Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

The past couple of days, it seems as though someone has been trying to bypass my system passwards. Today, someone tried to reset the password to my second system on this computer, and several times before that someone had seemingly tried to guess what it was.
Today, just a couple of hours ago, actually, on the system I rarely use, there was some sort of... thing up. It said it was Ease of Access, or something? I know I didn't do it, and no one in my house wants on my computer because it is outdated and boring.
I'm just sort of freaked out right now, and I am completely ignorant about computers, so I figured I could ask here, where there are bound to be technologically gifted people who could possibly help.
So, am I being hacked? And if so, what should I do?
(Sorry I'm so helpless :oops: )

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 1:05 am

Ease of Access is an accessibilty feature built into all modern windows operating systems, you probably clicked on the little button in the bottom left hand corner of the login screen by accident.

How do you know someone has been 'trying to bypass my system passwords'?
How do you know that someone tried to reset your password?
How do you know that someone tried to guess your password?

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 1:42 am

DC wrote:
Ease of Access is an accessibilty feature built into all modern windows operating systems, you probably clicked on the little button in the bottom left hand corner of the login screen by accident.

How do you know someone has been 'trying to bypass my system passwords'?
How do you know that someone tried to reset your password?
How do you know that someone tried to guess your password?

Well, I don't really know, thats why I'm asking. I never use the system that it appears someone is trying to get in through, and it is never up, or open, but the password is simple and the hint says just that. Several times, I have walked away from my computer (After locking my personal system), and when I come back, the display for my personal system is no longer up, but the other one is, and things were typed into it (Though it was not the actual password).
Today someone had tried to again, the same way, except the Ease of Access was up as well, and a few other boxs, though I don't know what they were.
Like I said, I don't know anything about computers, so I don't know whether I am being hacked or not, or whether someone is trying to do it mannually or remotely.
I'm sorry I can't be more specific :oops: :(
Oh, but I do have a two year old baby I take care of during the day. If I left my laptop open, could she have done it by pressing random buttons? :?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:13 am

AutisticBelle wrote:

I never use the system that it appears someone is trying to get in through, and it is never up, or open, but the password is simple and the hint says just that.

Why is this computer turned on if you never use it,
where is this computer (home, dorm room, school, work etc),
where is it from (did you buy it new from a shop, get given it by work or school etc)
is it connected to the internet?

Quote:
Several times, I have walked away from my computer (After locking my personal system), and when I come back, the display for my personal system is no longer up,

Is this your laptop and when you say the display is no longer up do you mean that screen goes black? If so then that is just the normal power saving feature turning off the screen while the computer is not in use to save energy.

Quote:
but the other one is, and things were typed into it (Though it was not the actual password).
Today someone had tried to again, the same way, except the Ease of Access was up as well, and a few other boxs, though I don't know what they were.
Like I said, I don't know anything about computers, so I don't know whether I am being hacked or not, or whether someone is trying to do it mannually or remotely.

There is software that could allow someone to do this remotely but they would have already needed administrator access to your computer to install the software. Which means it is very unlikely that someone is remotely trying to hack your account as they could do whatever they wanted to do with the admin access they already had.

Quote:
I'm sorry I can't be more specific :oops: :(
Oh, but I do have a two year old baby I take care of during the day. If I left my laptop open, could she have done it by pressing random buttons? :?

Yes, that is quite likely.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 2:41 am

Oh, I use the computer, every day in fact. Its just the second system I never use. Its there so that if a friend or family member wants on my computer they can't just waltz onto my projects, journals, Ect.
I got the computer new, from Best Buy, about five years ago. Like I said, its old and outdated, but I'm attached to it. :D
And the screen does to turn black, but when I come back and jiggle the mouse, it no longer shows the page for my system, but for the other one.
And thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I feel a lot better now.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:52 am

AutisticBelle wrote:
And the screen does to turn black, but when I come back and jiggle the mouse, it no longer shows the page for my system, but for the other one.

I am a bit confused by what you mean by this, do you have remote access software installed so that you can use one computer from the other computer?

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 2:59 am

Recently I posted an opinion on yahoo, well every comment I tried to post was censored I believe, except for the one mentioning being censored. Then, I tried to post, my ipad not only logged off, shut itself off, but powered down. It may have been due to low battery but it's never done this before/refreshed itself. I also found random words interlaced in a video I was making, you know, like you type in a dialogue box and suddenly there were comments made on my video that said "You are a good girl." to one video. Then, "This" to a funny picture, like adlibs, it was freaky as all hell! The only possible solution is that we're living in the matrix and the world is more elusive than it appears, or contrarily the Ipad is extremely hackable by authorities or hackers? The odd thing of having words themselves being typed for you, indeed is scary. Most likely remote access and not the matrix, but I mean within a Imovie? Really? I didn't type "you're a good girl" maybe it was a gltch. For a long period of time before I became ill, I had this happen ?????????! ! to a lot of my posts at the end. Before this instance happened I saw &then&then&....

