6 on both machines.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

I'd give those links a shot as well, too.
You could also attempt to utilize another protocol such as FTP to ensure that the issue is at the application layer versus one of the lower OSI layers.

Also, more for general reference that the LAN ports on consumer-grade routers are actually an integrated switch. LAN transfers are, as a result, independent of the router's CPU and should be able to sustain 100 mbit for that particular model.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 3:02 pm

beers wrote:
I'd give those links a shot as well, too.
You could also attempt to utilize another protocol such as FTP to ensure that the issue is at the application layer versus one of the lower OSI layers.

Also, more for general reference that the LAN ports on consumer-grade routers are actually an integrated switch. LAN transfers are, as a result, independent of the router's CPU and should be able to sustain 100 mbit for that particular model.

They're independent of the *router's* cpu, but NOT the switch fabric. I've seen plenty of overloaded home router/switches completely fall over.