Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 2:18 pm

I hate that everything is a video now. Before, when I wanted to research alien moon bases, government false flag operations, and secret Nazi inventions, it was easy. All I'd have to do is read about it. Now everyone is like "hey bro, check out this video about the Bermuda Triangle" and I have to watch like an hour of stuff to get the same information I'd have spent 5-10 minutes reading, of course while being able to listen to music at the same time if I'm reading. I say the conspiracy type stuff somewhat in jest, but seriously, I hate videos. Videos are everywhere now. And it makes me mad. I'll click on a news article and expect some nice quick reading, and then BAM, instead it's a video, usually with some stupid video advertisement, too.

Maybe it's because I'm borderline hyperlexic (or am hyperlexic) and have NVLD, but videos are pissing me off. Everyone makes all kinds of videos now, and videos are like clogging up the internet. I'd much rather just read stuff. Reading stuff allows me to multitask, switch back and forth, come back to it, listen to music, videos force me to watch it and devote attention solely to one video. I think I remember stuff much better if I read it due to my hyperlexia/NVLD, too. Arguably, too, reading is better, as you have to analyze the information more, as videos it's just shoved in front of you.

Obviously I don't hate the entire medium of video, and I mean they're useful and all, and it's not all bad, just I hate how as a society EVERYTHING is going to video when for the information being presented, it's not efficient most of the time. Do people get giddy over seeing themselves on camera or something? I especially hate most v-logs and the semi-talkshowish things going on now. Obviously there's a time and a place for all this sort of thing, just it's getting to be too much for me. I want my old internet back where everything was on simple geocities sites that took like 20kb to fully load with no flash and videos popping up everywhere.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Feeling like an extreme saturation of video has taken place?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

I'm the Ctrl+F guy so in instances similar to what you describe I'd also be hesitant to watch a long video on something I can read up on quickly.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 4:17 pm

Have you been to a modern mall recently? Oy! Near almost every kiosk, up on the walls, and in various store windows are videos of products playing in an infinite loop. They're even trying out some newfangled video scanning software. It scans a passerby, quickly determines what would suit his fancy using complex algorithms, then plays video ads that would appeal to them! I'm waiting for them to install video greeters at Walmart instead of real humans. It's inevitable. Highway billboards are now huge video ads instead of plain paper. They're installing videos to show ads at bus stops, train stations and the airport. You walk down a main shopping area like Westlake Center in Seattle and they'll soon have videos everywhere scanning you to sell you gender-specific products. Looks like all those sci-fi movies like Total Recall and Blade Runner had the futuristic video overkill paradigm right.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Have you been to a modern mall recently? Oy! Near almost every kiosk, up on the walls, and in various store windows are videos of products playing in an infinite loop. They're even trying out some newfangled video scanning software. It scans a passerby, quickly determines what would suit his fancy using complex algorithms, then plays video ads that would appeal to them! I'm waiting for them to install video greeters at Walmart instead of real humans. It's inevitable. Highway billboards are now huge video ads instead of plain paper. They're installing videos to show ads at bus stops, train stations and the airport. You walk down a main shopping area like Westlake Center in Seattle and they'll soon have videos everywhere scanning you to sell you gender-specific products. Looks like all those sci-fi movies like Total Recall and Blade Runner had the futuristic video overkill paradigm right.

Oh my.

Time to move to the woods.

And no, I've actually not been to the mall in like a year. Heh.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

If a video on youtube looks like its made by joe-schmoe - its probably crap.

There is no quality control on the internet.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 2:51 am

Probably because the "average joe" is now barely literate and can only write in "txt".

:evil:

...as evidenced by many of those videos being chock full of spelling errors throughout.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 2:56 am

Oh, thank God it's not just me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 5:33 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Have you been to a modern mall recently? Oy! Near almost every kiosk, up on the walls, and in various store windows are videos of products playing in an infinite loop.

Our library has continuously moving video loops about opening times, holiday dates and other information, and a reminder to be quiet. They have no idea that the movement is just as intrusive as noise for some people (yes, I did try to explain).

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 8:16 am

1000Knives wrote:
.........and I have to watch like an hour of stuff to get the same information I'd have spent 5-10 minutes reading,

I also find this aggravating. I refuse to get my information via video unless there is absolutely no alternative. It is very time wasteful and reviewing a piece of information so I can analyze it requires me to move the time cursor back and forth until I just happen to find the 5 seconds where that information was transmitted. That takes a stupidly long amount of time compared to just re-scanning a paragraph.

On the internet at large I will just google until I find the information in text form. On WP when people post videos in PPR and ask for comments on the content I absolutely will not participate unless they tell me what moment to move the time cursor too (if somebody says "what do you think about what he says at 13:26?" I will watch and comment).

TV news shows are the worst offenders and they do it for commercial reasons. They will give a teaser at the beginning of the show and then not give the information until the end of the show. I used to try and guess where at the end of the show they would say it and then Tivo the show and find it, but that became too cumbersome and annoying. When I first became a parent I attempted to get important information that the TV news shows gave alarming titles to like "The one thing at the playground that can kill your child" or "find out which common lunch item can kill your child" and so on. TV networks know that ...."will kill your child" is the sure way to keep parents glued to the TV show. But then I wised up and now only get the safety information from text sources. (The killer lunch item turned out to be hot dogs which my own Mom had told me to only serve to a toddler cut very small because of choking- it apparently almost killed my brother when he was a toddler and my Mom had to Heimlich him. Now you know.)

Transmitting information by video does seem to be increasing. I absolutely hate that. Except for documentaries. I do enjoy watching documentaries. But if I really want to know about something I will read a book about it prior to watching the documentary, which I just see as infotainment rather than pure info transmission.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 10:14 am

I hate this as well. I want to read the webpage not watch a video. I am in a library a lot and hate having headphones on so I can't listen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 10:44 am

1000Knives wrote:
I hate that everything is a video now. Before, when I wanted to research alien moon bases, government false flag operations, and secret Nazi inventions, it was easy. All I'd have to do is read about it. Now everyone is like "hey bro, check out this video about the Bermuda Triangle" and I have to watch like an hour of stuff to get the same information I'd have spent 5-10 minutes reading,

You don't have to check out a damned thing. If you do, then it is your choice and you have no grounds for complaint.

ruveyn

AspianCitizen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Have you been to a modern mall recently? Oy! Near almost every kiosk, up on the walls, and in various store windows are videos of products playing in an infinite loop.

Wellcome on Cardassia prime! Where propaganda TV pop everywhere! What a waste of resorces and energy!

About the all video on the net, I dislike it a lot also. But what I hate even more is the video adds who start to play without asking you. I usualy close the page. I prefer reading things than having someone saying it in a video. It's a huge waste of bandwith for crap. Wasting a gigabyte to share data that will be more efficiently shared in a simple HTML page using some 100 KB! Few more undred of KB for graphic and picture about the topic.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

I also wish there were more assignments of read this webpage in college rather than watch this video and write a summary of it.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 11:42 am

Multi-media high definition video is the future and books will become obsolete.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Multi-media high definition video is the future and books will become obsolete.

There is no sign that is happening. More books are being published than ever before. Ironically it is the e-book that will save the printed word.

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm

My auto repair books are garbage because it has no videos. Maybe it is a conspiracy by mechanics.