Kinda odd.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 3:01 am

DC wrote:
AutisticBelle wrote:

I am a bit confused by what you mean by this, do you have remote access software installed so that you can use one computer from the other computer?

:? ?
I'm confusing myself and everyone else! :cry:
No, I don't mean that. On my laptop, you can set up things called Accounts, so that two or more people can share the same computer with a reletive degree of privacy. Its all on one computer, and documents or files made on one account can only be accessed on that account, but Browsing history and online accounts show up on all of them. I have always been around peopled who call these acounts "Systems". Is that incorrect? :? When I was younger we had a computer with five different accounts, which everyone always called "systems". :oops:
I'm so sorry I'm confusing you so much, when you've been nothing but helpful. I feel so stupid. My stengths are towards words and drawing, not technology :cry:

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 3:04 am

Belle,
I think you're saying "Is it a shared network?" with different users

is your family sharing the same network, or using DSL? A person or neighbor can easily hack wifi or DSL remotely/wireless internet is hackable without it having a password and firewall. I have no firewall on my ipad, but it doesn't have spyware. Basically, you can view what's on the network if you know computers. But if the person doesn't know the password, it probably isn't your family. Ask someone to put up a network firewall and encryption, this should solve it.

It also sounds like you have two operating systems, if you have Linux or similar that is also probably more hackable than Windows XP or VIsta.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 3:10 am

Oh, I didn't see the more recent reply. Well, I second DC that if you have a kid then she/he would probably be curious and trying to type in the password or mimic you at the computer. I don't think most hackers are very obvious when they hack, although random number algorithms are used in spam and password hacking to figure out the combination; don't stress about it. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 3:21 am

Kalinda wrote:
Oh, I didn't see the more recent reply. Well, I second DC that if you have a kid then she/he would probably be curious and trying to type in the password or mimic you at the computer. I don't think most hackers are very obvious when they hack, although random number algorithms are used in spam and password hacking to figure out the combination; don't stress about it. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon.

Thanks. Both you and DC are being so nice and helpful! :D
I hope it is the little one. She's a sweetheart, but she loves to get into things. And your first reply does sound more like the behavior of a hacker than mine. I'm sorry for your confusion and misfortune, but it makes me feel. (I'm so selfish :oops: :D )

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2012, 4:10 am

AutisticBelle wrote:

This is the most likely option. If someone were really trying to hack into your computer they wouldn't leave evidence as obvious as a password typed into the box... and yet not entered.
I too have a small child that loves to click on the keyboard.
To set your mind at ease: Place child in room with computer and watch what happens :P

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 4:54 am

it sounds like what is happening is this.

you leave the pc with your desktop open, then at some point it enter its power saving mode, standby or suspension depending on computer setup.

when you(or a younger curious version of you) disturb it from there it then opens with the accounts page, as it should, from a childs perspective there are 2 images and stuff happens when you click them, even more stuff happens if you mash the keyboard afterwards.

i dont know their age but if young enough something as simple as a text editor is pure magic.

as others have said it is extremely unlikely that this is actually a targeted attack, or even an attack at all.

usually it is malware that causes problms and not hacking in itself.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 5:26 am

AutisticBelle wrote:
DC wrote:
AutisticBelle wrote:

:? ?
I'm confusing myself and everyone else! :cry:
No, I don't mean that. On my laptop, you can set up things called Accounts, so that two or more people can share the same computer with a reletive degree of privacy. Its all on one computer, and documents or files made on one account can only be accessed on that account, but Browsing history and online accounts show up on all of them. I have always been around peopled who call these acounts "Systems". Is that incorrect? :? When I was younger we had a computer with five different accounts, which everyone always called "systems". :oops:
I'm so sorry I'm confusing you so much, when you've been nothing but helpful. I feel so stupid. My stengths are towards words and drawing, not technology :cry:

Sorry my fault, no need to apologise I missed that in your original post you had said 'second system on THIS computer' and I thought you were talking about having two separate computers that were both behaving strangely instead of two different accounts on the same computer...

It makes a lot more sense now! :lol:

Someone is pressing buttons on your computer while your back is turned, if the only person around is the baby that is your culprit.