Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

I currently use a 1st Gen Kindle Fire that has a TI OMAP4430 1GHz CPU and was wondering if there was any real danger to OC it to 1.2GHz? I ask this here on Wrong Planet because no-one responded to a thread I posted on XDA. Most of the Android development on the Kindle Fire 1st gen includes the OCed CPU frequency.

The 2nd Gen Kindle Fire has the same CPU (OMAP4430) and it comes stock with a Max frequency of 1.2GHz. I've heard of people OCing it to 1.3 or 1.4 but it was extremely unstable at that point. Maybe the CPU was designed initially for 1.2 but they decided to keep it at 1GHz for the first Gen?

Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain this or at least point me in the right direction for information. I Googled the question but it only brought up (that I saw) was general information on the CPU. I understand maybe OCing 500MHz or more might burn out a CPU but will a measley 200MHz be that bad?

Thanks

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2012, 1:50 pm

The idea of overclocking a tablet never occurred to me until I saw this. If no one is doing it, there must not be any real benefit. Most tablet apps don't seem CPU bound.

All I can say is I predict a glut of used 1st gen KF available next year as people get the 2nd gen KF for Christmas. So it probably won't cost you much to find out. Even if it goes up in smoke, no big deal.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 9:33 am

Be careful about over clocking any massively integrated circuit. There are heat and temperature issues.

ruveyn

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm

Thanks for the replies, I don't think it's worth the risk being that the tablet performs great even with a minimum frequency of 300MHz and Max of 800 with the conservative CPU governor. OCing tablets is now just about as common as someone OCing a PC.