Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 10:26 am

When physicists talk about the hidden dimensions to other universes they say that these dimensions are all around us. So I imagine that every point in our 3D universe provides other dimensions we could travel along if they were big enough.

But does this mean we should think of other universes as occupying the same space we are in?

I know its hard to think of these things but I want to. Any examples of how you think of it will be appreciated.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

Maybe thinking about other Universes that we will never be able to contact or go to is a waste of time.

ruveyn

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 12:56 pm

Some people presumably said something similar to Columbus in 1492.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 1:12 pm

Columbus actually accomplished something.

Unless a way is found to access alleged other universes, speculation of their existence is of practical use only to mathematicians, physicists, and science-fiction writers.

Even the term "Multiverse" was not coined by a real scientist - the term was coined in 1895 by the American philosopher and psychologist William James, who wrote books on pragmatism, psychology, educational psychology, the psychology of religious experience, and mysticism.

Not exactly a reliable source of scientific information.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

Fnord wrote:

Unless a way is found to access alleged other universes, speculation of their existence is of practical use only to mathematicians, physicists, and science-fiction writers.

Even the term "Multiverse" was not coined by a real scientist - the term was coined in 1895 by the American philosopher and psychologist William James, who wrote books on pragmatism, psychology, educational psychology, the psychology of religious experience, and mysticism.

"Hey Columbus, you're going to fall off the edge of the world."

Exploronaut
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Fnord wrote:

"Hey Columbus, you're going to fall off the edge of the world."

People did actually know that the Earth was round as a sphere. Columbus thought that it was shaped like a pear.

Cacao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2013, 3:00 pm

Clearly there must be another dimension. How else are we going to explain the odd phenomena in physics?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:05 pm

I think there is an infinite number of universes, that time is infinite and so is space. Nothing is containable and that there are corners everywhere that allow access to different universes. Every time we make a decision we turn a corner and into a new universe.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:17 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Some people presumably said something similar to Columbus in 1492.

In their case they were wrong. In my case I am right. We cannot get to or even observe these other "universes". They exist in a dimension not accessible to us.

On the other hand the earth was always spherical and one could always get from point A to to point B, even if by a round about route.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 16 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

Cacao wrote:
Clearly there must be another dimension. How else are we going to explain the odd phenomena in physics?

Inappropriate assumptions ... poor calibration ... observational bias ... falsified results ... desperation ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:31 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I think there is an infinite number of universes, that time is infinite and so is space. Nothing is containable and that there are corners everywhere that allow access to different universes. Every time we make a decision we turn a corner and into a new universe.

I'm satisfied that you expressed this as an opinion, as there is no valid empirical data to support the presumption that "... there are corners everywhere that allow access to different universes...".

Unless, of course, you can show me one that actually works on the human scale; in which case, I'll be the first in line to step through!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:00 pm

If there are more universes (no evidence so far points in this direction), then there would be no way for us to interact with them, just like there would be no way for any virtual beings in a computer with no internet to communicate with any virtual beings on another computer. Even if we could travel to a different universe, the laws of physics may be so vastly different from "our" laws of physics that you'd risk being disintegrated, instantly transformed to plasma or crushed by your own gravity.

Furthermore, as of 2013, there's no need for multiple universes to exist for us to understand this universe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm

Kurgan wrote:
... there's no need for multiple universes to exist ...

... unless you make your living as a science-fiction or fantasy writer!

:wink:

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:03 pm

Cacao wrote:

The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is entirely comprehensible. -- Albert Einstein

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

:wink:

If find no mention of the word "multiverse" or "omniverse" in my favourite sci-fi novels (Dune and The Time Machine). :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
I find no mention of the word "multiverse" or "omniverse" in my favourite sci-fi novels (Dune and The Time Machine). :)

True, but they do presume physical principles that are not accepted as valid in this universe - retrograde time travel and psionics.

Either way, the term "multiverse" is best reserved for speculative fiction, higher mathematics, and theoretical physics; and should not be bandied about as if it meant anything in other than an abstract context.